U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,652 posts, read 4,039,691 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

actually many rural areas trend blue because poor people tend to vote Democrat. the suburbs are the main Republican strongholds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,511,745 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
actually many rural areas trend blue because poor people tend to vote Democrat. the suburbs are the main Republican strongholds.
Yep, gonna need a source on this one.

Much of the south that I've seen is rural (from VA down to FL!). To my knowledge, most of the south votes Republican. Most of the Northeast is industrialized and consists of cities and suburban areas... Most of the Northeast votes Democratic. Pretty rural areas in the northeast are red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,071 posts, read 102,800,958 times
Reputation: 33132
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
That's not true at all. Most reasonable people wouldn't consider Maryland to be Southern. I'm not from the South and I don't consider it Southern. It has more in common with its Northern neighbors today than its Southern ones.
Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line. It's southern. The northernmost southern state, but southern.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Pennsylvania is southern too, but not as much as Maryland is of course.
Seriously? Pennsylvania has a border with Canada, as well as with the Mason-Dixon line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 05:06 AM
 
970 posts, read 1,645,707 times
Reputation: 1539
Pretty impressive of PA, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,341 posts, read 1,676,072 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
PA is a good example. I like to refer to PA as the "south of the north".

I don't call it a southern state though lol
Unlike Maryland, Pennsylvania has never (even historically) ever been classified as southern in any definition. Maryland has always (and still is) officially been classified as southern by the Census, no matter how outdated it is.

When I was in a consulting job years ago, I had to travel to middle of nowhere PA (central PA) to a manufacturing site. The thing I found interesting was that, even though the place I was felt rural or "southern," the people didn't even have a trace of a southern accent. It was the weirdest thing because I was expecting these deep southern accents because of how rural the place was, but they didn't have one (although I'm guessing Western PA may be a different story; never been out there). Had a similar experience in upstate New York. In contrast, when you go to rural Maryland (southern MD or eastern shore) or rural Virginia, you will hear some deep southern accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 AM
 
29,975 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Reputation: 18571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
actually many rural areas trend blue because poor people tend to vote Democrat. the suburbs are the main Republican strongholds.
In the South, the only rural areas that trend blue are those with large Black populations (and, in south Texas, large Hispanic populations). Outside of that, rural areas are as red as can be. The only region of the country where rural areas are nearly solidly blue is New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,652 posts, read 4,039,691 times
Reputation: 2950
obama won majority of rural poor counties in SC and MS.

Bill Clinton won a lot of the southern states that are more rural. When the Democrats owned the south back in the day, it obviously was much more rural and poor and uneducated, and blacks were not able to vote except briefly during reconstruction. Democrats dominate with poor people regardless of where they live.

where the GOP does the best is the middle class suburbs. i always see Democrats on here typing to depict GOP voters as rural voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM
 
29,975 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Reputation: 18571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
obama won majority of rural poor counties in SC and MS.
That's because the majority of rural poor counties in SC and MS are heavily Black. The poor rural counties in much of Appalachia, however, are solidly red and majority White.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,511,745 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
obama won majority of rural poor counties in SC and MS.

Bill Clinton won a lot of the southern states that are more rural. When the Democrats owned the south back in the day, it obviously was much more rural and poor and uneducated, and blacks were not able to vote except briefly during reconstruction. Democrats dominate with poor people regardless of where they live.

where the GOP does the best is the middle class suburbs. i always see Democrats on here typing to depict GOP voters as rural voters.
Nonsense. Look at the 2012 presidential map by county. Rural areas are solid red with some exceptions in the New England area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,652 posts, read 4,039,691 times
Reputation: 2950
why don't black people count as rural people if they live in rural areas. the point is, Republicans do best in the suburbs. democrats on here often described Republicans as rural. the burbs are not rural areas. the south was owned by Democrats when it was more rural and uneducated.

appalachia only recently became a GOP area due to the Democrats war on coal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top