U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 2,225 times

Advertisements

By this I mean the 20 somethings that ARE NOT in college or university anymore, meaning that avenue DOES NOT EXIST for making friends or anything.

Note: This does not relate to real estate as much as it does to American culture, please don't move thread.

I heard from a friend of mines that moved to NYC that he has made more friends and acquaintances there than he ever made in his college years. Now granted to be fair, even though we went to a big school in the south, it had a massive Greek Life scene and was largely loaded with upper middle class suburban kids who were extremely shallow. If you weren't on the football team or in a higher status fraternity, you were going to have a very rough time making friends. The kids that weren't involved in sports or Greek Life were extremely studious and didn't want the big social life so they kept the social life more low key. None of the partying, large social gatherings, or any of that.

My friend in NYC claims that he has had an amazing social experience there. He lives in an apartment building where there seems to be this sort of community like feel, almost college dorm like, for a lot of the residents. He says he goes to cafes in the neighborhood and he has made a few friends through there as well as through going to a few bars in the neighborhood frequently, friend is 26 btw.

Friend says that there is this sort of community like feel to where he is running into some people over and over again in his neighborhood, has been invited to rooftop pool parties, comes back home at night and runs into some girls that live in the same area as him, and says that this is more of a neighborhood that is designed for 20 somethings right out of college. He says that his social life is a lot better there than it ever was in university.

Are there really neighborhoods and apartment complexes in major cities that are like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 AM

270 posts, read 226,499 times
There is definitely that type of lifestyle available in parts of Long Beach, California, though they aren't all 20-somethings-- in Long Beach, that kind of thing seems to continue well into the 30s. There is actually a new apartment complex that seems to have been built specifically to encourage that kind of community feel, but it also happens organically elsewhere.

I suspect, though do not know, that you could find that sort of thing anywhere there is a large concentration of "alternative"-minded young people. If they don't have kids or traditional jobs, they'll be more likely to continue on with a "hang out with friends" type of social life.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:56 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,595,967 times
You don't need an apartment complex to meet people. Just live in an urban neighborhood...there ya go. Not everything is going to fall into your lap.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:38 PM

949 posts, read 619,996 times
Well, come to think of it, yes, I believe there is such a complex.

Whatsit named again? Melrose something or other...Oh right, "Melrose Place" .

Hoppin' full with young, beautiful, hip, 20-somethings - all just as you've described.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 PM

21,297 posts, read 30,620,194 times
Not all cities are created equal in that respect but would say cities besides NYC that offer environments similar would include Boston, Philadelphia, DC/Northern Virginia, Richmond, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Buffalo and other smaller medium sized cities with dense/well-established walkable neighborhoods where people tend to heavily utilize public transit.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
You don't need an apartment complex to meet people. Just live in an urban neighborhood...there ya go. Not everything is going to fall into your lap.
Location does matter A LOT in regards to social life and meeting people.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderinggrad View Post
Location does matter A LOT in regards to social life and meeting people.
Yes, but any big city will do. What I was saying is that you don't need an apartment complex specifically designed for that. Why manufacture it? All the cities kyle listed are great suggestions.

I'm 26 and have lived in 4 US cities...haven't had a problem in any of them. Reality is, that if you need what you were suggesting in your OP to meet people, you probably aren't going to meet anyone at all.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes, but any big city will do. What I was saying is that you don't need an apartment complex specifically designed for that. Why manufacture it? All the cities kyle listed are great suggestions.

I'm 26 and have lived in 4 US cities...haven't had a problem in any of them. Reality is, that if you need what you were suggesting in your OP to meet people, you probably aren't going to meet anyone at all.
I have a tough time buying that you had no problems.

Eitherways, what I suggested in OP can definitely help and I would love it if you stayed on topic rather than lecturing everyone on what they need or don't need.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:35 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderinggrad View Post
I have a tough time buying that you had no problems.

Eitherways, what I suggested in OP can definitely help and I would love it if you stayed on topic rather than lecturing everyone on what they need or don't need.
Why is that? It really isn't that hard. Live in a walkable neighborhood of a dense city where you can use public transit, and you're all set. The type of thing you are suggesting sounds ready made for someone who does not know how to socialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or