U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the most tree-lined neighborhoods?
NYC 2 5.56%
Chicago 11 30.56%
LA 2 5.56%
Houston 8 22.22%
DC 7 19.44%
Philadelphia 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:06 PM

935 posts, read 1,715,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.hughes View Post
Id agree Sacramento - I believe the city has the most trees per capita of any city. Pretty much all of the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are under a tree canopy.
I agree, however Sacramento isn't considered a major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,387,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I honestly feel street trees can be overdone, when you're dealing with a narrow street, zero-setback buildings, and interesting historic facades. I know in a lot of historic neighborhoods in Pittsburgh I prefer to go on "house-viewing trips" during the winter when the street tree foliage doesn't block viewing the buildings.

Admittedly this is a temporary problem however. Eventually street trees will get big enough that their canopy rises above the bulk of the house. But there's a period of a few decades where the buildings are obscured.
Hah-true. One good thing about Winter is I can see the skyline in Philly much easier from my house.

I love the "tree canopies" though and grew up on a block in Mount Airy with a great one.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,639,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.hughes View Post
Id agree Sacramento - I believe the city has the most trees per capita of any city. Pretty much all of the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods are under a tree canopy.
Sacramento tree canopy is breathtaking!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:14 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
I picked Philadelphia. One of the things that I really liked about living in the University City neighborhood (West Philly) was exactly this: just how tree-lined the streets were. Philadelphia was my first (and, to date, last) major city in which I lived, and finding all those trees right there in the city was a very pleasant surprise to me.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM

77 posts, read 51,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I would think Houston. Houston is very suburban. LA too, but LA is a bit less suburban. LA has some beautiful trees.

A city doesn't have to be suburban to have tree-lined streets though. Philly is a good example of this. But those sprawling suburban sunbelt cities are naturally going to have more trees.

Anyway my vote goes to LA because I have a thing for Palm trees. Especially those tall skinny ones
Suburban/urban has nothing to do with it. This is just talking of tree-lined areas.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 PM

32,372 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Atlanta is downright forested. I say ATL.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:27 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Not to go off topic because Sacramento is not one of the choices, but after a couple of people mentioned Sacramento I decided to look at the city using satellite views. I have to tell you I AMAZED how well treed large parts of Sacramento is. I had no idea!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 PM

77 posts, read 51,475 times
NYC, DC, Philadelphia, and Chicago all are established, so will have many neighborhoods that went through the state of beautification (including more street trees). Any one of these cities has a stake for being the answer to this thread's question.

LA is much too dry/arid in climate to have the ease of establishing tree-growth like any of these cities do. It will need irrigation just to achieve what all these cities can do without effort. The only department LA will excel in regards to tree canopy is the tender plant department (use of trees like jacarandas, for instance), due to very mild winters. Places further north in California (with higher precipitation) do much better (SF, Sacramento, etc).

Houston is the best out of all these options when it comes to the ability to maintain a year-round heavily lush/green tree canopy over wide areas. This is thanks to both high annual rainfall (highest of all these cities, 50+ inches on average) and mild winters (milder than all these cities except LA), a combination found nowhere else but the coastal South (i.e. New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, etc).

Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I picked Philadelphia. One of the things that I really liked about living in the University City neighborhood (West Philly) was exactly this: just how tree-lined the streets were. Philadelphia was my first (and, to date, last) major city in which I lived, and finding all those trees right there in the city was a very pleasant surprise to me.
In the Center City area perhaps. Overall not so much as the Northeast, University City and other sections can be virtually treeless block after block.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:09 PM

97 posts, read 84,650 times
Austin Tx is one of the greenest and most beautiful cities in the country. Should be on the list. Tons of tree lined neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.