Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for happy, healthy, empowered black women?
Los Angeles 3 27.27%
Chicago 4 36.36%
New York 3 27.27%
Hawaii or someplace outside of mainland North America. 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:30 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
I'm not knocking the cities on your poll but I think the cities seem like they're hostile/competitive environment for a black woman in my opinion . Come on down south, we're everyone cool, calm, and collective and enjoy mild winters and hot summers. Atlanta metro area is the popular spot for successful black women.
I think a lot of people would disagree with this. Sure, there are places like ATL and Houston, but the south isn't exactly a multicultural utopia. Tradition carries a lot of clout south of the Mason-Dixon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM

135 posts, read 93,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I think a lot of people would disagree with this. Sure, there are places like ATL and Houston, but the south isn't exactly a multicultural utopia. Tradition carries a lot of clout south of the Mason-Dixon.
Everyone is cool down here. Their are a few bad apples here and there in the south but it's no different than any other region in this country. If traditions carries a lot of clout then why is a lot of people from other regions relocating below the imaginary line to states like Tennessee, Georgia, North & South Carolina's, Virginia, Florida, Texas, and etc??? The south is the fastest growing region in the country.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:38 PM

408 posts, read 580,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballtea View Post
I am a highly educated, kind, smart, generally happy-go-lucky black women (early 30s) living in Chicago and feeling disheartened by the corporate work environments I've experienced up to now. I am in the process of a career shift (doesn't matter where from or to...I am speaking generally bc I'd rather not have direct input into my personal decision...just a general question instead). I'd like to know what fields/work environments and also what cities offer a space where black women feel most at peace? Where micro aggressions are few and far between. Where you are treated with dignity and respect if you give the same. Where being pretty in addition to being a woman in addition to being a woman of color is not counted against you. Where your expertise/experience/creative ideas are valued.

I'd love to hear from a wide range of career paths and cities. From media to medicine to whatever...

Thanks in advance for your input.
First, your poll options are extremely limited...you live in Chicago already and you are experiencing micro- aggression, and off-putting tendencies by your white co-workers. So why would you stay?!

I would say DC would be a 2nd or 3rd option
2.Houston
1. ATLANTA

There are many black women here that hold high positions in accounting, finance, medical, public relations, media, and various other stem fields. I think the most important thing with being at "peace" is choosing the right friendships, and life-balance outside of work. If you come to any city above with a pre-cautious attitude or hang-up about your abilities or if people will be coming for your neck, than your fear's will come true.

You can change the location, but always know "painful" interactions with those who don't understand you or your love for your skin will occur...more.than.once. in your lifetime in any city thats in this Country at some point.

Last edited by BoiWonder13; 10-21-2016 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling adjustments.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:16 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Most important thing is for you to know your stuff no matter what that stuff is...that tends to put the micro-aggression to a minimum...also please make sure that this is racial and not just standard office nastiness...DC has nasty political office environments just like everywhere else but I would put us at number one for the best environment for professional Black women from the racial perspective...that doesn't mean it cant get nasty...I have seen tons of office nastiness among Black people

I am actually confused and more than a little suspicious of the poll...don't know why anybody would choose any of those for the question being put forth

Old 10-21-2016, 02:32 PM

515 posts, read 623,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southside89 View Post
Everyone is cool down here. Their are a few bad apples here and there in the south but it's no different than any other region in this country. If traditions carries a lot of clout then why is a lot of people from other regions relocating below the imaginary line to states like Tennessee, Georgia, North & South Carolina's, Virginia, Florida, Texas, and etc??? The south is the fastest growing region in the country.
Just because the south has been the fastest growing region in the country does not mean it is the best area for a person of color. However, Atlanta is a good place to start.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM

135 posts, read 93,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Just because the south has been the fastest growing region in the country does not mean it is the best area for a person of color. However, Atlanta is a good place to start.
It doesn't? Do you know a black person experience more racism in the Midwest, Northeast, West Coast regions than the south? Cities up north and west are segregated, hostile, and competitive environments.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:28 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
White racism? That in itself is a racist comment. The majority of racism I experienced between multiple and mixed races all occurred in the South, it's not just whites. Racism isn't color or nationality specific. Numerous times I witnessed one culture attacking another culture within the same race and people ripping on others in their race because of different physical features. I come from a mixed family so I have heard it all.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:46 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
I am a highly educated, kind, smart, generally happy-go-lucky black women (early 30s) living in Chicago and feeling disheartened by the corporate work environments I've experienced up to now. I am in the process of a career shift (doesn't matter where from or to...I am speaking generally bc I'd rather not have direct input into my personal decision...just a general question instead). I'd like to know what fields/work environments and also what cities offer a space where black women feel most at peace? Where micro aggressions are few and far between. Where you are treated with dignity and respect if you give the same. Where being pretty in addition to being a woman in addition to being a woman of color is not counted against you. Where your expertise/experience/creative ideas are valued.

I'd love to hear from a wide range of career paths and cities. From media to medicine to whatever...

Thanks in advance for your input.
I'm gonna be honest with you.

The real world is not a liberal arts college on the West Coast. If a co-worker or boss directs racism, sexism or any kind of harassment at you then that is completely unacceptable and should be reported to HR or potentially you should seek legal counsel.

If you do your job well, are productive and follow general office rules I doubt the majority of corporate employers in Chicago are going to hold it against you that you are a woman of color.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:28 PM

112 posts, read 115,152 times
None

Old 10-22-2016, 06:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
I am a highly educated, kind, smart, generally happy-go-lucky black woman (early 30's)...I am in the process of a career shift (doesn't matter where from or to...I'd like to know...what cities offer a space where black women feel most at peace? ...Where being pretty in addition to being a woman in addition to being a woman of color is not counted against you...Where you are treated with dignity and respect if you give the same. Where your expertise/experience/creative ideas are valued.
If you are truly the woman you say you are, be determined enough to unshackle yourself from America entirely and venture forth to one of Africa's huge Emerald Cities of Black Gold - Lagos or Kinshasa. These megacities possess the largest black populations on the planet.

Both Lagos and Kinshasa are dream cities for millions of dark skinned people seeking acceptance and accomplishment. If you're brave enough to take the first step, your beauty, intelligence and education will prove to be assets that will be greatly appreciated and rewarded, while your past may be left far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.