U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2016, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Leaving Phoenix and Snobsdale
218 posts, read 237,583 times
Reputation: 107

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That's bizarre that she would make that claim.

Having grown up in a few different Midwest states, everyone sunbathed in the parks and at one of the several thousand lakes in the Midwest. A lot of people would be out there as soon as the temperature hit 60.
Not in Phoenix and Scottsdale, and not in Palm Springs, either. When it hits 60 degrees they turn their air conditioners on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Leaving Phoenix and Snobsdale
218 posts, read 237,583 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
She has an odd history with ragging on a Arizona every chance she gets. I don't know why she moved back if she hates it so much. Obviously she needs to move to SLC since it's the best place on earth, I've seen her say this many times.

As a single woman dating in Phoenix is tricky... plenty of very attractive men in Scottsdale and Tempe but they are the club promoters, bartenders, douchebags that are very superficial and only look for 10/10 women in return. Pretty much if you don't work at the clubs also you won't be able to date them either as most of my friends are in this scene and they tend to rotate each other. Arizona is very polarizing in terms of who you can date, and if you are interested in neither then it will be difficult. None of these options pursue a normal career or lifestyle and if they do they are married already or already committed to a long-term relationship. I say this as a native where Arizonans prefer to stick with their high school sweethearts. No shame in that but I'd say socially Arizona is VERY conservative in this manner. I'm 21 and almost everyone I went to high school with is already married, having kids, buying houses... the ones who chose to pursue college like myself are in long-term relationships with someone they met in college. Ones not pursuing college are again, working at clubs or are married with three kids. Again I'm only a few years removed and I think I'm the only one still single and about to graduate college... clearly I don't fit in! Haha

I think for dating cities do matter to an extent, cities attract certain people. Phoenix tends to attract blue-collar extroverts who are usually right-leaning and hobbies include hiking and drinking. Again nothing wrong with that, but it's the truth. I'll be a white-collar, left-leaning introvert with very different hobbies. If you want a real relationship opposites attract thing just isn't going to work out for the long run, if I can't find someone attractive in my eyes and is similar enough to me, that city is going to suck regardless if there are more men than women.

With that being said, there isn't a formula to what city will work for you. OP needs to be realistic and think about what she wants in a partner and find out what city will attract those men.
Great summary, what you wrote is especially true for the Midwest transplants. They didn't have enough money to go all the way to California, so they end up here. As for politics, I'm the opposite of the liberal blue collar types as you describe, I lean Republican. So maybe Newport Beach is a better place for me. And I'm liberal on social issues. Not so in Phoenix these folks don't like gays and Hispanics.

Where is the OP posting now? She complained that California is too expensive but with more intelligent people maybe its worth the premium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,693 posts, read 2,341,152 times
Reputation: 2708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
She has an odd history with ragging on a Arizona every chance she gets. I don't know why she moved back if she hates it so much. Obviously she needs to move to SLC since it's the best place on earth, I've seen her say this many times.

As a single woman dating in Phoenix is tricky... plenty of very attractive men in Scottsdale and Tempe but they are the club promoters, bartenders, douchebags that are very superficial and only look for 10/10 women in return. Pretty much if you don't work at the clubs also you won't be able to date them either as most of my friends are in this scene and they tend to rotate each other. Arizona is very polarizing in terms of who you can date, and if you are interested in neither then it will be difficult. None of these options pursue a normal career or lifestyle and if they do they are married already or already committed to a long-term relationship. I say this as a native where Arizonans prefer to stick with their high school sweethearts. No shame in that but I'd say socially Arizona is VERY conservative in this manner. I'm 21 and almost everyone I went to high school with is already married, having kids, buying houses... the ones who chose to pursue college like myself are in long-term relationships with someone they met in college. Ones not pursuing college are again, working at clubs or are married with three kids. Again I'm only a few years removed and I think I'm the only one still single and about to graduate college... clearly I don't fit in! Haha

I think for dating cities do matter to an extent, cities attract certain people. Phoenix tends to attract blue-collar extroverts who are usually right-leaning and hobbies include hiking and drinking. Again nothing wrong with that, but it's the truth. I'll be a white-collar, left-leaning introvert with very different hobbies. If you want a real relationship opposites attract thing just isn't going to work out for the long run, if I can't find someone attractive in my eyes and is similar enough to me, that city is going to suck regardless if there are more men than women.

With that being said, there isn't a formula to what city will work for you. OP needs to be realistic and think about what she wants in a partner and find out what city will attract those men.
I'm 32, and still not married. I've dated a few times, that's about it. Haven't been in any steady relationships. Guess I'm not serious about them or not trying hard enough, and coming from Colorado, some some of my peers are still single, separated or divorced. That's the way it is up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,077 posts, read 2,109,467 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
She has an odd history with ragging on a Arizona every chance she gets. I don't know why she moved back if she hates it so much. Obviously she needs to move to SLC since it's the best place on earth, I've seen her say this many times.

Interesting to hear. I thought the OP only ragged in and about the Colorado and Colorado Springs forums but in those posts Omaha is the best place on earth.


A number of posts on here tend to lead one to think the OP is female. However, I have seen some of the exact same rants, verbatim, in our local newspapers that are attributed to a male author.


Multiple personality disorder perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,071 times
Reputation: 17
Shortage of single guys in the US? LOL. Obviously you haven't created an online dating profile. Give it a try. You will get so many messages that you won't even be able to read them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
2,693 posts, read 2,341,152 times
Reputation: 2708
I'm sure if the OP is an attractive woman, she wouldn't have problems finding a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2016, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Reputation: 3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Great summary, what you wrote is especially true for the Midwest transplants. They didn't have enough money to go all the way to California, so they end up here. As for politics, I'm the opposite of the liberal blue collar types as you describe, I lean Republican. So maybe Newport Beach is a better place for me. And I'm liberal on social issues. Not so in Phoenix these folks don't like gays and Hispanics.

Where is the OP posting now? She complained that California is too expensive but with more intelligent people maybe its worth the premium.
No I mean republican blue collar types end up here.

Idk but she's probably posting about Utah somewhere. Read somewhere that she said Provo was her favorite city... and then she comes on here and complains that our version of Provo--Gilbert--is terrible at dating. Mormons marry extremely early in life for some reason, or at least it sure does seem that way. And then have a ton of kids. So that's probably why. You can't desire a place that is practically the pinnacle of social conservatism and then complain that because you missed the peak of dating in a place of reigning social conservatism (before drinking age) this one factor sucks. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I guess you can say the other way around also works, if you want to marry young and have kids, put your family first always before education or career (again, nothing wrong with either option) but you live in a place that is much more socially progressive and none of the men want to settle down it'll also bite you in the ***.

Phoenix fits much more in the realm of social conservatism when it comes to dating and in much other aspects people don't seem to realize... Plenty of "social liberals" view Phoenix as still pretty conservative and we see this with our current drug policy (might change in a couple weeks though), how SOME of Arizonan elected officials are pretty ignorant and discriminatory to Latinos (see mayor of Huachuca City) and of course the very prevailing attitude of the area points to favoring other red and socially conservative areas over being like other major cities which are historically more progressive. Phoenix is just a conservative suburb that grew too big, those attitudes haven't changed and that is OK for some people and NOT OK for others. You see this in how people socialize and how people date amongst other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'm 32, and still not married. I've dated a few times, that's about it. Haven't been in any steady relationships. Guess I'm not serious about them or not trying hard enough, and coming from Colorado, some some of my peers are still single, separated or divorced. That's the way it is up there.
Colorado appears to be a bit more socially progressive where more people will put career or other things before starting their own families or long-term relationships. It seems about the opposite here in not only Phoenix but all over Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Interesting to hear. I thought the OP only ragged in and about the Colorado and Colorado Springs forums but in those posts Omaha is the best place on earth.


A number of posts on here tend to lead one to think the OP is female. However, I have seen some of the exact same rants, verbatim, in our local newspapers that are attributed to a male author.


Multiple personality disorder perhaps?
Huh I haven't gone through her post history but it would be interesting to read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exime View Post
Shortage of single guys in the US? LOL. Obviously you haven't created an online dating profile. Give it a try. You will get so many messages that you won't even be able to read them all.
Yeah but if you are an older lady or if you're young and single like myself but also a complete weirdo then you won't have an easy time, haha. I have never had problems finding a guy interested in me, but I do have problems finding a guy that I am interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 07:26 AM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,123,469 times
Reputation: 2152
In the urban planning forum she bags on urbanism and extols the virtues of suburban sprawl and big-box chains and McMansions yet complains that that's where everyone is married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 PM
 
594 posts, read 486,026 times
Reputation: 761
Default I think the trick is on us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
In the urban planning forum she bags on urbanism and extols the virtues of suburban sprawl and big-box chains and McMansions yet complains that that's where everyone is married?
She ( He ???) Has played all of us.
I've also noticed a pattern...they always pit the larger city against the smaller city in each STATE they choose.
Example....Colorado Springs is better than Denver.....Reno is better than Las Vegas....Tucson is better than Phoenix....etc etc.
And because of the negative people in those states, they always have aa audience.
I really think the OP starts these negative threads for reputation points, or post reads or something.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the OP is a member of multiple sites with monetary implications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 AM
 
895 posts, read 1,251,346 times
Reputation: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Phoenix is certainly a men's market as long as a guy has a pulse, he has a massive selection of women to choose from.

Las Vegas is another city with the massive leisure and hospitality industry that it's a very rare to see a single guy as men have a huge variety of any type of woman to choose from.
Did you have Bourbon for breakfast?


Phoenix has a golf course on every corner and 90% of golfers are men. We are the golf capitol of the world.


Las Vegas is the poker capitol of the world and 85% of poker players are men.


Check the "Where the Singles Are" map again from the post on page 1. You are on ground zero for "far too many single men" and any woman with a pulse can land several guys in Phoenix. Average women are spectacular.


If you move to NYC you will shrivel up and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top