U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.81%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.67%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 48 19.51%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2016, 06:14 AM

45,013 posts, read 36,268,604 times

Advertisements

As they say, I'm not from Texas, but I got here as quickly as I could.

I'm a former military brat and then military wife, so I've lived in many different states, as well as in Germany and Japan. My husband and I also love to travel and often visit other states and regions. I think the only regions of the US I've never visited are the Great Lakes region and whatever those big,square states in the upper northwest are. LOL Though I have gone to Minnesota (liked it, but it was in the summer) so that counts for something.

I moved to Tyler, Texas twenty five years ago, and yes, it was a culture shock of sorts. It took me about a year to stop hating it. Then it took me about another year to start liking it. One day about three years into it, I suddenly realized that I love Texas, and I still feel the same way about it.

My favorite state is actually Virginia, the Chesapeake Bay area especially. But Texas is a close second, and I don't have any family in Virginia, and I don't have a job there either, and my husband who is a native Texan loves living right here, so I'll probably spend the rest of my life in Texas and that's fine by me.

Pros to where I live:

Very pleasant scenery (green rolling hills, lots of trees, lots of lakes and rivers, beautiful farms)
Low cost of living which means I have a very comfortable, spacious house that I love
Friendly people - positive vibe
Strong economy, even with the oil and gas slow down
Mild, beautiful winters and springs
I like the diversity, and don't mind being a minority as a white woman in Texas - I love the mix of cultures here
A culture of fierce independence - the Texas mindset is "Work hard, play hard, take care of your own business and do the best you can do," and I really like that attitude.
I like that Texans consider you a Texan even if you're a transplant, as long as you aren't dissing their state. Honorary membership as a Texan is given freely with a big grin and a side of home made tamales.
Close proximity to very large metro areas without having to actually live in them. I'm an easy drive to DFW or Houston, and a five hour drive to Austin and the Texas Hill Country. I like that.
I live seven minutes from a good airport and can be just about anywhere in the US on a four hour or less flight.
Christmas is sweater weather.

Cons:
It's too hot too far into the fall. I want it to be cool, crisp weather in October and instead it's usually still hot, though we do get some breaks in the heat the second half of October. But we have awesome winters and springs.
I don't live very close to a beach and I love a coastline.
Though we have fall colors because we have lots of hardwoods, we don't have the riot of color that cooler states, especially to the east, have.
Hang onto your hats - we do have a higher than average chance of tornadoes or severe storms. That being said, I've lived here twenty five years and never had significant storm damage to any of my property.
Christmas is sweater weather.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-14-2016 at 06:56 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 AM

37,152 posts, read 45,694,157 times
I'm in Savannah, which has a lot more going for it than NE Ohio, where we moved from. But the reasons we chose it are no longer valid.
Hubby was a SE Sales Rep, and our youngest child lived here when we chose it. Now we are retired and son lives in NC.
We enjoy the climate, and there is a lot to do here, but we are not rooted here. If our son starts having babies in NC, I suspect we will head on up there for the final round up.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 AM

20 posts, read 19,575 times
Born and raised in Southern Ohio.... Lived in Southern Utah and settled in Central Texas in the early 80's. Now looking for a good place to retire. If you are still working......Austin, Tx has a lot to offer. We were transferred here and the job market is strong. Friendly city, lots of activities, reasonable housing in the suburbs, and fairly low crime rate. Summers are really HOT so if hot and humid summers bother you...don't move here. If traffic is a major issue don't move here. Also, Austin is a young persons place to live, which is why we are looking elsewhere to retire.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Austin, west coast?? wtf. Austin isn't even western, its southern mixed with a bit of texan and western influence, but overall its southern, just like most of texas east of US 83.

Austin isn't that progressive...just cause some transgender ran for mayor doesn't make it progressive. Progressive for texas? Yeah. Anywhere else, nope.

The people...eh thats subjective. I find Austin very pretentious and pompous , not for me.

You're delusional. Austin is the best food city in the country? lol.

You said prettiest city too? lol.

"What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name."

Nashville...Pittsburgh...Charlotte...Atlanta...SF. ...Seattle...just cities that came up in my head right now. You're crazy lol...

Pretty sure Nashville is Music city lol.. and best musicians in the county??? yeah hipsters that play crappy indie music in their garage all day makes Austin have the best musicians in the country...lol..

Who said Austin is the best city in the world???

The homerism is strong with this one...
This thread isn't about cities you don't live in that you don't like - it's about where each of us lives and what we like and dislike about it.

I'm reading through this thread and there are many cities mentioned that I personally don't care for, for various reasons, but I'm not going to bash them because I don't live there, and if other people are happy to live there, more power to them.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
lol. Been to Austin. Extremely overrated, IMO. Just by your extreme, inaccurate takes on Austin and Charlotte, it sounds like you have a personal ax to grind rather than anything based in reality. Austin does have its merits. Is in the pretty hill country and has a strong economy. Outside of that and the fact that they have some clubs/music, not much else compared to other metro areas with 1 mil+. Charlotte is the polar opposite of what you described. Everyone can find their niche' if their cool with others. I realize each person has their own things they look for in an area. What resonates with me might not with you. Neither is "wrong".But it's hard to view your critique as credible when you allow your personal biases and lack of tolerance to dictate your opinions.
This thread is all about personal opinions regarding where people live (not where they don't live) so it's OK to express those opinions.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 AM

One thing I noticed that I like (and didn't even know I liked it till I wasn't around it) is a "young" state. What I mean by that is that I prefer the energy of states that have a younger average age of it's residents.

A few weeks ago we visited Maine, which is a beautiful state. I mean, absolutely gorgeous, and the people were super friendly, which surprised me for some reason. Anyway, we loved it and plan to go back again next fall. But I told my husband, "Wow, this state seems old. I mean, the people seem old." So I googled it and lo and behold, Maine is DEAD LAST in average age, and Texas is ranked fourth youngest (the youngest state is Utah, I believe). I could personally really tell a difference in the vibe and the energy level.

That's not a complaint - like I said, I really like Maine. But the average age does make a subtle difference that I picked up on right away, and which surprised me.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:22 AM

23,647 posts, read 17,615,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One thing I noticed that I like (and didn't even know I liked it till I wasn't around it) is a "young" state. What I mean by that is that I prefer the energy of states that have a younger average age of it's residents.

A few weeks ago we visited Maine, which is a beautiful state. I mean, absolutely gorgeous, and the people were super friendly, which surprised me for some reason. Anyway, we loved it and plan to go back again next fall. But I told my husband, "Wow, this state seems old. I mean, the people seem old." So I googled it and lo and behold, Maine is DEAD LAST in average age, and Texas is ranked fourth youngest (the youngest state is Utah, I believe). I could personally really tell a difference in the vibe and the energy level.

That's not a complaint - like I said, I really like Maine. But the average age does make a subtle difference that I picked up on right away, and which surprised me.
I totally understand this. I live in a manufacturing town where manufacturing has declined over the years, and the jobs the city has gotten are mostly low wage junk jobs. Capable younger adults have mostly left due to a lack of opportunity, driving median ages higher than what would have occurred naturally. As younger adults have left, there are fewer people having children, so schools are in the process of consolidating. The young adults who do remain are usually not career-oriented, many have multiple kids, most are working class, etc.

I have a pretty good office job and my immediate team is five people, and one guy is around my age, the others are all 50+ and I'm 30. The larger department doesn't look like it has many people under 40. The median age of the town is 44, with probably a couple 60+ adults for every child.

There is really no social scene to speak of outside of church, even though the town is about 50,000 people. There has been some development over the last five to ten years, but not a lot - things seem to be stuck in place.

I've lived here 26 or so of my 30 years, and after having been in an affluent suburb of a major metro area for the last few years, seeing family daily is beginning to wear thin against the frustrations against living in such a small place that is stuck in neutral

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 AM

6,866 posts, read 7,815,386 times
I lived in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts, Missouri and Texas before retiring to Philly about 6 years ago. Never leaving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3gp-Ch2kk

Old 11-15-2016, 09:03 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 709,421 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota

What's some pros and con's of your current city?

Pros
The economy. Low unemployment, and relatively high salaries by Midwest standards.
Reasonable cost of living. People with an average income can afford a decent single family home here.
Decent scenery. No mountains or oceans, but lots of lakes.
Good schools.
Beautiful in late spring/summer/fall. Very green.
Tolerable traffic levels/commutes.

Cons
Winter weather. I have to state the obvious here.
People are friendly, but it can be a little insular (not as many transplants here as other cities).

Are you a native or a transplant?

Native.

Do you like living there, hate it, or have more of a neutral view? If you hate it, where would you go if you had the chance?

Really like it here. Other places have better weather or scenery, but for the overall package, MSP wins hands down. I used to think the only other place I'd consider living is Denver, but seeing how Denver has changed over the last 10-15 years (not for the better), I'm not so sure I feel the same way anymore.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:47 AM

14 posts, read 9,084 times
Rochester, ny. Soon moving to costal SC.
Rochester is cold, expensive and dangerous. Winters are brutal, taxes are a joke, and every day on the news you hear of another murder. However, it is so beautiful around here with high falls in downtown. Letchworth state park. All the finger lakes. The fall foliage is out of a painted picture! Will definitely miss the change of seasons, but ready to ditch the depressing cloudy days and high taxes, for some sun, surf and seafood.
......Oh and how can we forget, WEGMANS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or