Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for happy, healthy, empowered black women?
Los Angeles 3 27.27%
Chicago 4 36.36%
New York 3 27.27%
Hawaii or someplace outside of mainland North America. 4 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times

Advertisements

I am a highly educated, kind, smart, generally happy-go-lucky black women (early 30s) living in Chicago and feeling disheartened by the corporate work environments I've experienced up to now. I am in the process of a career shift (doesn't matter where from or to...I am speaking generally bc I'd rather not have direct input into my personal decision...just a general question instead). I'd like to know what fields/work environments and also what cities offer a space where black women feel most at peace? Where micro aggressions are few and far between. Where you are treated with dignity and respect if you give the same. Where being pretty in addition to being a woman in addition to being a woman of color is not counted against you. Where your expertise/experience/creative ideas are valued.

I'd love to hear from a wide range of career paths and cities. From media to medicine to whatever...

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM

520 posts, read 611,293 times
All second-hand, but I know black women who have had good experiences in DC.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
DC seems to the premier city for advancing black women. I would call it a black nationalist hotspot. Atlanta is another good one for black women.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
No.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:02 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I doubt that there is anyplace where you can escape the day-to-day BS altogether, or any vocation where it doesn't exist. But I would take a guess, from the professional women that I know, that the DC area would be a good location to consider, if for no other reason than the regionally strong job market, solid middle-class black communities, and generally liberal attitudes of the region.

And from other folks I know, I'd say that working in higher education can sometimes offer a few more psychic benefits to women of color, depending of course on the particular school. Colleges tend to be places where people are actually conscious of race, class, and gender. While that can be a double-edged sword sometimes, it's still a lot easier than working at a corporate law firm or on a factory floor.

New York is a world unto itself. It can just be hard on everybody!

Old 10-20-2016, 08:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Can you clarify: Are you ok with being in an area that has very few other Black people? Because with regard to your choices, Los Angeles and Hawaii have few, whereas New York and Chicago have many.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 PM

143 posts, read 158,643 times
If you live in Chicago now and you're unhappy and looking for suggestions on where else to go, why did you put Chicago as an option in the poll?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:53 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times
Thicken your skin a little with regards to "microaggression". People will always say things that offend you no matter what skin color, brush it off.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:56 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I agree with some other posters that DC might be your best bet.

From my experience, which is little, Chicago has a very rude and aggressive culture. I wasn't a fan at all. I don't think I could ever live there. All the other cities would probably be better. But then again I'm a white guy, so I haven't shared your experiences. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:07 AM

135 posts, read 93,794 times
I'm not knocking the cities on your poll but I think the cities seem like they're hostile/competitive environment for a black woman in my opinion . Come on down south, we're everyone cool, calm, and collective and enjoy mild winters and hot summers. Atlanta metro area is the popular spot for successful black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.