U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:15 PM

57 posts, read 57,841 times

Advertisements

Consider Pittsburgh. It's an affordable city, LGBT friendly, has enough culture for a city twice the size, has something like 5+ 4-year colleges downtown, the chill artsy vibe is prevalent throughout the city, and has a ton of green space. The only thing is, you'll be a 6-8 hour drive from most of the larger cities (about 4 to Philly and DC) and the ocean. To make up for it, you'll have access to 3 rivers downtown, Lake Erie, and the Appalachians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 5,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I have endocrine issues also, not type 1 diabetes, but I have had a bit of a hard time finding endocrinologists here in Arizona. In Phoenix I think I had like two options that worked with my insurance. Here in Tucson I only had one option. Luckily, I normally go back to Phoenix often, and I am able to schedule my appointments with the endocrinologist the same times as when I go back home.

It does seem like you will have to go back East. If a major city like Phoenix out West struggles with having endocrinologists, I don't see the other Western cities having much of a difference. You'll have to research that on your own.
It's insane the lack of endocrinologists here!! There's only one within a 100+ mile radius of where I am and he's so overbooked that he hasn't taken new patients in over a year. I don't know how diabetics stay alive out here, or at least ones on Medicare. But I'd think places the size of Phoenix or Tuscan would at least have a few options! Jeeze. I feel like Portland may be my last viable option out here

Old 11-21-2016, 09:00 PM

10 posts, read 5,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are those areas affordable in terms of what the OP is looking for?
I've heard so many good things about Northampton/Amherst but between the large amount of college kids and the affluent, upper crust hippies, I've never been able to find anything remotely affordable within a half hour radius. So far Mass, Conn, and Maryland are the most appealing East coast options, but I've been unable to find housing in my price range. Between health issues, my dog, and my annoyingly high level of social anxiety and introversion, having a roommate (especially a total stranger) really freaks me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.