U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:23 AM

97 posts, read 63,654 times

Advertisements

Recently I posted two threads asking about specific cities (Knoxville TN and Woodstock GA.) Now I would just like to see what cities you guys would recommend to live. Currently my boyfriend and I live in SW Fl. Outrageously expensive and I hate the year round summers. I am going to school for Medical Assisting and he is finishing up his Fire fighter/ EMT program. He is also a crossfire trainer on the side. I would love to move anywhere staying closer to the Eastern side of the U.S. from middle of Georgia up to Virginia. Here's a more specific list of what we are looking for.

1. A town that gets a decent amount of seasons (specifically fall is my favorite)
2. Small town with good amount of amenities outside of a city (30 mins or less)
3. Price range for houses $200,000 max for nice house with at least 1/4 acre of land 2-3 bedrooms
Rent $1,000 max
4. Good school system also with a 4 year college at least 30 mins away
5. Great fire department
6. Mountains/out door activities/ farmers market/ or small beach like fishing town
7. As low as the crime can get (I know you can't completely escape the bad)

I think that is about it for now. Let me know what cities match my criteria the best that I may not even know exist. I know you can't have everything on your check list because no place is perfect but I would like to get close.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 09:04 AM

242 posts, read 162,014 times
Conroe, TX; area.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Knightdale, NC (Outside of Raleigh)

Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Perhaps the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford area of VA. it has Virginia Tech and Radford University in the metro area and is near the mountains. https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black...ropolitan_area

Blacksburg, VA : Home

Christiansburg, VA - Official Website

Radford, VA | Official Website

Old 10-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Knightdale, NC (Outside of Raleigh)
I was just checking out Winston Salem, is knight dale comparable?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps the Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford area of VA. it has Virginia Tech and Radford University in the metro area and is near the mountains. https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black...ropolitan_area

Blacksburg, VA : Home

Christiansburg, VA - Official Website

Radford, VA | Official Website
I will check them out, thanks! Do you live in that region?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
No clue about the FD but perhaps check out the tri cities area of TN, Johnson City specifically.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:25 PM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknapp1 View Post
I will check them out, thanks! Do you live in that region?
No, but it appears to fit some of the things you are looking for. It also isn't too far from Roanoke. So, that may be an option for employment.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No clue about the FD but perhaps check out the tri cities area of TN, Johnson City specifically.
I'm very familiar with that part of Tennessee. It is definitely on my list of places to consider moving to. I love the surrounding Knoxville area and I have family in Speedwell as well. Haven't looked at Johnson city to much yet but I have heard great things.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
No, but it appears to fit some of the things you are looking for. It also isn't too far from Roanoke. So, that may be an option for employment.
I will look into those areas then. I just started to research some places around Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or