Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:16 PM

143 posts, read 158,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Participation trophies. Everybody's a winner. I fail to see how that helps to prepare anyone for the reality that they will face as adults.
You're fired for incompetence, but here's a trophy.
You're missing the point. I'm not arguing for participation trophies. I'm saying that they aren't a new thing and that they still give out trophies for merit today. But since nobody thinks for themselves anymore they talk about it as something that just recently started, when there really is no factual basis to support that at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
You're missing the point. I'm not arguing for participation trophies. I'm saying that they aren't a new thing and that they still give out trophies for merit today. But since nobody thinks for themselves anymore they talk about it as something that just recently started, when there really is no factual basis to support that at all
Maybe its just that its become more widespread? I dunno but I'm still very young but I've noticed a change in how kids grow up. When I was in elementary school we still played dodgeball. They stopped that in the mid 2000s when my brother and sister were in Elementary school and I was in Middle school.

Soccer moms ruin a lot of things.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:32 PM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Your first sentence is confusing. We were allowed to wear costumes after lunch, which was no problem because it was a neighborhood school and everyone went home. There was also a party with treats and games. Weather permitting, all of the students were led on a walk around the block so that we could show off our costumes to anyone who happened to be around. Moms, seniors, and store employees came out to watch.

When my son was in kindergarten, at the last minute, the school changed the Halloween party to an autumn celebration. That was long before 9/11. A few of the Christian ladies complained about devil worship in school.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:01 PM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I really don't care WHEN it started; it's rather specious to the overall argument. MY point is that the idea of it serves to regress the development of character in would-be adults.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:58 AM

270 posts, read 325,534 times
Remembered something else about masks. Sometime starting around the late '80s or so (again Oregon), masks started to be somewhat discouraged by public safety people and some parents, because it's harder to see while wearing a mask and they were worried about trick-or-treaters being hit by cars. So being able to see well in your mask, or preferably not wearing one at all, became sort of a thing. Wearing neon stickers on your costume was also encouraged for visibility at night. Those were the safety concerns of the day... friendlier times.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:18 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
I wasn't allowed to wear a mask at my elementary school, and I was a child in the 1990s.

When I was 6 I was the red power ranger -- not allowed to wear the mask.

When I was 7 I was The Mask -- but not allowed to wear my mask (to be fair I did accidentally scare a little girl haha)

8 and 9 though I was one of the mortal combat ninjas...can't remember whether the masks were allowed that time. I know my mom had a picture of me wearing one though.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I was not allowed to wear a mask in grade school for the holiday.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:49 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Remembered something else about masks. Sometime starting around the late '80s or so (again Oregon), masks started to be somewhat discouraged by public safety people and some parents, because it's harder to see while wearing a mask and they were worried about trick-or-treaters being hit by cars. So being able to see well in your mask, or preferably not wearing one at all, became sort of a thing. Wearing neon stickers on your costume was also encouraged for visibility at night. Those were the safety concerns of the day... friendlier times.
I remember that. It must have been a national campaign, because I was on the east coast.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:39 PM

924 posts, read 751,259 times
I'm going to say that we weren't allowed to wear masks - because I remember that some kids would wear costumes to school, but I don't remember anyone wearing a mask.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm going to say that we weren't allowed to wear masks - because I remember that some kids would wear costumes to school, but I don't remember anyone wearing a mask.
That's what I remember from my kids in the 90s. I know they didn't wear them to go Trick or Treating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.