U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,447,601 times
Reputation: 12308

Advertisements

Less important, because English is taught as a second language almost all over the world. Spanish isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2016, 04:24 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,144 posts, read 1,522,608 times
Reputation: 1848
I find it funny how Americans neglect picking up Spanish, but then complain when they're in situations that requires knowledge of the Spanish language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 04:51 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
3,874 posts, read 1,664,539 times
Reputation: 3617
Default Communication is a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Less important, because English is taught as a second language almost all over the world. Spanish isn't.
Yah, but Spanish is a Romance language, & so it gives you easier entrée into French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Latin (800 million speakers Worldwide, per Wikipedia). With fair Spanish & a good background in English, you can make yourself understood in most of Europe & lots of other parts of the World, although it may be a pidgin kind of conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 05:56 PM
 
79 posts, read 78,394 times
Reputation: 71
If you asked me 5 years ago I would have said more. Now I honestly think less, some 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics speak little to no Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2016, 11:50 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,591,311 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123MoltenCore View Post
If you asked me 5 years ago I would have said more. Now I honestly think less, some 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanics speak little to no Spanish.
That's part of why the xenophobia regarding the Spanish language from some people is so stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2016, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Terramaria
774 posts, read 842,613 times
Reputation: 910
I'd say only a regional concern in south Florida and regions within 100 miles of the Mexican boarder, where Spanglish is likely to be more common just as it is in similar bordering areas as described. Remember that outside of Quebec and parts of New Brunswick, Canada is by far an English-speaking nation and all of the French enclaves are just specialty communities that seem to be gradually dying out for English speakers, just like how the Hispanic population outside of the border/Florida regions assimilate themselves. Spanish is still important to learn for the sake of traveling abroad to those nations and as a gateway to the other Romance family languages. The best chance for increased importance is for the speakers from these border regions to penetrate north (Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, Orlando) and "keep" their tongue with them to the point of those becoming "Spanglified", but with such a high non-Spanish population in those cities, unless if there is a great demographic shift (which is possible given the high fertility rate of Latinos), that's not going to happen, despite the increased presence of signs/instructions in Spanish as I feel their uniqueness at this point has settled down and we just take it as the standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2016, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,922 posts, read 2,750,376 times
Reputation: 7150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
I disagree though and that's not a fair comparison. Let's remember that Japanese is only spoken in one country halfway across the world. Spanish on the other hand is spoken by dozens of countries all on our side of the world, and many of those countries are neighbors, be it bordering or close by.

570 Million speak Spanish across the world while Japanese is spoken by 150 million people across the world. Spanish is also spoken as an official language on three continents (Europe, North America and South America). Japenese is only limited to one country.

So IMO if you are looking to learn Japanese, unless you are looking to do business in Japan, it's really not useful. Spanish however still is very useful, allowing you work across three different continents, and opens more opportunities here in the US within our own population.

I can see Spanish becoming more and more common and almost a required language (like in Miami) in certain parts of the country, like in Florida and Texas.

The difference between other immigrant language in the US at the moment with Spanish, is that the ratio of Spanish speakers to people that speak Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, etc, just can't compare. I think the US has more Spanish speakers than quite a few Spanish Speaking countries. The US alone easily has more Spanish speakers in the country, than Ecuador, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Panama, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Guatemala do. The imprint of Spanish in the US is a little too deep and big for it to just go away or not be as important.

While many might laugh, what I think we will see in decades maybe centuries, is Spanglish become a new language. While it might seem funny, but in Spain there are quite a few regions where the official languages are those that are a Spanish and Portuguese mix or a French and Spanish mix. Same for the border areas of Argentina and Brazil, which not as wide spread, but there is a language that grew that is a mix of Brazilian Portuguese and Argentinean Spanish.

I
Excellent post ! Americans seem to forget that there are over half a billion people who live directly south of the US that speak Spanish so it is a important language since we live in the Western hemisphere.

Spanish in the US is basically a cultural issue in the US now until you get to the language of commerce where places like Miami which has a 59% foreign born population is a business center where speaking Spanish in that capacity is more important than if you were living in Iowa.

Many US multi-national US companies have set up their Latin American HQ's in Miami because of the city's bi-lingual nature. A lot of Spanish speaking immigrants to the Miami / South Florida area do maintain their language / culture since Immigrants do keep coming to the city thereby refreshing their culture & language.

Spanglish does happen but it's almost "slang" now as younger Hispanic 2nd. & third generation speakers forget how to speak Spanish which is true of any Immigrant group who become established in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2016, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,109,169 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
I disagree though and that's not a fair comparison. Let's remember that Japanese is only spoken in one country halfway across the world. Spanish on the other hand is spoken by dozens of countries all on our side of the world, and many of those countries are neighbors, be it bordering or close by.

570 Million speak Spanish across the world while Japanese is spoken by 150 million people across the world. Spanish is also spoken as an official language on three continents (Europe, North America and South America). Japenese is only limited to one country.

So IMO if you are looking to learn Japanese, unless you are looking to do business in Japan, it's really not useful. Spanish however still is very useful, allowing you work across three different continents, and opens more opportunities here in the US within our own population.

I can see Spanish becoming more and more common and almost a required language (like in Miami) in certain parts of the country, like in Florida and Texas.

The difference between other immigrant language in the US at the moment with Spanish, is that the ratio of Spanish speakers to people that speak Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, etc, just can't compare. I think the US has more Spanish speakers than quite a few Spanish Speaking countries. The US alone easily has more Spanish speakers in the country, than Ecuador, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Panama, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Guatemala do. The imprint of Spanish in the US is a little too deep and big for it to just go away or not be as important.

While many might laugh, what I think we will see in decades maybe centuries, is Spanglish become a new language. While it might seem funny, but in Spain there are quite a few regions where the official languages are those that are a Spanish and Portuguese mix or a French and Spanish mix. Same for the border areas of Argentina and Brazil, which not as wide spread, but there is a language that grew that is a mix of Brazilian Portuguese and Argentinean Spanish.

I
Also Africa. Equatorial Guinea speaks Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2016, 09:19 PM
 
512 posts, read 480,803 times
Reputation: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Excellent post ! Americans seem to forget that there are over half a billion people who live directly south of the US that speak Spanish so it is a important language since we live in the Western hemisphere.

Spanish in the US is basically a cultural issue in the US now until you get to the language of commerce where places like Miami which has a 59% foreign born population is a business center where speaking Spanish in that capacity is more important than if you were living in Iowa.

Many US multi-national US companies have set up their Latin American HQ's in Miami because of the city's bi-lingual nature. A lot of Spanish speaking immigrants to the Miami / South Florida area do maintain their language / culture since Immigrants do keep coming to the city thereby refreshing their culture & language.

Spanglish does happen but it's almost "slang" now as younger Hispanic 2nd. & third generation speakers forget how to speak Spanish which is true of any Immigrant group who become established in the US.
But the half billion people who live directly south of the US don't seem to have the ability to get their act together. Continued instability for the next coupe hundred years will continue to make it a small factor in US socio-economic life. Big in some circles, South America is non-existent in most.

A few more generations will rapidly reduce Spanish speaking in the US to the equivalent need for Italian or German fluency. Not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2016, 11:49 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,591,311 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
But the half billion people who live directly south of the US don't seem to have the ability to get their act together. Continued instability for the next coupe hundred years will continue to make it a small factor in US socio-economic life. Big in some circles, South America is non-existent in most.

A few more generations will rapidly reduce Spanish speaking in the US to the equivalent need for Italian or German fluency. Not much.
Don't be such a negative nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top