Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM

33 posts, read 27,209 times

Advertisements

I'm in my mid 30s and have lived in Florida my entire life. I've got no clue how to survive an actual winter if I moved up north. Driving in it, dressing for it, winterizing my house.... Totally clueless and intimidated.

Wanted feedback from any other southerners who've gone through a similar learning curve. Anything you wish you'd known before you moved? Anything not as big a deal as you feared? Do you regret your move or love it (in regards to weather)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Having done that myself as a native South Floridian I can speak to your concerns. It depends upon where you're moving in my opinion as living in a car-dependent location during the winter months can be a royal pain in the a** and definitely not familiar in terms of driving on ice/snow or digging your car out of a snow bank. In fact in most larger cities a car is a big liability and not worth all of the expense especially with the advent of Uber or Lyft, along with public transit of course and even car-sharing services like ZipCar which are a big help for grocery/box store runs on weekends. Some Floridians find the middle ground of cities like Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville and Richmond good alternatives to the scarily massive big cities of the Northeast in that they offer big city amenities without the climate extremes, horrendous traffic/hustle bustle to the max or overwhelming vertical size.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:52 PM

Good advice. North Georgia is definitely on my radar

Old 10-28-2016, 09:34 PM

84 posts, read 146,854 times
lol, I thought you were gonna say something like New York or Boston. You'll be fine in Georgia, snows maybeee once a year. Native floridian as well, have lived in Dallas (the roads get pretty icy) and atlanta, haven't had any problems. you'll be fine in Georgia.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
lol, I thought you were gonna say something like New York or Boston. You'll be fine in Georgia, snows maybeee once a year. Native floridian as well, have lived in Dallas (the roads get pretty icy) and atlanta, haven't had any problems. you'll be fine in Georgia.
Georgia would be my "safe" choice. Also considering NY, Midwest, Rocky mountain states, PNW... Options are pretty open. I want to get out of the heat and experience seasons, but an honest to god winter ( like NY, WI, MN) scares me.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheruf View Post
Georgia would be my "safe" choice. Also considering NY, Midwest, Rocky mountain states, PNW... Options are pretty open. I want to get out of the heat and experience seasons, but an honest to god winter ( like NY, WI, MN) scares me.
You also have consider that those states are prepared and have the infrastructure in place to general clear snow in a timely manner. That is what allows life to go on during the winter in those states.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:58 PM

306 posts, read 336,523 times
Quote:
I moved from Hawaii to Wisconsin when I was entering high school, so I don't have a full idea of what the transition was like, but it definitely took some getting used to. Now I've moved back to Hawaii, and really, winters while yes, have their inconveniences in the north, they aren't bad. It's a learning curve, but you get used to it. You sort of have to. It sounds like you don't have a job offer in the north that you're looking at, but if you happen to come across that in the future, I honestly wouldn't let the winter be a determining factor. Though every person is different. Winters in the north, while cold, can be a blast as well.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:19 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
You want to get out of the heat and are looking at Atlanta?

Old 10-29-2016, 09:04 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You want to get out of the heat and are looking at Atlanta?
Florida has what amounts to about 7 months of summer while Atlanta gets at most 3 months, with less humidity generally speaking too. It's not like other big cities don't see screaming hot summers either. I lived in Philadelphia for 10 years and DC the 7 years prior where most years their July and August was as hot or hotter than what I experience here in the Orlando area.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:14 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida has what amounts to about 7 months of summer while Atlanta gets at most 3 months, with less humidity generally speaking too. It's not like other big cities don't see screaming hot summers either. I lived in Philadelphia for 10 years and DC the 7 years prior where most years their July and August was as hot or hotter than what I experience here in the Orlando area.
Factually untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.