Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In 2016, which one of these cities is the most Southern?
Dallas/Ft Worth 1 1.59%
Houston 9 14.29%
Atlanta 53 84.13%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are all culturally diverse. I don't think that negates being Southern or not though.
The South has historically been more diverse than the North as a whole, yet northerners think they invented diversity in this country, or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:59 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Do you have the data to back that up? I'd be interested to see.

I wouldn't doubt it, though. I know plenty of people who are from or have roots in Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana that live in Texas, not just DFW. We're just geographically closer to the Midwest and more topographically similar to boot. On Sunday we went to Kansas and back in one day, didn't take long at all. I don't doubt lots of Midwesterners have settled in north Texas. Its the closest region outside the South to us.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:20 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
To me, Atlanta is more southern, but Houston isn't far behind. DFW feels like a larger Kansas City; it doesn't feel or look southern to me.
I agree, in my opinion Dallas doesn't feel "traditionally" Southern, but at the same time I'm struggling to find that comparison to Kansas City and the Midwest. As think as far as that comparison goes, the closest Southern cities that are comparable to the Midwest are Louisville and Birmingham; as mentioned before, Dallas feels more "Sun-Belty."

Old 10-25-2016, 04:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Do you have the data to back that up? I'd be interested to see.
Right here!

From the South:
Greater Atlanta CSA: 1,065,365
Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: 685,27
Greater Houston CSA: 576,447

From the West Coast:
Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: 423,250
Greater Houston CSA: 268,765
Greater Atlanta CSA: 213,725

From the Midwest:
Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: 552,618
Greater Atlanta CSA: 492,873
Greater Houston CSA: 345,661

From the Northeast:
Greater Atlanta CSA: 493,418
Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex CSA: 250,094
Greater Houston CSA: 213,697

The list above only measures transplants. So obviously all three are in the South but it only counts people who relocated to those areas from other parts of the South. Houston has the largest international population of the above, but it also has the smallest domestic transplant population.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:58 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The South has historically been more diverse than the North as a whole, yet northerners think they invented diversity in this country, or something
Not true Historically the most diverse region in the 13 colonies had been the Middle Colonies (Pennsylvania-New York-New Jersey-Delaware) with Pennsylvania followed by new York being the most diverse states and even then it was mostly ethnic diversity as out of the three main groups were NA, Whites, Blacks most blacks were slaves and most NA weren't considered native American. Then it shifted over time to states like Virginia/Maryland and California, Louisiana and Illinois(Specifically Chicago).

Old 10-25-2016, 08:54 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Not true Historically the most diverse region in the 13 colonies had been the Middle Colonies (Pennsylvania-New York-New Jersey-Delaware) with Pennsylvania followed by new York being the most diverse states and even then it was mostly ethnic diversity as out of the three main groups were NA, Whites, Blacks most blacks were slaves and most NA weren't considered native American. Then it shifted over time to states like Virginia/Maryland and California, Louisiana and Illinois(Specifically Chicago).
French, Spanish, West African, Native American, Creole, Gullah, Scot-Irish, etc.

Eh, I think I have to agree with the other poster.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Atlanta is definitely the most southern of the three.

Houston is the next most Southern, yet the most international of the three.

DFW has Southern characteristics, but is a mix between, Southern, Great Plains, and Southwestern.
Dallas-Fort Worth is not Southwestern at all. And the Great Plains are part of the Midwest/South. They're not a region unto themselves. Dallas is culturally, linguistically, and demographically part of the South as is most of Texas.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM

345 posts, read 530,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth is not Southwestern at all. And the Great Plains are part of the Midwest/South. They're not a region unto themselves. Dallas is culturally, linguistically, and demographically part of the South as is most of Texas.
Exactly!! DFW is all southern...kills me when people say "Fort Worth is when the west starts"...no. The west/southwest starts when you cross US 83, the rest is southern

Old 10-28-2016, 07:40 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Atlanta is all around more southern, but Houston is still more closely tied to the Deep South and Dallas is still the buckle of the Bible Belt.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
To me, Atlanta is more southern, but Houston isn't far behind. DFW feels like a larger Kansas City; it doesn't feel or look southern to me.
Ever been to Memphis or Little Rock, SB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.