Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Trump is going to win more Black and Latino votes than the typical GOP candidate?

What world do you live in?
i have good instincts on this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Trump is going to win more Black and Latino votes than the typical GOP candidate?

What world do you live in?
I'm still wondering that myself.

I didn't think about this before, but he mentioned MS and SC -- Aren't these the state with the highest percentage African American population? Didn't we just get through saying that they tend to vote Democratic?

Urban WHITE people in the south tend to vote Republican. White people outnumber black people ergo southern states generally go republican except where the black population is much more significant.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm still wondering that myself.

I didn't think about this before, but he mentioned MS and SC -- Aren't these the state with the highest percentage African American population? Didn't we just get through saying that they tend to vote Democratic?

Urban WHITE people in the south tend to vote Republican. White people outnumber black people ergo southern states generally go republican.
suburban white people. white people who live in the city tend to be more liberal.

i did not think it would be controversial for me to point out GOP voters are largely suburban, not rural. i'm not saying there are no rural republican voters, but many of them are single issue type voters, gun rights primarily. maybe abortion and other social issues. often they will actually agree with Democrats on economics, taxes etc.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:09 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
that's simply not true. most of the rural poor counties voted for Obama in MS and SC. i looked it up.
I'm not talking about MS and SC; I'm talking about the entire South as a region. The majority of rural counties in the South are red counties. That's simply a fact.

Quote:
maybe, but that is mostly on the trade issue and energy issues, like coal and fracking. he is going to win a much higher percentage of black and latino votes as well than GOP usually gets.
You've gotta be kidding me LOL.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not talking about MS and SC; I'm talking about the entire South as a region. The majority of rural counties in the South are red counties. That's simply a fact.
Period. The End

/end

Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 AM

ok, i will do an analysis of counties in other states. i agree applachian has shifted to the right, because of the coal, energy type issues, and obviously gun rights. but, the majority of republican votes are in the suburbs, not rural counties. i wsa objecting to GOP voters being described as 'rural'. if you are going to generalize, 'suburban' makes more sense.

but, obviously a lot of poor whites vote Democrat. if Democrats couldn't win poor whites, they wouldn't be a viable party. their whole strategy is to lock up the poor vote. for example, Dems want to raise min. wage, even as high as 15 a hour, GOP generally opposes raising min. wage. obviously Dems have an advantage with poor people.

if 98 percent of peole in SC voted for FDR, that was a lot of poor rural white people voting for Democrats. FDR and Obama no different on economic, tax policies.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-19-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
ok, i will do an analysis of counties in other states. i agree applachian has shifted to the right, because of the coal, energy type issues, and obviously gun rights.

but, obviously a lot of poor whites vote Democrat. if Democrats couldn't win poor whites, they wouldn't be a viable party. their whole strategy is to lock up the poor vote. for example, Dems want to raise min. wage, even as high as 15 a hour, GOP generally opposes raising min. wage. obviously Dems have an advantage with poor people.

if 98 percent of peole in SC voted for FDR, that was a lot of poor rural white people voting for Democrats. FDR and Obama no different on economic, tax policies.
You're comparing presidents from largely different eras

Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
i have good instincts on this stuff.
No, you actually clearly don't.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
No, you actually clearly don't.
you might want to wait for the election results.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
ok, i will do an analysis of counties in other states. i agree applachian has shifted to the right, because of the coal, energy type issues, and obviously gun rights. but, the majority of republican votes are in the suburbs, not rural counties. i wsa objecting to GOP voters being described as 'rural'. if you are going to generalize, 'suburban' makes more sense.
In the South, it's both rural and suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.