U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:41 PM

135 posts, read 94,371 times

Advertisements

It's not that people in the South don't respect Maryland, they just don't consider really a southern state. Then again, neither does most anyone else. It's the northern state with the most southern feel though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Most people wouldn't place Maryland in the South, including many Marylanders. The Mason-Dixon line is ridiculously outdated, I mean who's going to place DC and Baltimore in the South? Southern accents don't even exist in much of Maryland, maybe with the possible exception of Tidewater-ish accents in remote Eastern Shore areas or southeast of DC. Even Richmond down in Virginia, the former capital of the Confederacy, straddles the line between the Upper South and Mid-Atlantic nowadays. People further south don't hate Maryland, though. I don't know where that assumption came from.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
No it's one of the southernmost Northern states.
Maryland's official song

Quote:
Verse I

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!*
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

Verse IX

I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!
Maryland disagrees with you.

Anyways, all of the arguments that could be had is in the link in my first post.

Maryland is southern. And before you say it's not, my response to you is "not uh!". Now let us watch as this argument goes on forever.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:06 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,018,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You sure about that?

Maryland is an integral part of the Bos-Wash corridor, so to say it's not too connected with the Northeast is just off base. I don't consider Maryland to truly be Northeastern, but it certainly looks more northward than southward.
Even the maps you posted clearly show at least some pockets of Southernness in Maryland: particularly the Eastern Shote, where British ancestry is more predominant and "Coke" more popular seemingly in at least a few counties. You wouldn't encounter that in, say, New Jersey.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:12 PM

970 posts, read 1,640,209 times
Pennsylvania is southern too, but not as much as Maryland is of course.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM

Maryland is a Southern state, traditionally (and in some parts, some aspects, remains that way). However, demographically speaking, Southerners are certainly a minority there. But their roots in the state are deeper than those of the more recent, Northern-influenced transplants.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:22 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Maryland is a Southern state, traditionally (and in some parts, some aspects, remains that way). However, demographically speaking, Southerners are certainly a minority there. But their roots in the state are deeper than those of the more recent, Northern-influenced transplants.
That's why I suggested visiting Baltimore. It's authentic, without all the northern transplants.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:26 PM

436 posts, read 330,320 times
I would say Virginia is more northern and Maryland is more southern.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,267,707 times
Arguing that Maryland is still southern is like arguing that Florida south of Gainesville is still southern, there's just no point.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's why I suggested visiting Baltimore. It's authentic, without all the northern transplants.
Baltimore is mostly black. They may have Southern roots, but the dynamics of black culture & ethnicity are much different from those of white Americans. That is, black Americans are sort of a common ethnicity with Southern origins, but they've since dispersed throughout the country (although still highly concentrated in some areas of the Southern lowcountry).

But we don't call, e.g., Detroit "Southern" for its demographics, so this whole topic of discussion pertains most of all to native white ethnic Southerners, who comprise a sort of ethnicity of their own from shared experience living in the same land - although probably less solidified as an ethnicity than anything you'd encounter in Europe. Ethnogenesis happens even in lieu of explicit ethnic self-identity, but it's got to have some basis in shared history, heritage, culture, etc.

So developing a coherent ethnic idea of what constitutes a white Southerner is critical to understanding why Southernness cannot be completely written off the case of Maryland, for example, simply because most of its (white) population is non-Southern. Because many Marylanders are still Southerners on the basis of ancestry, combined with at least a modicum of cognizance of the significance of their predominant ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.