Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:52 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps look into Gang Mills NY just outside of Corning. It is a suburban community where Indians make up about 9% of the communities population and it is likely due to the presence of Corning Incorporated, a Fortune 500 company.

Lansing NY just north of Ithaca is another place that could work, as the village portion is about 6-7% Indian. Again, this is likely due to the presence of Cornell University.
Some restaurants between the 2 areas: Thali of India

Mehak Authentic Indian Cuisine - International Award Winning Chef with over 25 years of exotic culinary experience!

Ithaca Restaurants sea food, Beverages | Rice Specialties NY

New Delhi Diamond's – Ithaca, New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 07:06 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Indian Americtan Leadership Council

There are Indian Americans in every state. The larger populations, obviously, are in states with large populations. You can figure out the per capita, if you want. For the poster that said the Midwest might not have areas suitable, I believe you're wrong. I live in a smaller city, and there are people of all colors and ethnicities here. It boils down to where the OP wants to live.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Indian Americtan Leadership Council

There are Indian Americans in every state. The larger populations, obviously, are in states with large populations. You can figure out the per capita, if you want. For the poster that said the Midwest might not have areas suitable, I believe you're wrong. I live in a smaller city, and there are people of all colors and ethnicities here. It boils down to where the OP wants to live.
That was me i think. And i did say that i was speaking generally but that the generalization is a useful one.
And the o.p. can correct me if i'm wrong but it's my impression that he is looking for a rural American experience and wants to live somewhere "off the beaten path" but where the dominant culture won't give him a hard time. It's not my sense that he's looking for a place where there are others that share his culture or who are non-white. That seems to be an assumption that a number of people on this thread have made.

So, if the o.p. wants to experience rural American life where the aforementioned dominant culture, ie; white people, will be welcoming then, imo, it's more likely that he'll find that kind of openness and tolerance in a community where the people tend to be relatively educated and lean more to the left than the right. Again, a generalization but not an insignificant one.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:55 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
It really depends on where in the U.S..
For example, a small / rural college town in western Massachusetts would be a good option.
(Actually, a good "rule of thumb" ... any small liberal arts college in any part of the country would be a place to consider.)
Massachusetts is traditionally a liberal state and liberal often / usually = tolerant and open. Conversely and very generally the opposite is often true. Conservative = not so tolerant and not so open minded. I'm generalizing but it's a useful generalization.
Generally speaking, any rural college town in the northeast where the population is relatively educated and where, because there are at least some students at the college who are other than white, local people are used to some degree of diversity and so there would be more tolerance in such communities. Educated and liberal = .
A nice town in Vermont comes to mind. Norwich, VT. Just across the river from Hanover, New Hampshire where Dartmouth College is would be a great option.
There are many communities in the west, ie; west of the rockies that may suit you. And there are many that probably wouldn't.
Taos, New Mexico might be a place to consider. It's quite rural and it's a beautiful area in northern New Mexico. There are many artists and writers and alternative people so that's always good if your other than white.
There are many rural communities in both California and Oregon that you might want to explore. Re; Oregon ... research rural communities that are somewhat near to Portland.
Re; rural communities in California. Much of CA is very expensive.
Do avoid the central valley as the air quality can be horrible and after years of drought .... just avoid the central valley.
Research communities north of San Francisco in Sonoma and Mendocino counties.
Here's another generalization ... probably best to avoid rural communities in the mid-west and south-east. I know that there must be exceptions however. I just don't know where they are.
So these are just thoughts that came to mind. It's a big and diverse country. Lots of options. Have fun exploring and good luck.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your "useful generalization" of Conservatives and Liberals. As an Independent who leans Conservative, I know that is the way Liberals love to view and portray themselves. But the "tolerance" and "open-mindedness" is usually only projected when being agreed with. Your own assessment of Conservatives, Southerners, Midwesterners, and rural communities was itself intolerant and closed-minded. My wife was raised in Boston and her family still lives there. They are conservative and can attest to the difficulties of being Conservative in a Liberal state. Too, go to nearly any American university and state a conservative viewpoint or invite a conservative speaker to a presentation and see what happens. Diversity of ideas is frowned upon and openly denounced if it varies from a given narrative. I'm surely not saying some who are Conservative are not respectful of other's differences. It's a bit annoying and is wrong as well. I regularly call them out when I see it. But, in my experiences, it's even more unnerving when liberals self-righteously proclaim their "open-mindedness/tolerance", yet stray from that mindset if their views are being met with disagreement. That's usually when the name-calling starts, lol. I am an Independent Conservative. I live in NC. I grew up in a mixed race 50/50 lower middle class neighborhood in a suburb of Charlotte in the 1970's. I go to a racially mixed church (mostly black, 60% or so). I have mixed race family members and mixed marriage family member and friends. Most of my family and friends are Conservative, but many are Liberal as well. No one feels put out. I have gay friends who I grew up with who I still have a good, close friendship with to this day. We all agree on a lot of things. We disagree on other issues. We love and respect each other anyway. But every grouping I just mentioned who I know and has had my same experience would agree that your unfair and judgmental portrayal of conservatives is off of the mark. It give the OP an untrue, biased image of Conservatives, Southerners, Mindwesterners, and those in rural areas simply because they don't think or live like you. I really am not trying to be a jerk about all of this. Really, I'm not. It's just offensive and a bit tiring to be portrayed with stereotypes and preconceived bias' when you know what's being said about you is simply not true. I just hope and pray that the OP will see this and not rob himself of the scenic beauty, wonderful/friendly (and, yes, accepting) people, and unique regions of our nation based on misinformation.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:08 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Look at the election results two weeks from now. The rural counties that are Blue will be your best bet to find rural counties that are tolerant and inclusive. (Previous elections I would have defended some Red counties from generalizations but not this time around).

Old 10-26-2016, 02:11 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
It really depends on where in the U.S..
For example, a small / rural college town in western Massachusetts would be a good option.
(Actually, a good "rule of thumb" ... any small liberal arts college in any part of the country would be a place to consider.)
Massachusetts is traditionally a liberal state and liberal often / usually = tolerant and open. Conversely and very generally the opposite is often true. Conservative = not so tolerant and not so open minded. I'm generalizing but it's a useful generalization.
Generally speaking, any rural college town in the northeast where the population is relatively educated and where, because there are at least some students at the college who are other than white, local people are used to some degree of diversity and so there would be more tolerance in such communities. Educated and liberal = .
A nice town in Vermont comes to mind. Norwich, VT. Just across the river from Hanover, New Hampshire where Dartmouth College is would be a great option.
There are many communities in the west, ie; west of the rockies that may suit you. And there are many that probably wouldn't.
Taos, New Mexico might be a place to consider. It's quite rural and it's a beautiful area in northern New Mexico. There are many artists and writers and alternative people so that's always good if your other than white.
There are many rural communities in both California and Oregon that you might want to explore. Re; Oregon ... research rural communities that are somewhat near to Portland.
Re; rural communities in California. Much of CA is very expensive.
Do avoid the central valley as the air quality can be horrible and after years of drought .... just avoid the central valley.
Research communities north of San Francisco in Sonoma and Mendocino counties.
Here's another generalization ... probably best to avoid rural communities in the mid-west and south-east. I know that there must be exceptions however. I just don't know where they are.
So these are just thoughts that came to mind. It's a big and diverse country. Lots of options. Have fun exploring and good luck.
I would agree with this.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:15 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your "useful generalization" of Conservatives and Liberals. As an Independent who leans Conservative, I know that is the way Liberals love to view and portray themselves. But the "tolerance" and "open-mindedness" is usually only projected when being agreed with. Your own assessment of Conservatives, Southerners, Midwesterners, and rural communities was itself intolerant and closed-minded. My wife was raised in Boston and her family still lives there. They are conservative and can attest to the difficulties of being Conservative in a Liberal state. Too, go to nearly any American university and state a conservative viewpoint or invite a conservative speaker to a presentation and see what happens. Diversity of ideas is frowned upon and openly denounced if it varies from a given narrative. I'm surely not saying some who are Conservative are not respectful of other's differences. It's a bit annoying and is wrong as well. I regularly call them out when I see it. But, in my experiences, it's even more unnerving when liberals self-righteously proclaim their "open-mindedness/tolerance", yet stray from that mindset if their views are being met with disagreement. That's usually when the name-calling starts, lol. I am an Independent Conservative. I live in NC. I grew up in a mixed race 50/50 lower middle class neighborhood in a suburb of Charlotte in the 1970's. I go to a racially mixed church (mostly black, 60% or so). I have mixed race family members and mixed marriage family member and friends. Most of my family and friends are Conservative, but many are Liberal as well. No one feels put out. I have gay friends who I grew up with who I still have a good, close friendship with to this day. We all agree on a lot of things. We disagree on other issues. We love and respect each other anyway. But every grouping I just mentioned who I know and has had my same experience would agree that your unfair and judgmental portrayal of conservatives is off of the mark. It give the OP an untrue, biased image of Conservatives, Southerners, Mindwesterners, and those in rural areas simply because they don't think or live like you. I really am not trying to be a jerk about all of this. Really, I'm not. It's just offensive and a bit tiring to be portrayed with stereotypes and preconceived bias' when you know what's being said about you is simply not true. I just hope and pray that the OP will see this and not rob himself of the scenic beauty, wonderful/friendly (and, yes, accepting) people, and unique regions of our nation based on misinformation.
Yeah, yeah.
It wasn't my intention to be political.
I said what i said based on my experience and my observations and i've lived a bit and in a number of different places in the U.S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.