Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What states do you consider Southwestern?
Arizona 98 96.08%
California 35 34.31%
Colorado 22 21.57%
Hawaii 1 0.98%
Kansas 1 0.98%
Nevada 49 48.04%
New Mexico 98 96.08%
Oklahoma 21 20.59%
Texas 36 35.29%
Utah 30 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's nice to read somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. This idea that OKC is "southern to the core" is simply not true if for no reason other than the founders of the Boomer movement were mostly northerners. OKC originally had more northerners that southerners at it's founding.

As for seeing confederate flags license plates. One or two a week maybe?

And the association to the confederacy existed in the 5 tribes only and only two of the 5 tribes were solidly behind the confederacy.
I am baffled by the Rebel flags in OKC. My wife and I make a game of it and see how many we can count in a week. I wish it was 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 09:41 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
It's nice to read somebody who actually knows what they are talking about. This idea that OKC is "southern to the core" is simply not true if for no reason other than the founders of the Boomer movement were mostly northerners. OKC originally had more northerners that southerners at it's founding.

As for seeing confederate flags license plates. One or two a week maybe?

And the association to the confederacy existed in the 5 tribes only and only two of the 5 tribes were solidly behind the confederacy.
One or two a week, maybe? In Oklahoma City? I live in DFW, a much large metro than Oklahoma City's and in a state that was actually part of the Confederacy, and I hardly ever see Confederate flags anywhere. Last time I saw it was in the second quarter of this year when I went deep into Fort Worth to speak to a car dealer (a guy on a motorcycle had small Confederate flags flying on the back of his vehicle).

Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm looking at a population density map shows most people live in the CENTRAL part of the state, which is geographically the Great Plains and resembles more of Texas or southern Kansas.

Idk why people think Southwestern=only desert.

Southwestern can also include the slightly greener but still wide and open plains that include much of TX and OK.

We allow the Southeast to include the swamps of Louisiana and Florida AND the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee but the Southwest has to all look like Arizona and New Mexico? And the people have to all act the same?

The way I see it, Texas and Oklahoma are both Southern but not SouthEASTERN. Southern and Southwestern.

Where as Arizona is Southwestern, but not Southern.
You explained it well.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

."
Yup.
This.
Arizona.
New Mexico.
Texas.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If you're from Oklahoma City and visit states like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, or South Carolina and call yourself a southerner, expect to receive some laughs in your face. Oklahoma didn't EXIST during the Civil War, for one. Maybe you'll see some Confederate flags, but you can also see plenty of those in rural Pennsylvania. No SEC schools in Oklahoma, either. It's also too far west, even Arkansas is a stretch. Please, there may be some southern (Ozark-ish) influence in that state but there's also a lot of Midwestern influence. I'll admit Oklahoma is a bit like Texas in many ways, but even Texas is in a separate category away from the South and that's probably the way Texans want it.

Getting off-topic so I'm just going to leave this here and move along.
And still no SEC schools in Virginia or North Carolina, JayJay! Just messin'! Probably won't ever be now that ACC extended its grant of rights.

Oklahoma was actually the top target of the SEC along with A&M but OU's administration blinked because it would not leave Texas or Oklahoma State. The SEC got Mizzou and the Kansas City TV market as a consolation prize.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-18-2016 at 10:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
One or two a week, maybe? In Oklahoma City? I live in DFW, a much large metro than Oklahoma City's and in a state that was actually part of the Confederacy, and I hardly ever see Confederate flags anywhere. Last time I saw it was in the second quarter of this year when I went deep into Fort Worth to speak to a car dealer (a guy on a motorcycle had small Confederate flags flying on the back of his vehicle).
I've lived in OKC for a little over a year now and I've seen maybe one or two within that time period. I actually can't even recall the last one I saw in OKC.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
The southern half of the Oklahoma Territory (the non-land run areas) was settled mostly by Southerners, which made the distribution of settlers in the O.T. roughly half Southerners and half non-Southerners. The part of the state that remained Indian Territory until 1907 was mostly settled by Southerners (white, black, 5 civilized tribes). At statehood the distribution of Southerners to Northerners in Oklahoma (overall) would have been 2:1 and maybe even 3:1. Soon after statehood a cosmopolitan mix of Northerners flocked to Tulsa during the oil boom, and across Oklahoma many Southern sharecroppers migrated to the state looking for work.

And to the poster who claims there's no Confederate heritage in Oklahoma, I would assume you weren't hanging around the state capitol when the Confederate Battle Flag adorned one of the flagpoles, and probably haven't noticed the current Oklahoma History Center's Confederate flag that remains flying. Perhaps a little reading on Oklahoma's history will shine some light on why Oklahoma is Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is the only postbellum Southern state, IMO. Historically we were consistently referred to as Southwestern, but that used to include Arkansas and Louisiana (and Tennessee before that), and reflects how definitions of regions have changed over time, specifically how the Southwest today is perceived to be a distinct region from the South.

How a state "feels" is a particularly capricious method of categorizing a state into a region. The South is a region based on culture, not Kudzu, and being from one of those dry, heavily Baptist, twang talking, Oklahoma small towns chalk-full of cotton and cowboys alike, I am consistently baffled to be thrown into a general and vague "Midwest" category because y'all think the way the landscape looks is more important than Oklahoma not having a star on the Confederate flag. There's nothing wrong with the Midwest, but I would feel like a liar to call myself a Midwesterner.
Most Okies I know would agree that this is an accurate depiction of our history: the history I grew up with in my family of origin in south-central Oklahoma and a historicity that gels with the state history I learned in grammar school so many years ago.

Well done, StudyingOkie.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I've lived in OKC for a little over a year now and I've seen maybe one or two within that time period. I actually can't even recall the last one I saw in OKC.
Yeh, they're usually on cars, either the front license plate or decals.

Just this weekend I saw a moron with a large Rebel flag affixed to his old Bronco. Not necessary IMO. Apologies to anyone on this board if you're the moron.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:

Speaking of that, though it's interesting that the conference that Texas schools were in historically was the SOUTHWEST conference. And the UT band is called the Showband of the SOUTHWEST.

So despite everyone's insistence that Texas is "southern" there is some traditions that are contrary to that assumption.
I agree that Texas was the Southwest. this was way back when Illinois was the Northwest. But we have cars and indoor plumbing now. It's a different world.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree that Texas was the Southwest. this was way back when Illinois was the Northwest. But we have cars and indoor plumbing now. It's a different world.
The western third of Texas...out where the county highways are called Ranch to Market instead of Farm to Market, is Southwestern still though, in my opinion.

El Paso is closer to San Diego than it is to Houston.

As for Oklahoma, I think it's Southernness is increasing due to the fact that a lot of people are moving to Oklahoma City from the rural South, but the town is off the radar for people from urban areas and northern/west coast states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.