U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many
2 3 20.00%
3 2 13.33%
4 6 40.00%
5 or more 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2016, 11:14 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times

Advertisements

I'd say we have more world class cities than most people think. True, our cities do not ooze urbanity and density like many cities around the world, but we have a much higher standard of living and GDP than those around the world, even first world cities. It says something when Chicago, considered borderline world class by many here, has a higher GDP than Shanghai and Moscow with a fraction of their population. IMO, our top 15 metros are all world class, and you could even extend that to 25 without stretching too much. People on here have a romanticized view of the world because of the exoticness of other cities, but even the best of them don't cover their bases, for their size, like our cities do. NYC is right behind Tokyo in GDP despite having 10 million less people, and is clearly more powerful and influential.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 AM

8,951 posts, read 4,099,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Such an overrated classification.
People also have different definitions as to what it means. Some will expand the definition down to include places like Houston and Atlanta.

To me, the ONLY two cities in the U.S. that are indisputably world class is NYC and Los Angeles. San Francisco and Chicago are both very close and could possibly be. Washington DC and Boston are also in the top tier of cities but are a notch below San Francisco and Chicago. Anything below that shouldn't even be in the conversation.

While places like Dallas, New Orleans, Nashville, etc offer a lot and are important in the U.S., does anybody seriously think they belong in the same conversation with London, Tokyo, and Hong Kong?

Old 10-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,990 posts, read 3,450,579 times
More like

Tier A World Class:

NY, LA, Chicago

Tier B still World Class:

SF, DC (at the MSA level it could be argued SF rates slightly higher)

The difference mostly being due to size. However I would like to point out there are many smaller "World Class" cities/metros in Europe etc that have a high prestige.

There has been no definition of what World Class is in the thread so you're leaving it up to subjectivity. DC and SF would no question be thought of as world class abroad and much of their numbers in many metrics put them in a rare space internationally. Also it needs to be understood that we are the United States the most powerful and wealthy nation on earth, if anywhere is going to have multiple major cities viewed as world class it would be us. It is quite possible in 30 years to have multiple up to 7 or 8 "World Class" cities, but we're not quite there yet.

Honorable mention to Boston.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,304,477 times
"World "Class" is a term that is used a lot on here to describe cities, but what exactly does it even mean?

When I hear "world class cities" I think of cities like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc. but other people on this forum seem to be more generous with their list of "world class" cities.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

The difference mostly being due to size. However I would like to point out there are many smaller "World Class" cities/metros in Europe etc that have a high prestige.
I agree with this. While world cities usually have very high populations, they don't have to. It's all about what they offer and their prestige on a global scale. For instance, Milan is smaller than Dallas, but I consider Milan to be world class and Dallas not.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:35 AM

18,924 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is my world class tiers:

Cities that are 100% world class across the board:
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
San Francisco

Cities that are poised to be world class in the near future:
Boston
Houston
Philadelphia

Cities that have many elements about them that are world class but probably wont be fully world class soon:
Dallas
Seattle
Atlanta
Miami
San Diego
New Orleans

Cities that have a few world class elements:
Detroit
Minneapolis
Portland
Charleston
Denver
Nashville
Charlotte
Raleigh
Baltimore
Charleston more world class than Phoenix? 😂😂😂

Thanks, I needed a laugh this morning

Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM

93 posts, read 66,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is my world class tiers:
Cities that are 100% world class across the board:
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
World Class to me are the following:
1. NYC
2. D.C. Capital and Seat of Govt and Military in the most powerful country in the world
3. LA huge GDP, seaport and glitz glamour capital
4. SF Tech capital of the US and probably the world, major destination
5. Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'd say we have more world class cities than most people think. True, our cities do not ooze urbanity and density like many cities around the world, but we have a much higher standard of living and GDP than those around the world, even first world cities. It says something when Chicago, considered borderline world class by many here, has a higher GDP than Shanghai and Moscow with a fraction of their population. IMO.
I agree with these posters and voted 5 also. I agree DC HAS to be seen as World-Class. It was built to be (become a new nations world-class Capital). If it hasn't by now, with the World's focus on US policy and President? With its growth and renewal? It never will and of course Chicago as still very much a finance and banking Alpha city with our other Stock Exchanges.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:39 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
I would say NYC, LA, Chicago and SF are the only world class cities. I would say DC and Boston cut it close, but not quite there.
This. DC obviously is a very important global concentration of power but as a city/metro doesn't cut it IMO.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,969,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this. While world cities usually have very high populations, they don't have to. It's all about what they offer and their prestige on a global scale. For instance, Milan is smaller than Dallas, but I consider Milan to be world class and Dallas not.
On what basis? Dallas is more populous, has a higher standard of living and a higher GDP. Milan's global prestige lies mainly in fashion. Yay. Again, people have grass is greener syndrome on this site. Our quote unquote second tier cities best first world primate cities in many factors.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
On what basis? Dallas is more populous, has a higher standard of living and a higher GDP. Milan's global prestige lies mainly in fashion. Yay. Again, people have grass is greener syndrome on this site. Our quote unquote second tier cities best first world primate cities in many factors.
Dallas doesn't have the prestige that Milan does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or