U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:03 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times

Advertisements

Texas to DC. Just love the hustle and bustle of DC, public transportation, 4 seasons, less conservatism, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:41 PM

760 posts, read 590,720 times
I've traveled/lived in many places, but nothing came close to my experience one night in Chicago.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee, lived in a smaller town for a few years, so I was used to the more genuine Midwest culture. I go down to Chicago to visit a friend on a Friday night. I am in his parking lot when my phone died. I didn't know his room number, and I couldn't find his mailbox with his name. After standing around for a few mins, the only thing I could think of was to find a place to plug in my phone and call him. I am in the parking lot of the complex and I see a women walking her dog. I walk up to her and say "Excuse me, do you know anywhe----". Without a pause, she starts screaming "Ahhhh AHhh get away from me", and kept going. I walk away and look back at her, and she stops, stares at me and pulls out a phone and looks like she is about to scream again. It was 530PM on a Friday night, in a well lit, affluent area. I was wearing office attire, and overall looked well kept. It was the single most shocking thing that happened to me in my younger years, and has since left an awful taste in my mouth about Chicago.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,048,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Chicago. I've never met such rude and unpleasant people. I had less shock traveling to Canada, Mexico, China, etc. Sorry, but every person I dealt with in Chicago was awful and I've been there 4 different times. Hotels, restaurants, museums, airport, etc. The only friendly people were others visiting the city.

Coming from the Midwest I expected to meet culture shock in the south, but I didn't really.
Our experiences could not be any more different in regards to Chicago. I have been there a few times, and I can only remember 1 rude person. (He was a waiter at a restaurant we were at and got all huffy when we asked for iced tea....) Everyone else was great. There were a couple of times we were lost, and we actually had people from Chicago stop and help us out without us asking. We even ended up having dinner with one couple at a restaurant he was part owner of after they helped us find Gino's Pizza for lunch.

Anyways....

My culture shock came when I was 14. I went from a small town in south AL, which was the largest town within 60 miles and had less than 5,000 people, to Memphis, TN. My school in AL had 250 people in the entire school, and my school in Memphis had around 600 just in my grade. Add to that the traffic, demographics, amount of people, noise level, difference in politics/religiosity, and a whole bunch of other stuff and it made for an interesting first few weeks.

I did grow to love Memphis, and ended up staying there for a total of 15 years, got my degree from U of M, and form strong ties with a lot of people. I did end up moving though, as I had a job offer back in AL that I couldn't turn down. If I had the opportunity to move back I would consider it though.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:58 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,023,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I've traveled/lived in many places, but nothing came close to my experience one night in Chicago.

I was born and raised in Milwaukee, lived in a smaller town for a few years, so I was used to the more genuine Midwest culture. I go down to Chicago to visit a friend on a Friday night. I am in his parking lot when my phone died. I didn't know his room number, and I couldn't find his mailbox with his name. After standing around for a few mins, the only thing I could think of was to find a place to plug in my phone and call him. I am in the parking lot of the complex and I see a women walking her dog. I walk up to her and say "Excuse me, do you know anywhe----". Without a pause, she starts screaming "Ahhhh AHhh get away from me", and kept going. I walk away and look back at her, and she stops, stares at me and pulls out a phone and looks like she is about to scream again. It was 530PM on a Friday night, in a well lit, affluent area. I was wearing office attire, and overall looked well kept. It was the single most shocking thing that happened to me in my younger years, and has since left an awful taste in my mouth about Chicago.
That's too bad...that was one person. I'd put on my big boy pants, and try to not judge an entire city over that.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:12 PM

3,392 posts, read 1,336,464 times
Quote:

Unless everyone in Chicago acted like that, which certainly doesn't reflect my experiences there at all, then what you experienced wasn't "culture shock." What you experienced was one person acting like a fruitcake.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:11 AM

3,399 posts, read 4,808,825 times
My culture shock happened in Jacksonville Mississippi when my family was moving from Florida Phoenix. After hours on the road we decided to stop at a mall in Jacksonville to stretch our legs and grab a quick bite from the food court. The moment we walked in we got dirty looks and felt like we were aliens from another planet. We tried to shrugg it off, but everyone we encountered seemed to have a bad attitude. We promptly got back in the car and decided not to eat or do anything until we got out of Mississippi, period!

We traveled often and never encountered anything like that before.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,713 posts, read 10,854,236 times
When I moved from the South West back to the North East. It was like someone poured a bucket of cold water on my head. I was used to rather indifferent, very laid back interactions and it changed to more abrupt, in your face, verbal interactions. I guess I was too laid back for that anymore! I couldn't adjust. So weird cuz that was my home state. I didn't fit in anymore.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 21,895 times
What state in the NE, Nanny Goat?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:50 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,644,150 times
Quote:

My first time visiting Chicago I had a similar experience. This was probably 15 years ago when I was a young teenager. I don't remember exactly where we were, but we were walking around in this nice park area, near or in downtown, and I was taking lots of pictures and this woman started screaming at me not to take her picture. One of the most terrifying moments of my life.

Despite having bad experiences with locals on every trip, I do love Chicago pizza and the city is very pretty. I come from a small town in Kansas, so maybe our perspectives are similar. I was so used to people smiling and talking back if you ask them a question. Ask people for directions, hotel staff for help, waiters for extra time and the response was almost always the same, a frown followed by some wise crack, almost daily this would happen. Kind of ruins the Chicago experience. We did meet one really nice employee at the Science Musuem, but a nice person shouldn't stand out. Maybe I have had bad luck when traveling there.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:41 PM

22,709 posts, read 28,770,848 times
Culture shock? No, I just set about fitting myself in.

I probably would not go back to Maryland without a very good reason, but I found myself a good job, my family joined the Catoctin national park mounted horse patrol, I figured out where to shop, we found good restaurants, and we bought a liitle sailboat to use on Chesapeake Bay.

Every place I've ever lived there is plenty to do and plenty to see. I've never had any problems with local residents in any location, in the USA or out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or