Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.61%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.55%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 49 19.84%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
DC area--pros
Museums, nearby mountains and parks, jobs (especially in VA where I am located)
Cons--Traffic! High housing costs, especially closer to DC.
This is funny, because some of the same pros and cons I have in NJ are very similar to those in the DC area--yet near DC is a place I would consider going. I have a friend in Arlington, and while I was shocked to find a city where the traffic is worse than in New Jersey, I really like all that the DC area has to offer. Maybe a little further out would be best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 03:28 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is funny, because some of the same pros and cons I have in NJ are very similar to those in the DC area--yet near DC is a place I would consider going. I have a friend in Arlington, and while I was shocked to find a city where the traffic is worse than in New Jersey, I really like all that the DC area has to offer. Maybe a little further out would be best.
I really like that area, but I'd never be able to live there. It's much too expensive. My friend lived in Fairfax, owned her home, and still left because of the high cost of... everything. She's now happily living 8 miles West of Rehoboth, DE.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:20 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I really like that area, but I'd never be able to live there. It's much too expensive. My friend lived in Fairfax, owned her home, and still left because of the high cost of... everything. She's now happily living 8 miles West of Rehoboth, DE.
I think Fairfax is considered as one of the values in the area. Great schools.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
I live in DC now and previously lived in Chicago, NYC, SF and Atlanta. Most of the things I love about the area is the same for Chicago, NYC and SF.

Pros
-4 true seasons
-public transit, really don't need a car
-Reagan! Easiest airport to get to!
-healthy lifestyle; active populace with lots of good food options
-educated populace
-large swaths of walkable areas/dense nice neighborhoods back to back
-culture; capital, museums, parks etc
-diverse population
-religion carries less clout
-sophisticated
-clean
-great burbs
-job market
-proximity to nature and other major cities i.e. Bmore an hour away and Philly/Richmond 2 hours

Cons
-expensive
-Summers are a bit oppressive
-government, sometimes it's a bit much
-traffic
-too posh, wish DC had more cool hole in the wall types of places with more of an organic feel

Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
I'm in Los Angeles County. Wish I could leave this place and SoCal like tomorrow. But, my partner will have nothing to do with it. She cannot fathom life outside of LA.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The DC area traffic can be a pain. It depends on how long your daily commute to work is.

If you have a short commute, then your life is going to be much better. This is regardless of whether you're driving or taking public transportation.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
I live in Los Angeles, CA, love it here. Been here since I was a toddler. Knock on wood I will be here for many years to come.

That's not to say I see everything with rose colored lenses, nor that I have never thought about leaving and living elsewhere(which I might).

Old 04-18-2017, 10:22 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,235 times
I've lived in Dallas, TX for about 7 years.

Things I like: The jobs, young professional scene, up and coming music scene, the food scene and the excitement of living in a place that is rapidly transforming and growing. People are generally nice and girls are usually pretty and there are a lot of transplants so it is easy to make friends. In general, the city seems to have made a ton of progress in the seven years I have lived here.

Things I'm not so crazy about: The summers, the sprawl, lack of mountains, ocean, proximity to skiing, and the overall mediocre scenery. (although, like anywhere there are some beautiful neighborhoods)

Long term I don't know if I would want to stay in Dallas, I prefer the mountains of the west, but if I didn't get the opportunity to move back there Dallas is a good place to live.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:29 PM

14 posts, read 12,266 times
I currently live in Northern Delaware. I've been here about a year. I'm going to stick around here for a few more years but I do plan on leaving eventually. I used to live in Pittsburgh and may be interested in returning to there or Ohio.

Pros
-taxes are lower than PA, NJ, and MD - we have no sales tax, and property taxes are very low.
-proximity to beaches in Delaware and NJ
-proximity to Philly, Baltimore, and DC. 95 passes right through here.
-lowest gas prices in the Mid Atlantic
-traffic isn't as bad as it is in surrounding states.

Cons
-Wilmington is a very high crime city
-economy isn't too diversified. Mostly finance and chemicals.
-many of the housing developments are very cookie cutter and bland. There also are very few areas with walkable downtowns. When I go for a drive, everything is either a development or strip mall. Very boring.
-public schools generally aren't good
-one party political rule - I don't think this is good for any state

Overall
I know my post probably doesn't paint a great picture of the area, but it's really not bad. I think Delaware's biggest selling point is being a lower tax state with a very central location in the Northeast Metropolis. I believe it actually may be the fastest growing state in the Northeast, the last time I checked.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:41 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Live in the western suburbs of Chicago

I am a transplant, I have lived in Massachusetts, Indiana and California

Pros

Where I live, beautiful homes, affluent, scenic
Good Schools
Good local govt.
Quick train ride to city of Chicago to work
Close to all a big city offers; great sports teams, entertainment, medical etc.
4 seasons, with global warming, better winters, summers great here
Great food options, Portillos and Pizza ( I have simple taste in food ).
Chicago is really a great city overall
Great higher education options
Down to earth people

Cons

Live in somewhat of a bubble where I am, kids separated from reality
taxes and real estate are high
cost of living high, includes heat and air conditioning
state government a depressing mess
Chicago not growing at present
traffic at all hours by car on expressways
crime on the west and south sides of city
Chicago metro not near other metros like the eastern corridor or LA-San Diego
Cold winters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.