U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,508,791 times
Reputation: 2928

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
why don't black people count as rural people if they live in rural areas. the point is, Republicans do best in the suburbs.
They count, but they also only make up 12% of the population. African Americans may tend to lean Democratic, but they are out numbered by everyone else in their area (unless they make up the majority).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:49 AM
 
29,957 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
why don't black people count as rural people if they live in rural areas.
Nobody's saying that, but Black people tend to vote Democratic across the board--rural, suburban, and urban in every part of the country. However, the majority of poor rural counties in the South vote Republican in national elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
They count, but they also only make up 12% of the population. African Americans may tend to lean Democratic, but they are out numbered by everyone else in their area (unless they make up the majority).
Obama won a ton of rural poor counties in SC and MS. In SC and MS, many of those counties are majoriry black. but again, mmost poor white people vote Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nobody's saying that, but Black people tend to vote Democratic across the board--rural, suburban, and urban in every part of the country. However, the majority of poor rural counties in the South vote Republican in national elections.
that's simply not true. most of the rural poor counties voted for Obama in MS and SC. i looked it up. the affluent counties like Greenville, Lexington, and areas like Mount Pleasant and HIlton Head went for GOP. as the south became more educated, it became more Republican. FDR got 98 percent of the vote in 1932 in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 AM
 
10,567 posts, read 13,143,048 times
Reputation: 6366
My question is: Do people in Maryland care what the deep south thinks of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
 
10,567 posts, read 13,143,048 times
Reputation: 6366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Obama won a ton of rural poor counties in SC and MS. In SC and MS, many of those counties are majoriry black. but again, mmost poor white people vote Democrat.

I think Trump has poor uneducated white vote this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,508,791 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
why don't black people count as rural people if they live in rural areas. the point is, Republicans do best in the suburbs. democrats on here often described Republicans as rural. the burbs are not rural areas. the south was owned by Democrats when it was more rural and uneducated.

appalachia only recently became a GOP area due to the Democrats war on coal.
Wrong, and wrong.

How far back are you reaching here? Back before the parties switched?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think Trump has poor uneducated white vote this year.
maybe, but that is mostly on the trade issue and energy issues, like coal and fracking. he is going to win a much higher percentage of black and latino votes as well than GOP usually gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Wrong, and wrong.

How far back are you reaching here? Back before the parties switched?
i mentioned 1932, in SC, FDR got 98 percent of the vote.

black voters started switching with FDR, not Nixon. FDR's top advisor, James byrnes of SC, supported lynching as a way of keeping black people 'in check'. so blacks switched to Democrat for economic reasons, despite the fact the Democrat party was still racist.

it doesn't make sense to argue they switched with Nixon, who was for integration, and knocked the Democrat/Dixiecrat George Wallace for his racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM
 
10,567 posts, read 13,143,048 times
Reputation: 6366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
maybe, but that is mostly on the trade issue and energy issues, like coal and fracking. he is going to win a much higher percentage of black and latino votes as well than GOP usually gets.
Trump is going to win more Black and Latino votes than the typical GOP candidate?

What world do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top