U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Washington-Oregon 1 2.22%
Southern California-Arizona 8 17.78%
Northern Texas- Oklahoma 2 4.44%
Illinois-Indiana 2 4.44%
North Carolina-South Carolina 5 11.11%
New York-New Jersey 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 01:47 PM

135 posts, read 94,280 times

Advertisements

When you say Northern Texas are you talking about the panhandle or like DFW area? That would change who the big brother vs little brother is in that comparison. Regardless though I voted for NY-NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 694,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
It's actually Pennsylvania/Delaware. The Maryland connection is nowhere near as strong.
I second this. Delaware is tied to Philadelphia, whereas Maryland is about Baltimore and D.C. It's easy to forget about Delaware when the most populated border area is the Virginia one and Pennsylvania is also closer to more people.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:40 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
I second this. Delaware is tied to Philadelphia, whereas Maryland is about Baltimore and D.C. It's easy to forget about Delaware when the most populated border area is the Virginia one and Pennsylvania is also closer to more people.
Yup. While there are some brave souls who may make the commute to Baltimore for work, the majority of Delaware is tied to SE Pennsylvania. Southern Delaware is more aligned with Maryland, specifically Salisbury and Ocean City, and Northern Delaware has Elkton, MD as a bedroom community, but those areas pale in comparison with the populated areas surrounding D.C. and Baltimore.

Delaware's connection to Maryland is far behind Pennsylvania's, which makes sense, as Delaware used to actually be a part of PA and the majority of its population is within Greater Philadelphia. Don't get me wrong, there's a Maryland connection, as you'll see some Orioles gear in places, especially south of the Canal, and people commute to BWI for flights all the time, but it's not as strong as the PA one. I'd put it slightly above New Jersey's connection to Delaware, but that's much more debatable imo.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:41 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The state of New Jersey is largely reliant on New York City in the north, and to a lesser extent, Philadelphia in the south. New Jersey is incredibly interconnected to both cities, moreso then anywhere else in the country.

I always joked that it made sense for NYC to leave New York and Philadelphia to leave Pennsylvania, and just become part of a Mega New Jersey, lol.
Hah-me too. It would instantly become my favorite state.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:05 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,400,204 times
Quote:
New York-New Jersey, easily. The two most intertwined states in the nation, but the NY side of the NYC metro has more people than the entire state of NJ, which leads to Jersey being looked down upon.
Eh I don't think that's necessarily why people look down on New Jersey. Northeast New Jersey boasts the highest numbers of population density in the nation so it's not like the area is lacking urbanity or people.

I think it has more to do with the unattractive industrial scenery along the turnpike and the towns that were hit hard by de-industrialization. People see those ugly sites and base the whole perception of the state solely on that or tv shows. Little to do they know NJ is one of the most educated and wealthy states in the nation

Old 10-21-2016, 05:38 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Eh I don't think that's necessarily why people look down on New Jersey. Northeast New Jersey boasts the highest numbers of population density in the nation so it's not like the area is lacking urbanity or people.

I think it has more to do with the unattractive industrial scenery along the turnpike and the towns that were hit hard by de-industrialization. People see those ugly sites and base the whole perception of the state solely on that or tv shows. Little to do they know NJ is one of the most educated and wealthy states in the nation
That is the result of New Jersey basically being the suburb of two of some of the most importance cities in the United States.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
It's actually Pennsylvania/Delaware. The Maryland connection is nowhere near as strong.
Agreed. I have lived in all three states, and Delaware is definitely more related to Pennsylvania than it is to Maryland, other than the DelMarVa Pennisula area, which is less populated and less important than Wilmington and northern Delaware. Wilmington gets the Phila. televison channels and follow their sports teams and are actually part of the Phila. metro area.

The one area where the ties are greater between Marylanders and Delawarians is the Delaware beaches. People from Maryland tend to go to the Delaware Beaches (if they don't go to Ocean City, MD), while people in PA tend to go to the Jersey Shore. But even with that, I still think Delaware "belongs" to Pennsylvania more than it "belongs" to Maryland.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:26 PM

17,655 posts, read 4,055,214 times
New York/New jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or