U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:31 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,648,077 times

Advertisements

Chicago. I've never met such rude and unpleasant people. I had less shock traveling to Canada, Mexico, China, etc. Sorry, but every person I dealt with in Chicago was awful and I've been there 4 different times. Hotels, restaurants, museums, airport, etc. The only friendly people were others visiting the city.

Coming from the Midwest I expected to meet culture shock in the south, but I didn't really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,994,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Plus most religious people here drink, at least a little bit, temperance is a Southern Baptist thing.
Explain to us why you cannot buy liquor on Sunday in Minnesota.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Nope. That was truly my experience. Atlanta is a completely different place compared to Tampa ( or anywhere else in the Florida peninsula really). Atlanta is different demographically, culturally, historically, ancestrally, religiously, etc.
But you left out the slobbering. What about all the 'Southerners' you met that slobbered all over themselves when they tried to speak?

Of course Atlanta is different than Tampa - why wouldn't it be? But your beyond delusional hatred of the place has erased any shred of credibility you may have ever had here.

You will continue to be challenged, especially when you lie to people seeking honest information regarding a possible move.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:18 AM

970 posts, read 1,643,933 times
These stories of culture shock are truly horrifying and shocking. I hope y'all can muster the strength and courage to peservere, some way, some how.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 AM

3,813 posts, read 6,540,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Are you sure he wasn't making one of those dry humor jokes? Even here in Alabama I have never experienced anything like that, in fact many formerly "dry" counties and towns are voting to go "wet".
My thoughts exactly !

Old 11-01-2016, 07:54 AM

11,763 posts, read 8,325,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
My first day in Oklahoma City, I was buying beer (near beer mind you as that's all they can sell here) in at Wal-Mart, and a man in the checkout line told me I shouldn't be drinking because it's a sin. To me, that moment set the tone for my years since in OKC.

I have stayed in OKC because I can't afford to simply pack up and move without a job, though eventually I intend on doing that.
You've obviously never been to Vegas. All you need to do is walk down the Strip in the early evening and you'll be told you're going to hell.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:19 AM

240 posts, read 323,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You've obviously never been to Vegas. All you need to do is walk down the Strip in the early evening and you'll be told you're going to hell.
Haha I'll second that. Or just take a walk down Hollywood BLVD. on any day, at any time and have people on megaphones screaming at you "you're going to hell just for being here." :P

Old 11-02-2016, 02:27 AM

240 posts, read 323,986 times
Coming from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles. It wasn't necessarily about the two cities even though they are vastly different, but I moved out here to be an actor and I just remember feeling how excited I was to be chasing my dreams and I was on my own for the first time.

I remember even working for Disney when I was sleeping in my car, how I'd drive around at night just staring out my window like "holy *****." I can go to Hollywood BLVD, Studio City, or go to the ocean... etc. it was an empowering feeling. Than I met a girl I feel in love with who broke my heart so I'm still out going through a horrible depression that just doesn't seem to be ending lol. Great stuff.

Oh, I also love the desert and the mountains. So going from Oklahoma City where it's flat and green was a huge contrast.

I still remember how excited I was when I traversing down I-20 almost hitting El Paso and seeing the mountains beginning to appear. IT WAS SO AWESOME!!! I hit a town called Yuma, AZ, right on the border of California and knew what I chosen to do by chasing my dreams and it dawned on me. As soon as I came through the hills into San Diego and made my way up the 5 to Los Angeles, wowowowowowo. Sometimes I wish I could go back just to feel that feeling. Though even that didn't feel as good as I felt going to Lake Tahoe with who I thought was girl I would spend my life with, buuuuuuuut...

I also would have to see NYC was a huge culture shock from Los Angeles as is San Francisco. I will be visiting Tokyo for a movie project next year, so I'm excited to take that on!

Old 11-02-2016, 06:27 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,316,971 times
Moved to Missouri from North Carolina. Seeing anti-abortion billboards on the highways was quite the change. I don't ever remember seeing them in NC.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:27 AM

8,569 posts, read 12,688,681 times
A few quick stories from the past. Not huge culture shock but differences. My parents were both born and raised in NYC - Manhattan and Brooklyn in the 1940s and 1950s. Neither one had much money growing up, so they didn't travel much. They moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia in the mid-1960's for a job. They were driving around town and saw a sign that said "Welcome to ABC Town. No Gunning" My mom said they were hysterical, thinking "where the heck did we move to?" It was such a foreign concept to them that there might be hunting or shooting nearby.

Then one night soon after they moved there, they went into Phila. mid-week to catch a show. After the show, my mom wanted to buy a pack of gum, so they walked around to find a store, but all of the stores were closed and the streets were dead. My mom stopped someone and asked why nothing was open, and the person said, "The stores are only open late on Thursdays during the week." My mom's mouth was agape. She had never heard of such a thing! In New York, people were always out walking around and stores were open every night.

A few weeks later, they were expecting guests, so my mom went to the supermarket to buy supplies, including beer. She said she walked all around the supermarket looking for the beer, circling the store a few times before she finally stopped a worker and asked where the beer aisle was. He looked at her like she was crazy, "Huh? You can't buy beer here. You need to go to the beer distributer down the street." My mom had never heard of such a thing. (Pennsylvania has archaic alcohol laws!)

My parents adjusted and have lived in Pennsylvania ever since and like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or