U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 05:44 PM
 
3,618 posts, read 1,568,120 times
Reputation: 2194

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Maryland's official song

Verse I

The despot's heel is on thy shore,
Maryland!*
His torch is at thy temple door,
Maryland!
Avenge the patriotic gore
That flecked the streets of Baltimore,
And be the battle queen of yore,
Maryland! My Maryland!

...

Verse IX

I hear the distant thunder-hum,
Maryland!
The Old Line's bugle, fife, and drum,
Maryland!
She is not dead, nor deaf, nor dumb-
Huzza! she spurns the Northern scum!
She breathes! she burns! she'll come! she'll come!
Maryland! My Maryland!
Maryland disagrees with you.

Anyways, all of the arguments that could be had is in the link in my first post.

Maryland is southern. And before you say it's not, my response to you is "not uh!". Now let us watch as this argument goes on forever.
Good post. People who argue that many parts of maryland arent southern influenced and huge Virginia connections havent lived there or lived in a DC or Baltimore suburb, which I did for many years and there is far more southern influence even there than northern. Maryland is a very diverse state, politically Baltimore and DC suburbs and cities control it but the rest of the state is very red. This is the south/ north divide in Maryland

http://www.mapsofworld.com/elections...s/maryland.jpg

Last edited by floridanative10; 10-18-2016 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,879 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Maryland's official song



Maryland disagrees with you.

Anyways, all of the arguments that could be had is in the link in my first post.

Maryland is southern. And before you say it's not, my response to you is "not uh!". Now let us watch as this argument goes on forever.
The Maryland state song is outdated. And culturally and linguistically And politically Maryland is not the South. So your argument fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,227,879 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Good post. People who argue that many parts of maryland arent southern influenced and huge Virginia connections havent lived there or lived in a DC or Baltimore suburb, which I did for many years and there is far more southern influence even there than northern. Maryland is a very diverse state, politically Baltimore and DC suburbs and cities control it but the rest of the state is very red. This is the south/ north divide in Maryland

http://www.mapsofworld.com/elections...s/maryland.jpg
Lies. All lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,583 posts, read 4,008,695 times
Reputation: 2926
why do people use Southern when they are talking about conservatives. why not just use conservative and liberal.

i can tell u people live in the 'deep south' aren't thinking about Maryland in general. when they do, it is due to riots in baltimore.

i lived in Frederick MD, about 40 minutes northwest of DC for two years, and i had no problem living there. didn't see any different culturally from SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,024 posts, read 31,400,710 times
Reputation: 13825
Most Southerners don't think much about Maryland at all, in fact, I'd be surprised if most could even tell you what its largest city is. When the Baltimore riots were going on several of my coworkers asked me "where's Baltimore at?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The Maryland state song is outdated. And culturally and linguistically And politically Maryland is not the South. So your argument fails.
So it WAS a southern state but now it's not?

Does that mean that Virginia is not a southern state?

Maybe SOME DAY Florida will be a northern state too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 PM
 
436 posts, read 331,131 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
So it WAS a southern state but now it's not?

Does that mean that Virginia is not a southern state?

Maybe SOME DAY Florida will be a northern state too.
Haha! Culturally, linguistically and demographically!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Brookhaven, Mississippi
135 posts, read 64,214 times
Reputation: 146
Yeah I respect Maryland but I was taught it was a border state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 PM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,979 posts, read 3,462,814 times
Reputation: 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Good post. People who argue that many parts of maryland arent southern influenced and huge Virginia connections havent lived there or lived in a DC or Baltimore suburb, which I did for many years and there is far more southern influence even there than northern. Maryland is a very diverse state, politically Baltimore and DC suburbs and cities control it but the rest of the state is very red. This is the south/ north divide in Maryland

http://www.mapsofworld.com/elections...s/maryland.jpg
Well Pennsylvania is very red outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, certainly has nothing do with how southern it is. In fact most states are blue in their urban areas and red in the rural ones, so that point is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well Pennsylvania is very red outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, certainly has nothing do with how southern it is. In fact most states are blue in their urban areas and red in the rural ones, so that point is moot.
PA is a good example. I like to refer to PA as the "south of the north".

I don't call it a southern state though lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top