Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:03 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do people from the deep south respect Maryland
lol What kind of question is that? (really not trying to sound offensive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 10:12 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Ah this ole chestnut!

Maryland is the northernmost southern state.

Have fun with this read!! This point has only been beaten to death with 160 pages of back and forth.

Maryland a southern state

Old 10-18-2016, 10:25 AM

14 posts, read 11,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Only Northern Virginia is part of the Bos-Wash corridor, whereas practically the entire state of Maryland is.
I did say it will eventually extend towards the Hampton area when they expand rail servce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They disprove your statement that Maryland has more in common with the South. The Eastern Shore is Southern for sure. Western Maryland is more Appalachia than anything. As far as the rest, you'll find historic elements of Southernness, but in terms of present-day elements? Not so much.
You have not traveled to southern Maryland which is very much in common with southern Virginia and parts of North Carolina.

St Marys County
Calvert County
Charles County
Southern Prince Georges County
Anne Arundel County

Old 10-18-2016, 10:39 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
I did say it will eventually extend towards the Hampton area when they expand rail servce.

You have not traveled to southern Maryland which is very much in common with southern Virginia and parts of North Carolina.

St Marys County
Calvert County
Charles County
Anne Arundel County
That might be true but it really sounds horrible. The traffic is already some of the worst in the country on the Virginia side and rail hasn't helped much. i hope the northeast corridor doesnt sprawl its way into virginia too far, the northeast corridor is ugly and virginia is a gorgeous state. these "mega regions" are hideous

Old 10-18-2016, 12:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

St Marys County
Calvert County
Charles County
Anne Arundel County
I don't have much experience with southern Maryland but from the little I know, it seems that parts of it may as well be grouped with the Eastern Shore from a cultural/development standpoint.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
lol What kind of question is that? (really not trying to sound offensive)
lol +1. I don't get no respect I tell ya!!

Seriously I don't get these questions either. How can someone not respect a STATE? And what's with people on CD talking about cities and states as if they have their own personalities. Like "that's disrespectful to DC"...cuz you know, DC or any city/state is clearly capable of being offended.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:09 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
The issue is that Maryland is not toconnected with the Northeast especially in culture. Maryland is more in common with the south. I suggest you travel outside the DC Beltway and explorer Southern Maryland, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland to see the true Maryland identity without transplants.
Just visit Baltimore to see how Maryland looks/acts without all the transplants.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 PM

345 posts, read 530,629 times
^I agree. I think that Maryland is more northern however the southern element is very evident.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:21 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
If you traveled between Richmond and Leesburg you would not have made that comment "not like northern states at all" and I said that Virginia has more Northern Simularities than Maryland does, oh and most of Baltimore may have simularities of other northern cities however Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, and Alaxandria also have simularities of other northern cities too...
No they don't. Virginia's cities are purely Southern and have more in common with cities to the South than to the North culturally, linguistically, demographically, and historically. There is nothing Northeastern about Richmond or Norfolk. Nothing.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:26 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Ah this ole chestnut!

Maryland is the northernmost southern state.

Have fun with this read!! This point has only been beaten to death with 160 pages of back and forth.

Maryland a southern state
No it's one of the southernmost Northern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.