U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,572,952 times

Advertisements

The mid-atlantic is the best description. So much of the state is so different. It could easily be many states, eastern shore shares a ton in common with virginia, there was a secessionist movement in the eastern shore and parts of virginia to form Chesapeake in the 1970s so it doesnt have to give all its tourist money to Annapolis. Western maryland is more rural and five counties actually have an active secessionist movement now, Garrett, Allegany, Washington, Frederick and Carroll counties.

The suburbs around DC and Baltimore just control the state but most Maryland counties are far more conservative than the way the state (baltimore and the dc suburbs) usually votes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 PM

29,957 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
???
Being conservative isn't the same as being Republican.

I'd bet good money that Meridian isn't a majority Republican city although the county is (due to White flight to the suburbs).

Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 AM

3,331 posts, read 1,671,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
But you were surprised that Central Pennsylvanians do not have southern accents!?
Yeah, as far as accents go, I was a little surprised based on the "Pennsyltucky" stereotype of the rest of the state. I was expecting at least a twang, so I guess I was subconsciously relating rural to southern. But my main point was, if you go into deep rural MD or VA, you will definitely hear strong southern accents, whereas you won't (at least in my experience) in rural PA, NJ, or NY.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 AM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
It's a rich, liberal, northern state. Unfortunately, this year proves that MD/VA have far more in common with NY than they do with other historically Southern states.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,509,650 times
Soon VA -- then NC will be ours too. Watch as that southern border just moves right along!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Soon VA -- then NC will be ours too. Watch as that southern border just moves right along!
No.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM

135 posts, read 64,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Being conservative isn't the same as being Republican.

I'd bet good money that Meridian isn't a majority Republican city although the county is (due to White flight to the suburbs).
Well after white flight the city remain republican. Two or three years ago the city first democrat won the local election.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,996 posts, read 3,476,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, as far as accents go, I was a little surprised based on the "Pennsyltucky" stereotype of the rest of the state. I was expecting at least a twang, so I guess I was subconsciously relating rural to southern. But my main point was, if you go into deep rural MD or VA, you will definitely hear strong southern accents, whereas you won't (at least in my experience) in rural PA, NJ, or NY.
First of all don't lump in Maryland with Virginia, they are two separate states one is clearly more generically southern than the other.

Marylanders specifically even in the "rural areas" do not have a heavy Southern twang IMO. Definitely not in Western Maryland, maybe something slight in Southern MD, but the wild card to me is the Eastern Shore. Contrary to what I normally hear at least about Blacks from the Eastern Shore of MD, I really don't hear "South" in their accents. At least with the people from there that I've been exposed to. It's like a mid-Atlantic kind of squeally mix of Baltimore and dare I say NJ/NY when I hear them talk. I had two separate roommates in college both from Eastern Shore and they didn't sound Southern at all to me in fact I had to confirm that they weren't from Baltimore or Philly after they started talking. I dated a girl from Cambridge, MD and it was the same thing. They say "Yo" very often and definitely in terms of slang usage don't talk anything like people from the Carolinas, GA, or Tennessee. I know that southern cultural overtones have always existed on the Eastern Shore no doubt, but they way the people i've been aronund talk to me doesn't come across as necessarily "Southern".

Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,232,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
No they won't be. Both of those states are still culturally, linguistically, and demographically Southern. It's not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
Well after white flight the city remain republican. Two or three years ago the city first democrat won the local election.
Whites can still control the local political machine in a majority Black town. I also see that the Democrat that won the election is the city's first Black mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.