U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 AM

539 posts, read 404,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You don't get out of your city, much, do you? It's too bad your elitism blinds you to the fact, that most of us in "middle America" are doing quite well. I know your intent is to sound all cosmopolitan and that, but you fail..miserably. Your post is almost laughable. No wait, it is.
Middle America may be doing well, but the narrative started by trump that the country is at its worst right now (even tho the stats say otherwise) gets a lot more play in middle America than it does in the major metropolitan areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:47 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
Middle America may be doing well, but the narrative started by trump that the country is at its worst right now (even tho the stats say otherwise) gets a lot more play in middle America than it does in the major metropolitan areas.

Weak.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Weak.
How is that weak? That is Trumps narrative he is pushing and obviously the areas where it largely works are not coastal cities. Again, this is a generalization obviously. There are conservatives in NYC and liberals in farm country.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:17 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,015,925 times
Quote:
How is that weak? That is Trumps narrative he is pushing and obviously the areas where it largely works are not coastal cities. Again, this is a generalization obviously. There are conservatives in NYC and liberals in farm country.
By farm country, where do you mean? California, the number one agricultural state? Just because people live in the middle of the country, doesn't mean they all live on farms. Your stereotyping doesn't paint a very nice picture, and does just the opposite of what you intend, I believe. A superiority complex, by definition, is an attempt to conceal the feeling of inferiority (look it up). People who feel superior based on where they live, need to get a grip.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Like it or not, those in "middle America" (or as Sarah Palin likes to say, "the real America") are going to have to adapt to the 21st Century economy or become permanently left behind and mired in a cycle of poverty. The regionalism and isolation of their way of life and culture (to be very generalized) doesn't jive with the globalized and interconnected America of the 21st Century.

Their anger and frustration reared its ugly head with Donald Trump.

For the record, while I grew up in a Northeastern state, it was very detached and isolated from any major city or big employment center. I left when I was 18, moved to a big coastal city, and never looked back.
Not everyone in Middle America are Trump supports. Quite a few flyover states are Democratic. Even though the costs are generally more prosperous, you still have plenty of prosperous flyover metros like Minneapolis, Dallas, Denver, etc.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
By farm country, where do you mean? California, the number one agricultural state? Just because people live in the middle of the country, doesn't mean they all live on farms. Your stereotyping doesn't paint a very nice picture, and does just the opposite of what you intend, I believe. A superiority complex, by definition, is an attempt to conceal the feeling of inferiority (look it up). People who feel superior based on where they live, need to get a grip.
Jesus, relax. Like I said it's all generalization. People work on farms in New York State and people live in apartments in Nebraska, we get it. It's impossible to talk about this without generalizing. Just like when people say the coasts they are talking about the Urban areas, same thing goes for flyover country or whatever, it's a generalization.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:52 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
In the DC area, pickup trucks and lawn mowers are associated with Hispanic immigrants.

There are few working-class whites left here. Hispanics have essentially replaced them. They're the new working class.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 AM

1,174 posts, read 655,073 times
Quote:
You don't get out of your city, much, do you? It's too bad your elitism blinds you to the fact, that most of us in "middle America" are doing quite well. I know your intent is to sound all cosmopolitan and that, but you fail..miserably. Your post is almost laughable. No wait, it is.
Actually I do get out quite often. Like I said, I grew up in a place that is culturally very "middle America". I know exactly what its like in those places. For some people it works, for others like me, it doesn't. It is a fact though that the economy is shifting to knowledge and service based, which will benefit high population, highly-educated areas far more then rural ones.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:00 AM

1,174 posts, read 655,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Not everyone in Middle America are Trump supports. Quite a few flyover states are Democratic. Even though the costs are generally more prosperous, you still have plenty of prosperous flyover metros like Minneapolis, Dallas, Denver, etc.
Exactly. It is not necessarily the coasts that are benefiting, but bigger cities, regardless of location. When I think of middle America, I think more of cultural attitude and lifestyle, rather then strictly geographic location. Chicago, in the geographic heart of the Midwest, is far better poised to thrive in the new economy then some backwater place on either coast.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:36 AM

135 posts, read 94,326 times
Quote:
I think the reason this election has happened the way it has is largely due to a rift between middle America and the so called elites on the coast. A place like NYC is unbelievably culturally different from anywhere in flyover country. Right now people in these large coastal cities are benefitting from an economy that has largely (and has been for 30 plus years) transformed into a service based economy. This plus the fact people in these big cities are looked at to be pretentious towards "flyover country" creates disdain. Basically cultural differences plus widening disparities of economic success between the big coastal cities and middle America have made it so it is almost 2 different countries.

(Live in Manhattan, originally from suburbia of a smaller city)
Not to make this political but if your theory is true I find it amusing in an ironic way that the person middle America has chosen to represent their interests (speaking in a general sense here) is a billionaire from NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.