U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:43 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times

Advertisements

Cultue shock never occurs for me, everyone loves me because I am rich, the word accommodates for the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 04:25 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,796,650 times
Vanderbiltgrad - user name seems appropriate for comment, sounds legit.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 AM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas to DC. Just love the hustle and bustle of DC, public transportation, 4 seasons, less conservatism, etc
Flip side is I've never seen more apathetic customer service than in NOVA. Grouchy, lazy people at the grocery store, restaurants etc.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,881,760 times
I moved from Detroit to Minneapolis. Shocked that the inner-city rough areas actually looked pretty nice. I went Apartment hunting on the North Side (over north as the locals say) and saw this nice looking apartment building only to find out that it was a public housing project . It was also a culture shock going from a majority black city to a majority white city. I actually had to go try to desperately find black people where as in Detroit I needed, from time to time, to desperately get away (I am African American by the way...but I value diversity). In Detroit I was kind of like a nerd and the women did not gravitate heavy towards me (what a brother got to do ). When I came here getting women was as easy as being cold in January. It seemed like all the brothers were dating white women so black women were glad to see a brother like me show them attention.....and I did. ......AA, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Nigerian.....

Old 11-22-2016, 03:03 PM

292 posts, read 202,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My first time visiting Chicago I had a similar experience. This was probably 15 years ago when I was a young teenager. I don't remember exactly where we were, but we were walking around in this nice park area, near or in downtown, and I was taking lots of pictures and this woman started screaming at me not to take her picture. One of the most terrifying moments of my life.

Despite having bad experiences with locals on every trip, I do love Chicago pizza and the city is very pretty. I come from a small town in Kansas, so maybe our perspectives are similar. I was so used to people smiling and talking back if you ask them a question. Ask people for directions, hotel staff for help, waiters for extra time and the response was almost always the same, a frown followed by some wise crack, almost daily this would happen. Kind of ruins the Chicago experience. We did meet one really nice employee at the Science Musuem, but a nice person shouldn't stand out. Maybe I have had bad luck when traveling there.
You have to understand something about big cities. In places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, etc, people in their daily routines come across hundreds of people. For example in my 10 minute walk to the train I pass by about 50 people, then while waiting in the train station I am probably waiting with another 50 people. Once I get in the train there are about 100 people in my car. Once I get off the train and do my 10 minute walk from the train to the office in downtown Chicago I probably walk by 500-1,000 people if not more. Then I get in my elevator and share it with another 10 folks or so. This is EVERY DAY. Add to that the few homeless people always approaching you, the crazy people that yell on the train, and the neurotic drivers beeping everywhere in downtown.

So you have to understand, I am not an unfriendly person, quite the contrary. However, based on the number of people that I come across every day, it would be ludicrous to smile, greet and talk to everyone that I see in my daily routine. The only ones that I make the effort with is when I see my neighbors out and about. This in general is the same attitude with everyone in Chicago and in big cities. It's not being rude, it's just people have places to go and coming across so many people in your daily routines you just don't have the time to do that. Also, when you are a tourist, you are usually in our way. Tourists add about 5 extra minutes on my walking commute because they either get in the way or they traffic, so when you stop me to ask me a question, I'll gladly give you an answer, and that's about it, not gonna take the time to converse or be all smiley to you, because most likely I am running to a meeting or something.

I think you have to look at it differently. The lack of smiling and willingness to greet you is not rudeness rather city life that happens not just in big US cities, but most big cities around the world. Unless people are particularly nasty with you, what you described is very typical of city life.

On the contrary many city people I know find it weird when they are greeted by strangers walking down the street or when entering and elevator. They find it very weird and akward, I know I do.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 PM

5,884 posts, read 6,317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The near beer I am referring to is 3.2 beer.
Near beer has no alcohol, back in the day the only kind you could get was Kingsbury, Met Brew or Dis-Go, it was a product of prohibition. There used to be 3.2 beer in Ohio which was all you could buy if you were 18, but they did away with it and made all beer available for 19 & 20 year olds because too many 18 year old high school seniors could (and in my case did) legally buy beer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or