U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:49 AM
 
14 posts, read 8,163 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I have been reading the forums and what drawn my interest in starting this topic is the statements towards Maryland not being affiliatrd with Virginia and other states in the deep south. It makes me wonder if there is some personal hostility towards the state of Maryland among people from the deep south especially people from North and South Carolina, Georgia, and other areas in the deep south not including Florida. People outside of the deep south do not have an issue with accepting Maryland as a southern state however some of the people from the deep south act as if Maryland was a 3rd world ugly state to be avoided like like a plague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
I have been reading the forums and what drawn my interest in starting this topic is the statements towards Maryland not being affiliatrd with Virginia and other states in the deep south. It makes me wonder if there is some personal hostility towards the state of Maryland among people from the deep south especially people from North and South Carolina, Georgia, and other areas in the deep south not including Florida. People outside of the deep south do not have an issue with accepting Maryland as a southern state however some of the people from the deep south act as if Maryland was a 3rd world ugly state to be avoided like like a plague.
That's not true at all. Most reasonable people wouldn't consider Maryland to be Southern. I'm not from the South and I don't consider it Southern. It has more in common with its Northern neighbors today than its Southern ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM
 
29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
I have been reading the forums and what drawn my interest in starting this topic is the statements towards Maryland not being affiliatrd with Virginia and other states in the deep south. It makes me wonder if there is some personal hostility towards the state of Maryland among people from the deep south especially people from North and South Carolina, Georgia, and other areas in the deep south not including Florida. People outside of the deep south do not have an issue with accepting Maryland as a southern state however some of the people from the deep south act as if Maryland was a 3rd world ugly state to be avoided like like a plague.
People from the Deep South generally don't consider Maryland Southern, but they most certainly don't think of it as "a 3rd world ugly state to be avoided like like a plague" (although some may think that way about Baltimore, but that would hardly be unique to folks from the Deep South). I'm a native South Carolinian currently living in Maryland and that certainly doesn't describe or or many of the other native Southerners I know living in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM
 
14 posts, read 8,163 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
That's not true at all. Most reasonable people wouldn't consider Maryland to be Southern. I'm not from the South and I don't consider it Southern. It has more in common with its Northern neighbors today than its Southern ones.
However Virginia has more in common with other northern states than Maryland does. Virginia has attracted far more northern transplants than Maryland did within the last 40 years....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:21 AM
 
14 posts, read 8,163 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
People from the Deep South generally don't consider Maryland Southern, but they most certainly don't think of it as "a 3rd world ugly state to be avoided like like a plague" (although some may think that way about Baltimore, but that would hardly be unique to folks from the Deep South). I'm a native South Carolinian currently living in Maryland and that certainly doesn't describe or or many of the other native Southerners I know living in the state.
The issue is that Maryland is not toconnected with the Northeast especially in culture. Maryland is more in common with the south. I suggest you travel outside the DC Beltway and explorer Southern Maryland, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland to see the true Maryland identity without transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
However Virginia has more in common with other northern states than Maryland does. Virginia has attracted far more northern transplants than Maryland did within the last 40 years....
No it doesn't. Virginia is culturally, linguistically, demographically not like Northern states at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM
 
29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
The issue is that Maryland is not toconnected with the Northeast especially in culture. Maryland is more in common with the south. I suggest you travel outside the DC Beltway and explorer Southern Maryland, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Western Maryland to see the true Maryland identity without transplants.
You sure about that?











Maryland is an integral part of the Bos-Wash corridor, so to say it's not too connected with the Northeast is just off base. I don't consider Maryland to truly be Northeastern, but it certainly looks more northward than southward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM
 
14 posts, read 8,163 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
No it doesn't. Virginia is culturally, linguistically, demographically not like Northern states at all.
If you traveled between Richmond and Leesburg you would not have made that comment "not like northern states at all" and I said that Virginia has more Northern Simularities than Maryland does, oh and most of Baltimore may have simularities of other northern cities however Richmond, Norfolk, Newport News, and Alaxandria also have simularities of other northern cities too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 09:43 AM
 
14 posts, read 8,163 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You sure about that?











Maryland is an integral part of the Bos-Wash corridor, so to say it's not too connected with the Northeast is just off base. I don't consider Maryland to truly be Northeastern, but it certainly looks more northward than southward.
Virginia is also a part of the Bos-Wash corridor and moreso when they expand rail service to the Hampton area. And those maps do not define or prove of Maryland not being affiliated with the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 AM
 
29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
Virginia is also a part of the Bos-Wash corridor and moreso when they expand rail service to the Hampton area.
Only Northern Virginia is part of the Bos-Wash corridor, whereas practically the entire state of Maryland is.

Quote:
And those maps do not define or prove of Maryland not being affiliated with the south.
They disprove your statement that Maryland has more in common with the South. The Eastern Shore is Southern for sure. Western Maryland is more Appalachia than anything. As far as the rest, you'll find historic elements of Southernness, but in terms of present-day elements? Not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top