U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 PM

10 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Alabama but a year ago I moved to Northern California with the intention of getting my master's degree. It's been a welcomed change of pace and culture from the south! The big problem I'm having is access to healthcare. I have multiple health issues including Type 1 diabetes and I've had a horrible time trying to get established with doctors out here! My diabetes hasn't been this out of control since I was first diagnosed as a teen and it has contributed to having to postpone grad school. Unfortunately it seems like the CA cities with better access to doctors are also ridiculously expensive (LA, SF, etc) So as much as I love Cali, I feel I have no choice but to move...

Staying on the West Coast pretty much leaves Portland and Seattle, but I'm trying to be realistic as to if I'm cut out for the gray, rainy weather (not very depression compatible unfortunately). But they're still a possibility.
My other option is to pick somewhere in a Northeast state (Midwest is out because of landlock and having to move back to the South is my greatest fear). I know a little about the big cities in the NE like NYC and DC but I don't know what the states themselves are like. With my budget I know that realistically I won't be able to live directly in a big city, but I'd really like to find a place that's within a few hours of one.
Here are some things I'm looking for in a new place. I know that it's unlikely to find a place that checks off everything on the list, but gotta start somewhere

-Access to healthcare, especially for low income/medicaid patients
-Affordable (rent less than $700)
-Culture (museums, concerts, art, theater, etc)
-LGBT friendly
-Bonus points for: being close to schools with anthropology graduate programs, general chill/artsy/hippie vibe, good climate, pet friendly, pretty scenery (parks, mountains, green spaces), reasonable distance to the ocean, medicinal marijuana, and for being within 4 hrs of NYC

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 08:07 PM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
This may be worth a look: The Joslin Diabetes Center | Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Another potential facility: https://www.guthrie.org/services/diabetes-center

Perhaps this one as well and the location fits most of what you are looking for: https://www.cayugamed.org/content.cf...D=73&topicID=7

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-26-2016 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 08:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,008,159 times
Massachusetts and Vermont should be your focus. Lowest uninsured rates in the country and the most generous safety net health coverage for low income patients. Also by far the most advanced universal healthcare systems in the nation.

Eastern Mass won't work in your budget but Western Mass is worth looking into. Also the major healthcare systems in Boston have relationships outside of Boston for your routine visits and for more complex issues you can head into Boston for care like many people in New England do.

Somewhere around Northampton, Amherst or Worcester may work. In Vermont look at Burlington area.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 AM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Massachusetts and Vermont should be your focus. Lowest uninsured rates in the country and the most generous safety net health coverage for low income patients. Also by far the most advanced universal healthcare systems in the nation.

Eastern Mass won't work in your budget but Western Mass is worth looking into. Also the major healthcare systems in Boston have relationships outside of Boston for your routine visits and for more complex issues you can head into Boston for care like many people in New England do.

Somewhere around Northampton, Amherst or Worcester may work. In Vermont look at Burlington area.
Are those areas affordable in terms of what the OP is looking for?

Old 10-27-2016, 03:43 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,394,579 times
Research Triangle Park, NC- As good of Heathcare as can be found in the country and rents arent too outrageous. Duke University, UNC Hospitals, Wake Medical and numberous, numberous specialty physicians.

Also Houston Texas has the biggest if not one of the biggest health complex in the country I believe it may be worth a consideration. Also Omaha Nebraska I read recently.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Maybe the Capital District area of NY state? Albany, Troy or Schenectady. Lots of colleges, pretty good COL, many good hospitals and docs. Not sure about medical marijuana in NY though?? Not hippie'ish, but democratic and pretty tolerant. Weather so so. Snow in winter. 3 hours North of NYC. You could take the train.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:09 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkroom8 View Post

-Access to healthcare, especially for low income/medicaid patients
-Affordable (rent less than $700)
-Culture (museums, concerts, art, theater, etc)
-LGBT friendly
-Bonus points for: being close to schools with anthropology graduate programs, general chill/artsy/hippie vibe, good climate, pet friendly, pretty scenery (parks, mountains, green spaces), reasonable distance to the ocean, medicinal marijuana, and for being within 4 hrs of NYC

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Research Triangle Park, NC- As good of Healthcare as can be found in the country and rents arent too outrageous. Duke University, UNC Hospitals, Wake Medical and numerous, numerous specialty physicians.
This ^^

Check out cities like Durham or Carrboro where desirable one bedroom rentals can be had for $550-$650 per month and within an area with excellent graduate programs in Anthropology at Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State. Durham and Carrboro(especially) has the chill/artsy/hippie vibe you're looking for and both are quite LGBT friendly (lived there for 7 years and I'm gay myself). There's also an amazingly diverse cultural scene and an excellent local food scene with very nice farmers markets/natural food grocers/coops, farm-to-table restaurants and it's great for vegetarians/vegans too if applicable.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 5,960 times
Thank you all for the information!!

Massachusetts would probably be my first choice, but I'm having trouble finding any affordable cities that are still large enough to have a decent selection of Drs. (Same goes for Connecticut and Maryland). Though Northampton sounds lovely!

My family is rooting for North Carolina. It is definitely one of the prettiest places I've been and the people are great. And the Chapel Hill campus is really nice. But it's hard to ignore the socio-political issues (of an anti-lgbt nature) as well as the state opting out of the Medicaid expansion. I told my family it's kind of like eating at Chik-fil-a; no matter how appealing it is, it's hard to justify giving your money to people that don't like you.

I'm curious as to what Pennsylvania is like. The cost of living in places like Reading and Allentown seems really reasonable and they're close to NYC, Baltimore, and DC.
Also, how much snow does Southern Vermont/New Hampshire get?
I love snow...in theory. Lol. But I don't have a lot of experience living in it and for some reason I'm really apprehensive about driving in snow.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkroom8 View Post

My family is rooting for North Carolina. It is definitely one of the prettiest places I've been and the people are great. And the Chapel Hill campus is really nice. But it's hard to ignore the socio-political issues (of an anti-lgbt nature) as well as the state opting out of the Medicaid expansion. I told my family it's kind of like eating at Chik-fil-a; no matter how appealing it is, it's hard to justify giving your money to people that don't like you.
That's not actually the case as the state's larger metro areas are quite liberal and the LGBT issue has unfortunately been politicized which is why those behind it (McCrory the governor for instance), are being trounced in early voting/polling. Neighbors Durham, Chapel Hill and Carrboro for instance are on par with cities like Seattle and San Francisco in terms of their liberal voting records and overall attitude.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
I have endocrine issues also, not type 1 diabetes, but I have had a bit of a hard time finding endocrinologists here in Arizona. In Phoenix I think I had like two options that worked with my insurance. Here in Tucson I only had one option. Luckily, I normally go back to Phoenix often, and I am able to schedule my appointments with the endocrinologist the same times as when I go back home.

It does seem like you will have to go back East. If a major city like Phoenix out West struggles with having endocrinologists, I don't see the other Western cities having much of a difference. You'll have to research that on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.