Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:07 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I moved from NYC to Detroit. I remember walking out of an office building downtown and asking someone where the nearest Mc Donald's was. I was shocked at the answer: "Oh, there isn't a McDonalds anyplace downtown." Talk about culture shock. I knew then the city was really bad off if a city with 1 million people (city proper back then) couldn't support a Mickey D downtown.

The other culture shock moment was walking within sight of the downtown skyscrapers and seeing empty blocks used as official agricultural demonstration projects by UMich (or maybe MSU). Even back then, empty NYC blocks in tough areas weren't growing fruits and vegetables for academic research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 03:09 PM

828 posts, read 691,800 times
Moving to San Francisco Bay was worse culture shock than moving to Europe or Asia.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Are you sure he wasn't making one of those dry humor jokes? Even here in Alabama I have never experienced anything like that, in fact many formerly "dry" counties and towns are voting to go "wet".
Yeah, I bought beer in the OKC just about every day for a 25 year period and never had that happen to me. But you have to consider the source here. This guy complains about OKC constantly and claims this happened on "his first day after moving to OKC".

However, this poster, in his previous incarnation on C-D, stated that he grew up in Moore, OK.................... and even under his current user name he has stated that his parents are from OKC.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I moved from Scottsdale to LA and I didn't experience a culture shock at all, the culture seemed pretty similar to me. What is odd is that when I moved from Downtown LA to Santa Monica/Venice area I experienced an immense amount of culture shock. People don't realize this, but LA is so diverse culturally. Living in Santa Monica/Venice is NOTHING like living in downtown LA...I expected the lifestyle to be different, but not THIS different. I much prefer DTLA.
LA is 5 cities rolled into one

Old 10-29-2016, 04:49 PM

33 posts, read 27,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Really??? Been in the South my whole life and have never heard of that. I am a Christian, a conservative, don't drink, and live in the South. Never heard of that or seen it. Not saying it doesn't or can't happen, but you will see the same ridiculous behavior from some liberals. Liberals can be just as "judgmental" (overused, misused word. EVERYONE judges multiple times a day about all sorts of things), biased, hypocritical, closed-minded, and intolerant as some Conservatives can....trust me. So the regional/religious/political stereotyping from anyone is equally ignorant. No matter where you live, generally, if you're cool with people, you can get along with most anyone. Most people are pretty much live and let live even if there's disagreement, myself included.
Well said, I agree with you. Being from the south I mainly have experience with conservative Christians who (intentionally or not) make me feel awkward if I don't attend church. But as a middle of the road type of person, I do wonder if I would feel equally out of place in a ultra liberal environment. Yes we all judge, but going out of your way to make someone feel inferior is what I was referring to. And that judgmental sentiment could equally come from an atheist, vegan, hardcore environmentalist (insert Portlandia meme here).

Old 10-29-2016, 08:47 PM

79 posts, read 133,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatheruf View Post
Oh wow, that's surprising to me and very relevant to my situation. I was in the Tampa Bay Area for several years and the suburbs north of Atlanta is an area I've been thinking about. For such a big city I'm surprised it would be so conservative. I've also spent a lot of time in conservative Southern communities (growing up and currently) and I'm definitely trying to find someplace with a more open-minded feel.
For what it's worth I don't find Atlanta to be that conservative.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:13 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Living in Montreal Canada as a young child was like living in the twilight zone. Everything was backwards, the weather was insane, the language barrier was ridiculous, the people were hit or miss, etc. A nightmare for me.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
This could have happened in any state. The man was simply expressing his "concern" for you even though it may be unwarranted. What's so shocking about it?
I'm from the South and have rarely even heard that here.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:10 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yeah, I bought beer in the OKC just about every day for a 25 year period and never had that happen to me. But you have to consider the source here. This guy complains about OKC constantly and claims this happened on "his first day after moving to OKC".

However, this poster, in his previous incarnation on C-D, stated that he grew up in Moore, OK.................... and even under his current user name he has stated that his parents are from OKC.
Bawac is probably making it up to justify his hatred of OKC, which he does persistently. I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:48 PM

97 posts, read 122,869 times
My posts got deleted but...Coming from Charlotte to Austin was shocking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.