U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for happy, healthy, empowered black women?
Los Angeles 3 27.27%
Chicago 4 36.36%
New York 3 27.27%
Hawaii or someplace outside of mainland North America. 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:37 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Thicken your skin a little with regards to "microaggression". People will always say things that offend you no matter what skin color, brush it off.
LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
White racism? That in itself is a racist comment. The majority of racism I experienced between multiple and mixed races all occurred in the South, it's not just whites. Racism isn't color or nationality specific. Numerous times I witnessed one culture attacking another culture within the same race and people ripping on others in their race because of different physical features. I come from a mixed family so I have heard it all.
Racism is systemic oppression. No other race of people has the population and status to control policy and laws to affect a whole race of people, so you would be incorrect. You're talking about prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you.

The real world is not a liberal arts college on the West Coast. If a co-worker or boss directs racism, sexism or any kind of harassment at you then that is completely unacceptable and should be reported to HR or potentially you should seek legal counsel.

If you do your job well, are productive and follow general office rules I doubt the majority of corporate employers in Chicago are going to hold it against you that you are a woman of color.
I take it you aren't black?

Stop denying our experiences and answer her question.

With that said, you will find some form of racism in every city across this nation. I don't think Atlanta or DC automatically means you won't experience racism. Perhaps you should just move to get a new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:01 AM

794 posts, read 1,000,668 times
Oh dear lord this thread is ridiculous! Be careful, the scary white racists can get you in any city....

I feel the mods should remove this thread for obvious reasons.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,994 times
I'm an African American woman who grew up in NY, spent a significant amount of time in DC, and currently reside in Atlanta.

Pros of DC:
- Plenty of things to do in terms of entertainment, shopping festivals, activities etc
- Mild weather & 4 seasons (very few natural disasters than other parts of the US
- Central location (you can head out to NY, Philly, VA, B'more etc in a short period of time)
- Diversity of people
- Variety of Neighborhoods

Cons of DC:
- High Crime Rate
- Traffic which causes daily commutes to be stressful (best solution - live near your workplace or work from home)
- High cost of living (moving further out in the Suburbs will cause a lot of stress because of the commute to work)

Life in NY is similar to DC except the train system in NY is better than DC.

Life in Atlanta used to be sweet in the 90's and early 2000's but the job market isn't the greatest. It's highly congested. They're constantly building apartment communities yet they haven't enhanced the transit system (Marta).
The Marta is decent if you live near a station however the neighborhoods tend to be a bit sketchy living near the stations.

I don't know what kind of time and $$ you have but if at all possible, plan a trip; spend a few days in each city, rent a car, drive around a bit, hop on train - that will give you a good feel of each area.

Best Wishes!

Old 10-23-2016, 11:02 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Oh dear lord this thread is ridiculous! Be careful, the scary white racists can get you in any city....

I feel the mods should remove this thread for obvious reasons.
Could have just not commented instead if you would rather not talk about it.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I think a lot of people would disagree with this. Sure, there are places like ATL and Houston, but the south isn't exactly a multicultural utopia. Tradition carries a lot of clout south of the Mason-Dixon.
Nope. You're wrong. At worse, no more than any other region carries their "traditions". Race relations are just as good here, in some cases better, than most other regions. As I can see, there tends to be a "tradition" of Southern stereotyping outside of the South still in existence in 2016, lol.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireballtea View Post
I am a highly educated, kind, smart, generally happy-go-lucky black women (early 30s) living in Chicago and feeling disheartened by the corporate work environments I've experienced up to now. I am in the process of a career shift (doesn't matter where from or to...I am speaking generally bc I'd rather not have direct input into my personal decision...just a general question instead). I'd like to know what fields/work environments and also what cities offer a space where black women feel most at peace? Where micro aggressions are few and far between. Where you are treated with dignity and respect if you give the same. Where being pretty in addition to being a woman in addition to being a woman of color is not counted against you. Where your expertise/experience/creative ideas are valued.

I'd love to hear from a wide range of career paths and cities. From media to medicine to whatever...

Thanks in advance for your input.
I think, generally speaking, you should do fine wherever you go as long as you're cool with people. No matter your race or gender, you're going to find a few jerks, but mostly great, accepting people. Too, the "micro-aggression" thing is just a psycho-babble phrase that makes people chase phantoms, be hyper-sensitive, and separates people more than anything else. If you give off a bad vibe, no matter who you are, you're going to have issues no matter where you go or what job you have. It's not a race thing, trust me. Racism comes in all colors and sexism comes from both genders. In most cases, if you're cool with others, you'll be fine. Good luck wherever you end up going!

Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Racism is systemic oppression. No other race of people has the population and status to control policy and laws to affect a whole race of people, so you would be incorrect. You're talking about prejudice.
Ironic considering US states and cities are majority minority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_minority#States

Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
I find this post hard to believe. Please.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,029,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Racism is systemic oppression. No other race of people has the population and status to control policy and laws to affect a whole race of people, so you would be incorrect. You're talking about .

Not to derail this thread..but with all respect I disagree with your interpretation of racism. I think there is a difference between racism and systemic racism. Clearly white on black racism is a far bigger problem than the other way around. To argue there is an equivalency in terms of impact is just silly.

But on an interpersonal level anyone can have racist thoughts or actions. If I'm a white person and I hire a white person over a better qualified person I'm being racist. But if the roles are reversed I'm not being racist, merely prejudice? Dosent compute to me.

Plus what about when we start including other races. Is an Latino boss who hires an Latino over a Black person being racist or prejudice?

So while I get the point that there is a reason we tend to focus on white racism over other types of racism, I dont get the insistence on minorities can't be racist. Seems a better focus would be on distinguishing between interpersonal racism and systemic racism.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Wait you are using microagressions in a non-sarcastic manner? I thought that was a made up thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or