U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most tree-lined neighborhoods?
NYC 2 5.56%
Chicago 11 30.56%
LA 2 5.56%
Houston 8 22.22%
DC 7 19.44%
Philadelphia 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,313,481 times

Advertisements

I would think Houston. Houston is very suburban. LA too, but LA is a bit less suburban. LA has some beautiful trees.

A city doesn't have to be suburban to have tree-lined streets though. Philly is a good example of this. But those sprawling suburban sunbelt cities are naturally going to have more trees.

Anyway my vote goes to LA because I have a thing for Palm trees. Especially those tall skinny ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,919,413 times
I voted for Washington DC, although that is just a guess.

I will say it is probably NOT NYC, not because NYC does not have a lot of neighborhood trees (it probably has more then many people give it credit for) but because it greatly varies from one neighborhood to another and even one block to another. In other words, New York is not consistently treed. One block will be loaded with trees while the next block will have few or none. Kind of strange.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:23 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,019,359 times
I didn't vote for any of your options. I've only been to LA on your list, and LA isn't particularly covered in trees.

But, Sacramento, Ca is known for it's tree cover. I also lived in Nashville, TN, and the areas around Nashville have a lot of gorgeous tree canopy covered roads.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 PM

61 posts, read 78,444 times
Id agree Sacramento - I believe the city has the most trees per capita of any city. Pretty much all of the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are under a tree canopy.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:22 AM

6,072 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I would think Houston. Houston is very suburban. LA too, but LA is a bit less suburban. LA has some beautiful trees.

A city doesn't have to be suburban to have tree-lined streets though. Philly is a good example of this. But those sprawling suburban sunbelt cities are naturally going to have more trees.

Anyway my vote goes to LA because I have a thing for Palm trees. Especially those tall skinny ones
Not necessarily. A lot of sunbelt cities don't have that many trees in neighbourhoods, like Miami. And forget about the ones in the desert lol. When people talk of "tree lined" they mean more density than simply quantity.

Something like this https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4340...7i13312!8i6656 or this https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3356...7i13312!8i6656.

Most of the only sunbelt cities that are like that would be in the Atlantic Southeast. (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

I think eastern cities in general are best for tree-lined streets.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:22 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,128,210 times
I took a photo of Buckhead and northward from The Sovereign condo tower. Here's Atlanta...
Attached Thumbnails
What Major cities have the most Tree-Lined neighborhoods throughout?-img_4201.jpg  

Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 AM

12,447 posts, read 11,948,134 times
There have been many studies looking at this over time. Here is one from 2010. Out of the cities in question, the ranking was Houston, NYC, LA, Philly, Chicago.

Here's a select grouping from National Geographic a few years back as well.

One issue with tree canopy studies is they consider all trees, which is inclusive of those in parks and (in more suburban neighborhoods) those out of public view in backyards. Counting street trees only would be more accurate, but I don't think there's a central compendium of this anywhere.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM

93 posts, read 66,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There have been many studies looking at this over time. Here is one from 2010. Out of the cities in question, the ranking was Houston, NYC, LA, Philly, Chicago.

Here's a select grouping from National Geographic a few years back as well.

One issue with tree canopy studies is they consider all trees, which is inclusive of those in parks and (in more suburban neighborhoods) those out of public view in backyards. Counting street trees only would be more accurate, but I don't think there's a central compendium of this anywhere.
Yes exactly, I knew some cities with one in particular that is full of tree-lined neighborhoods and overhead views from a plane show this. But % wise of what was called a tree-canopy. Was only 15%. Some cities actually have urban forest to large parks that are majority tree covered.

So I felt for the thread I asked for in particular. The most Tree-Lined neighborhoods. One city in particular on my list is one I felt does. But rates low in overall tree-canopy. I also do not believe a city must have HUGE trees to be nicely tree-lined neighborhoods. But if they do have huge towering trees in a true URBAN setting. That is AWESOME.

Some cities are more suburban with tree-lined neighborhoods. Some much more tighter Urban. Yet have plenty of frontage trees.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,532,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New York is not consistently treed. One block will be loaded with trees while the next block will have few or none. Kind of strange.
Philadelphia is exactly the same, which isn't surprising, given that they came of age around the same time when greener neighborhoods were reserved for the upper classes.

I think both are making strides with their canopies, though, which I find look particularly fantastic in a dense urban neighborhoods (gives you more of that "cathedral" effect).

Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 AM

12,447 posts, read 11,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Philadelphia is exactly the same, which isn't surprising, given that they came of age around the same time when greener neighborhoods were reserved for the upper classes.

I think both are making strides with their canopies, though, which I find look particularly fantastic in a dense urban neighborhoods (gives you more of that "cathedral" effect).
I honestly feel street trees can be overdone, when you're dealing with a narrow street, zero-setback buildings, and interesting historic facades. I know in a lot of historic neighborhoods in Pittsburgh I prefer to go on "house-viewing trips" during the winter when the street tree foliage doesn't block viewing the buildings.

Admittedly this is a temporary problem however. Eventually street trees will get big enough that their canopy rises above the bulk of the house. But there's a period of a few decades where the buildings are obscured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.