Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 6,336 times

Advertisements

For anyone reading, are there any Western cities that would be a good fit for a young insurance sales agent? Preferably ones that are reasonably affordable? By West, I mean NM, CO, WY, MT westward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 11:47 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastamongus View Post
Columbus is definitely one of the cities I have noticed would be a pretty good fit for me. What about other cities in Ohio? Or even Pittsburgh? I always got the sense that Ohio's other large cities are pretty grungy and crime ridden (which I admit could likely be a misconception). Minneapolis is another city I have looked at, but I do worry if the prolonged extreme cold might prove too much for this Florida native. The seasons in Pennsylvania, where I visit often, are just about perfect to me. Charlotte and Dallas would be lower on my list, likely options of last resort, because of the summers.

Columbus is a much younger city in terms of development than Cleveland or Cincinnati. We never had that same level of industry so when manufacturing tanked Columbus remained relatively unscathed while Cleveland got decimated and Cincinnati took a hit to a lesser extent. Those cities seem to have more "grit" than Columbus but they are turning the corner and arguably have preserved their historic cores better

Unless you're planning on living in the ghetto then I wouldn't worry about crime in Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinnati. All of them have old money or cookie-cutter suburbs and gentrified/happening urban areas.

As a recent college grad living in Columbus (originally from New Jersey/Metro NYC) I love it here. It's affordable, there's a ton of young people and development is occurring rapidly.

I don't know enough about Pittsburgh to give you a comprehensive answer but think it would definitely be worth looking at as well.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Just go where you find a job

Old 10-25-2016, 01:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Trust me on this, don't be picky right now. Put applications out nationwide and move to wherever you get an offer.
This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.