U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford area of VA. it has Virginia Tech and Radford University in the metro area and is near the mountains. https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black...ropolitan_area

Blacksburg, VA : Home

Christiansburg, VA - Official Website

Radford, VA | Official Website

Seconded!

I don't live there either but think it fits your criteria well given what I have experienced during my visits.
Radford especially I think could be a great fit.

radford virginia fishing in virginia sports, outdoor recreation, places in virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 AM

624 posts, read 708,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No clue about the FD but perhaps check out the tri cities area of TN, Johnson City specifically.
Johnson City's fire department recently received a Class 1 ISO rating placing it among the top tier of fire departments nationwide.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 AM

97 posts, read 63,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerred View Post
Johnson City's fire department recently received a Class 1 ISO rating placing it among the top tier of fire departments nationwide.
That's awesome! My boyfriend wants to go to Tennessee because something about if you work in the fire department for however many years, if later on in life you get cancer, which a lot of fire fighters do, you qualify under workers comp. Something Florida does not have. Going up to a Tennessee for Christmas so we will definitely check out Johnsons City.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Seconded!

I don't live there either but think it fits your criteria well given what I have experienced during my visits.
Radford especially I think could be a great fit.

radford virginia fishing in virginia sports, outdoor recreation, places in virginia
Been researching a little and I'm liking what I see so far. Will have to save some money and take a trip out there. My boyfriend will be applying for jobs in the fire department come January all over a couple of states. That will probably be the ultimate decision maker wherever he is hired.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 51,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknapp1 View Post
I was just checking out Winston Salem, is knight dale comparable?
Knightdale is a small suburb of Raleigh. Raleigh is quite a bit larger than Winston-Salem. Knightdale has recently been named North Carolina's most affordable city and is growing at quite a steady clip. Let me know if you want to know more. I currently live in Knightdale.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuteach View Post
Knightdale is a small suburb of Raleigh. Raleigh is quite a bit larger than Winston-Salem. Knightdale has recently been named North Carolina's most affordable city and is growing at quite a steady clip. Let me know if you want to know more. I currently live in Knightdale.
I would absolutely love to know more!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:46 AM

57 posts, read 51,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknapp1 View Post
I would absolutely love to know more!
We love living in Knightdale! We are right off the Mingo Creek Greenway trail and are able to walk from our house to dining and shopping (Target, Lowe's Food, Bank, Pharmacy, etc.) The greenway trail is about to be extended from the Town's signature park, Knightdale Station. We've got a brewery and distillery that have just opened and are awesome.

Basically, there is this awesome energy and sense of small town community. The town puts on family friendly events like Dogtoberfest (dogs and beer at the dog park), July 4th, Easter Egg hunt, Christmas parade, the list is huge!

The greenway is also connected to Raleigh's system. You can literally get on the greenway and travel all the way to Downtown Raleigh or Durham without every getting in a car!

Here's a "Quick Data" fact sheet.

I work Inside the Beltline in Raleigh, it takes me 15 minutes to get to work. 30 minutes or so to the airport.

Sorry for the overload!

Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuteach View Post
We love living in Knightdale! We are right off the Mingo Creek Greenway trail and are able to walk from our house to dining and shopping (Target, Lowe's Food, Bank, Pharmacy, etc.) The greenway trail is about to be extended from the Town's signature park, Knightdale Station. We've got a brewery and distillery that have just opened and are awesome.

Basically, there is this awesome energy and sense of small town community. The town puts on family friendly events like Dogtoberfest (dogs and beer at the dog park), July 4th, Easter Egg hunt, Christmas parade, the list is huge!

The greenway is also connected to Raleigh's system. You can literally get on the greenway and travel all the way to Downtown Raleigh or Durham without every getting in a car!

Here's a "Quick Data" fact sheet.

I work Inside the Beltline in Raleigh, it takes me 15 minutes to get to work. 30 minutes or so to the airport.

Sorry for the overload!
Overload all you want! I love hearing about what people love about where they live. Looks like I will also have an excuse to get a dog! lol I also love the fact that you have a rail system, I've always wanted to live somewhere that has transportation to a city other than a car or bus. That's a big plus! The boyfriend wasn't to fond of the fire fighter schedule in knightsdale but Raleigh is close enough for him to apply there. We will definitely look more into knightsdale. How is the school system? I'm guessing you have a decent amount of medical offices as well? What about a major hospital?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Johnson City/Kingsport, TN (VA) area, Roanoke VA area, and just outside Winston Salem NC.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Johnson City/Kingsport, TN (VA) area, Roanoke VA area, and just outside Winston Salem NC.
I have been extensively researching all those areas so far. Probably going to visit in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or