Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.61%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.55%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 49 19.84%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

We love it here in Sammamish, WA. Close enough to Seattle, but very low crime, great schools, and no big box stores. We have everything we need about 6 miles away in either direction, without the traffic, noise and mess from shoppers. Forbes named it the friendliest city in America.The only downside is property taxes at over $6,000/year, but it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM

793 posts, read 1,110,732 times
Oklahoma City

I've been for a little over a year and love it! I'm originally from southeastern Oklahoma and had never actually visited OKC much, until I started college in 2010. Dallas and Fort Worth were the cities that I visited much, much more often because they are closer to my hometown. I actually had intentions to move to Dallas but fell in love with OKC and it's potential as I frequented it more during my college years.

What I like: Strong economy, low unemployment rate, growing population, friendly people, quite diverse, infill developments, great COL, four seasons, lively districts, historic neighborhoods and home tours, abundant amenities, an amazing zoo, plenty of colleges and universities, great museums, performance halls, beautiful parks, sports (Thunder, NBA D-League OKC Blue, MiLB Dodgers, Energy FC, Rayo OKC, Sooners, horse racing, lakes, river activities and Olympic training).

What I don't like: Severe weather, humidity spells, high insurance, some thoroughfares are rough, public transit (streetcar beginning construction in November, commuter rail in the talks).

Old 10-25-2016, 06:56 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Denver

It's alright. I'm enjoying my time while I'm here, but it's not somewhere I want to settle down. It's a city that definitely caters to single people more than families. I like the job I have here, but it doesn't feel like a ideal match for me.

Pros:
I like the people I've met here, who come from all different backgrounds. I like the lack of obesity and racial tension. I like the active lifestyle that's prevalent. I like the political climate. For being outside 30 mins, the weather is very condusive, you don't have to plan for jackets or worry about sweating. I like being able to drive 3 mins and being able to pick up a cannabis edible without any hassle or shadiness.

Cons:
I feel like you pay a huge premium in home prices for being next to the mountains here. Coming from CO Springs, I find more and more that I missed the easy access and closeness to them I had there. Denver feels like a letdown in that regard. I don't like the traffic, which is bad considering Denver actually isn't that big. And the transit is often crowded during rush hour (standing only) and infrequent when it's not rush hour. Personal preference, I wish it rained more and was hotter here. I don't like being thirsty all the time cause of the dry air. I also dislike the lack of greenery and plant variety. UV can get annoying if your outside for more than 1 hour.

Meh:
The city beauty wise is so so. Not pretty, not ugly. Neighborhoods are so so. There's a lot of homeless people, but I rarely feel threatened and leave my doors unlocked without worrying too much. Restaurants are average. Urban things going on are decent for a city it's size, but a lot of people tend to vacate for being in the mountains. Economy is alright with COL figured in.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 PM

97 posts, read 122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
lol. Been to Austin. Extremely overrated, IMO. Just by your extreme, inaccurate takes on Austin and Charlotte, it sounds like you have a personal ax to grind rather than anything based in reality. Austin does have its merits. Is in the pretty hill country and has a strong economy. Outside of that and the fact that they have some clubs/music, not much else compared to other metro areas with 1 mil+. Charlotte is the polar opposite of what you described. Everyone can find their niche' if their cool with others. I realize each person has their own things they look for in an area. What resonates with me might not with you. Neither is "wrong".But it's hard to view your critique as credible when you allow your personal biases and lack of tolerance to dictate your opinions.
Literally cant name 1 good thing bout CLT... city is trash, sorry austin is in a diff league. Its up there with seattle, boston, SF, etc.

Austin blows every city away imo

Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
St. Louis is a great place for me. I was born and raised in the area. Lived in several other cities like Memphis and Chicago.

Pros
4 seasons, rolling hills with a decent amount of greenery, I love the spring and fall. Different neighborhoods. Great foodie city. One of the best small big cities to live in. Cost of living is reasonable.

Cons
It's in Missouri and the state politics are regressive and backwards. The city gets a bad rep for homicides and that impacts the growth of the city. Politicians and city leaders are lazy.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:33 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,408,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
Literally cant name 1 good thing bout CLT... city is trash, sorry austin is in a diff league. Its up there with seattle, boston, SF, etc.

It's OK to love your city, but now you are severely overstating things.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,396 times
Quote:

Austin is not on par with Boston, San Francisco or even Seattle...I'm sorry.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Austin TX. Moved here from Charlotte. Charlotte is backwards and southern. People there are mean and the food sucks. It also has lots of thugs and the politics suck. Typical southern city

Austin is a west coast city and extremely progressive. The people here are amazing and we're booming. The food here beats every other city in the country. I also think Austin is the prettiest city in the US also. What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name. Austin is City of Music, we have most of the best musicians in the country. I don't feel uncomfortable being weird and different, unlike in Charlotte. keep Austin weird is our slogan. There's a reason why so many people are calling Austin the best city in the world.

Come visit and you'll see why Austin is amazing.
This is so over the top it seems like you are making fun of how some see Austin as extremely overrated these days.

I live in Philadelphia and love it here. I love living a few minutes walk from the Wissahickon Park/Gorge for easy escapes from the city, but also within walking distance of several train lines and buses/subway to get me into Center City quickly. I love the built environment-the tiny one way streets, the old homes, tall old trees lining the streets, the city park squares, skyline, bridges. I love the affordability, acceptance/tolerance of the people in my neighborhood, the diversity. I love that Philly is a very local city-not many chain stores, very unique culture, bars, stores, food and so many local quirks and hidden aspects, but also it is in the middle of the East Coast-right in between NYC, DC, beaches and mountains with Amish Country also nearby-the best location in the US IMO. I love the "Philly attitude"-surprisingly somewhat modest with great senses of humor, but with nothing to prove to anyone and very down to Earth and real. Don't take much $#!t or fluff.

I hate the entrenched poverty in many neighborhoods and violence- and the political corruption, lack of urgency and priorities of those in power that prevents anything from being done about it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-25-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
I understand not that many people have voted but it is very nice to see how many people enjoy living where they are currently located

Old 10-25-2016, 09:28 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,453 times
Quote:
Austin TX. Moved here from Charlotte. Charlotte is backwards and southern. People there are mean and the food sucks. It also has lots of thugs and the politics suck. Typical southern city

Austin is a west coast city and extremely progressive. The people here are amazing and we're booming. The food here beats every other city in the country. I also think Austin is the prettiest city in the US also. What other cities have a Lake Travis? What other city has rolling hills, lakes, rivers, and beauty? Not a city I could name. Austin is City of Music, we have most of the best musicians in the country. I don't feel uncomfortable being weird and different, unlike in Charlotte. keep Austin weird is our slogan. There's a reason why so many people are calling Austin the best city in the world.

Come visit and you'll see why Austin is amazing.
What other cities have a lake Travis...............well Charlotte for one, Lake Travis has a Shore length: 269.7 mi while Lake Norman has 520 miles (840 km) of shoreline. also in Charlotte connected via the Catawba river is Lake Wylie Shore length1 325 mi (523 km). So where you left had two lakes larger than Lake Travis connected via the Catawba river. Also is 30 miles to Crowders Mountain and 40 miles to Morrow Mountain which is on lake tillery. So in regards to rolling hills, lakes, rivers and beauty, actually existed where you left.

Then several other cities through out the nation also have this when you think about places near the great lakes, places in Florida, California, Georgia, Virginia, and several other states and cities across the nation.

I would like to visit though.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 10-25-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.