Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 18,030 times

Advertisements

So, I currently live in Baton Rouge. As far as amenities, IMO, we don't have a lot. I lived in Atlanta about 7 years ago for about 2 years....I didn't mind it but I was single with no kids and I rented an apartment so I really know nothing about the city as far as what I would be concerned with now. My fiancé is from St. Peters, MO and he is homesick. So I am arguing Atlanta area and of corse he is arguing St. Louis area. I have family in GA and he has family in MO. We need tiebreakers! We want to move because we are tired of Louisiana. I am from Louisiana and I just really want a change/more amenities. I want to go somewhere that I won't be bored in. I want to buy a house in a suburb of either city and I would just like opinions from people who have either experience with one or both of those areas. I know their real estate prices are similar but I really don't know much else. Nightlife is not something I am interested in. Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!! What we like to do......we like to vacation a few times a year, we go out to eat often, movies, parks with our 4 yr old. I plan on sending her to a private school so school system doesn't matter either but crime DOES!!!! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 04:28 PM

59 posts, read 87,370 times
My OPINION: If you're worried about crime and are planning on living in the suburbs of either it's a wash you'll be safe. Depends really if you like the Midwest or South's bundle of scenery, things to do and culture, both are good, if had to choose between the two I'd take Atlanta. They're not so far apart that you can't go from one to the other and Atlanta's airport rocks you can go anywhere from there. Good luck ����

Last edited by danny07940; 10-23-2016 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Misspell!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:06 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Atlanta is a better city/metro IMO with a better near-term trajectory. StL isn't terrible but it's kinda stagnant.

Are your/his employment prospects the same both places?

Old 10-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Atlanta is a better city/metro IMO with a better near-term trajectory. StL isn't terrible but it's kinda stagnant.

Are your/his employment prospects the same both places?
Yes, he has a lot of experience in Management and I am a stay at home Mom as of right now...

Old 10-23-2016, 05:17 PM

Also as you know Atlanta's huge and spread out but manageable, its metro is probably 6 Million where St Louis is 2.8M. Some people feel better in a smaller city. My brother relocated to St Louis from the NYC area a few years ago (his wife is from there!) and wants to move to a sunnier less wintering area. Another cool thing about Georgia is you're close to Savannah and Charleston and the ocean if that matters!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
Also as you know Atlanta's huge and spread out but manageable, its metro is probably 6 Million where St Louis is 2.8M. Some people feel better in a smaller city. My brother relocated to St Louis from the NYC area a few years ago (his wife is from there!) and wants to move to a sunnier less wintering area. Another cool thing about Georgia is you're close to Savannah and Charleston and the ocean if that matters!
Yes! The spread out at Atlanta doesn't bother me but that is my fiance's main issue with Atlanta. "It takes an hour to get anywhere" Also he worries about traffic.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:34 PM

I know what he's saying but do like me go early or go late just stay away from crunch time!!!

Old 10-23-2016, 06:17 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlcal1204 View Post
Yes! The spread out at Atlanta doesn't bother me but that is my fiance's main issue with Atlanta. "It takes an hour to get anywhere" Also he worries about traffic.
It takes an hour to get anywhere in a lot of places. That may be urban traffic, suburban distance and traffic, or semi-rural, rural.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:58 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
I've lived in Atlanta. Your basic needs can be found in a 2 mile radius, like most major cities. The 'spread out' idea is so overblown.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
Quote:
If your fiancé is worried about traffic Atlanta is a no go.

If you feel you or your husband will be traveling a lot, go to Atlanta as their airport is far superior. Otherwise it's essentially a wash. St. Louis has some fantastic suburbs, no doubt, and in terms of offerings (outside of NFL/NBA teams, nightclubs, and African-American culture/entertainment) gives Atlanta a run for its money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.