U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your current city?
Love it here, setting up roots in the area 125 50.81%
Its alright, im content for now 73 29.67%
Hate it or highly dislike it here.. Im leaving as soon as possible 48 19.51%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:46 PM

184 posts, read 149,279 times

Advertisements

What's some pros and con's of your current city?

Are you a native or a transplant? If you are a transplant, where are you from originally and why you moved?

Do you like living there, hate it, or have more of a neutral view? If you hate it, where would you go if you had the chance?

I'll start: Current City is Lancaster PA.
I'm originally from Jersey City NJ, left due to me and my family felt it was crowded and expensive tho we still wanted to be close to extended family and friends. So me, my husband, and kids moved to Lancaster PA, we absolutely love it here. Pros is close to family in NY, also close to my favorite city Philly, small city atmosphere. Con's is moderately high crime and some really narrow streets.

Now you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,543,876 times
I posted the exact same thread a few months ago, but it got pulled because it was deemed "negative", since I was asking what the pros/cons of everyone's metro area was. Hopefully, yours will get to stay. I think it's a great thread and really interesting because your'e taking about YOUR area.

I have always lived here in the Charlotte area and absolutely love it. Don't ever plan on leaving. My wife is from Boston and feels the same as I do. She moved here before we met because of jobs, cost of living, and climate were better here. We travel a lot, so we're familiar with all of the wonderful areas there are in the U.S. We love living here.

I Like: Weather. Sunny most of the time. Great 4-season climate........Charlotte is a very clean city to be so large. Trees/meadows/flowers. So pretty........Good mix of beliefs. We're devout Christians and we know people who are conservative, liberal, and those who aren't religious at all. Everyone gets along well. Though my wife loves Boston in a lot of ways, she said in her experience, one's who were devout in their faith were a bit looked down upon. She felt more at ease here........The People. Genuinely kind and friendly. Very refreshing........Close to the mountains and beaches........Reasonable cost of living. Most people can afford to be homeowners........Strong economy........Lots of recreational assets, especially outdoors. We have a 5,200 acre state park 5 minutes from our house.

I Don't Like: No major Division I university. There is UNCC, but the sports atmosphere is lacking.........Though we have some good hospitals here, we have no medical school. We also have no law school at any of the colleges here........Clay dirt. I hate it, lol. It stains everything it gets on.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:44 PM

17,727 posts, read 4,096,546 times
I am tired of where I live.I like the people.However,its boring.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,338,038 times
Lebanon Ohio and Warren County was an awesome place 40 or 50 years ago when I was growing up but with all the ugly sprawl the small town charm died long ago, going back to Maine when I retire to a town that has for the most part remained unchanged throughout my lifetime.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
I love Virginia!! Virginia is for Lovers

Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,406,193 times
Living in Columbus, Ohio originally from New Jersey.

Love it here.

Pros:
+ Extremely relevant politically as its status as a capital of a swing state. HRC, Trump, Biden, Obama etc. visit regularly for rallies and speeches so as a political nerd it's cool to have easy access to all of that.
+Robust/diverse economy coupled with relative low cost of living
+ In general Midwesterners are very kind, warm and welcoming people
+Rapidly growing in terms of population and amenities, it's exciting to be a part of a city on an upward trajectory
+Cool neighborhoods like Grandview, Short North, German Village, Arena District
+ Ton of young people. OSU alone has 65,000 students.
+ Buckeye football, nothing like game day in the shoe.
+Relative easy drive to Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Louisville etc. if you ever want to do a weekend trip

Cons:
-Weather could be better
-We could use better public transit for sure
-Doesn't really bother me but we could also use a cooler setting, our topography is fairly bland.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,573,856 times
Living in Santa Fe, NM. Previously Birmingham, AL for 27 years.

We picked out Santa Fe because we wanted to live here. Then I found work. This is our retirement location.

Pros:
+ Four beautiful seasons with no-humidity summers and fluffy white snow in winter that doesn't hang around.
+ Tricultural region (Native, Spanish, Anglo) and all that brings.
+ Scenery and vistas beyond compare.
+ Always something cultural going on.
+ Small city, so nothing is more than 15 minutes away.
+ Myriad dining options
+ Outdoor activities in every direction (hiking, skiing, cycling, pueblos, historic sites, etc.)
+ Great "feel" for a city with the pueblo revival architecture.

Cons:
+ Housing costs are very high.
+ Wages are quite low.
+ New Mexico economy as a whole is quite poor -- very oil/gas/extraction dependent.
+ Not an ambitious state - from politicians to bus drivers, everyone seems to be OK with the status quo.
+ Can be a little difficult to make friends.
+ Shopping isn't much beyond the basics (aside from upscale tourist places).
+ Public schools aren't the best.
+ Not an easy drive to anywhere but ABQ (Vegas is 9 hours, Phoenix is 8, Denver is 6)

Old 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,682,158 times
I love Seattle. There's plenty I don't like, but the postives outweigh the rest.

Negatives include the relative lack of rail, being a little smaller than I'd like, sprawl, and the middling overseas air connections.

Positives include the relatively overseas cultural influence, density that's starting to be decent in some areas, the bus transit which is actually pretty good, the hordes of tourists I compete with for lunch, the Pike Place Market where this competition often occurs, the scenery, and the massive tech industry. And the off-the-charts close-in development at the moment.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:01 PM

9,090 posts, read 4,143,193 times
Oklahoma City. There are worse places but I strongly dislike it here. As soon as I have the ability I will be moving.

Pros: Better than a rural area, strong economy

Cons: Way, way too conservative, lacks amenities that are commonplace in cities half its size, way too suburban, boring scenery, and the worst, most violent, most dangerous weather on the planet.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 PM

6,070 posts, read 3,397,513 times
I like it. Not where I wanna live for the rest of my life, but I like it. This is my 4th Texas town I've lived in within less than 2 years since I moved here from South Florida.

Denton and Abilene are the towns I've liked the most. I like Abilene because its a bit more scenic, its cleaner, more family friendly (which doesn't matter TOO much for where I am in life right now.) I like Denton cuz its a bit quirky and unique, however the roads here get on my nerves. They're horrible. I like Texas but not enough to stay for the long run. I like the Midwest more. Its still way better than back home. There's actually a change of seasons, people are mostly friendly, I like the architecture better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or