Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I moved from Tampa to Atlanta and the two cities are worlds apart. Culture shock like crazy. Atlanta has almost no Spanish culture, a LOT more Southern culture, much more religious, southern accents, southern ancestries, etc. MUCH more socially conservative. Lots of the gay men aren't out to their parents, etc. if they are out then they can't talk about it. Tampa has much more northern influencs because of transplants where as a plurality of Atlantas transplants come from the south.
Isn't it about time you took this comedy show on the road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 11:26 PM

641 posts, read 794,508 times
Going from Raleigh area as a 17yo to Dallas was a culture shock... a pleasant one.. So much to do out here, the women were gorgeous and approachable, it was more diverse than I thought it would be...

I love it here and I'm a full fledged Texan now... I'm never going to leave this state

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,533,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
My first day in Oklahoma City, I was buying beer (near beer mind you as that's all they can sell here) in at Wal-Mart, and a man in the checkout line told me I shouldn't be drinking because it's a sin. To me, that moment set the tone for my years since in OKC.

I have stayed in OKC because I can't afford to simply pack up and move without a job, though eventually I intend on doing that.
I wouldn't blame that on OKC. You can run into a religionist like that anywhere.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Really? The guy sells beer. I mean honestly.
Yes, really. Go back and re-read the post. It was "near" beer, which means it had no alcohol in it. I mean honestly.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 812accucheck View Post
My posts got deleted but...Coming from Charlotte to Austin was shocking
In what way?

Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes, really. Go back and re-read the post. It was "near" beer, which means it had no alcohol in it. I mean honestly.
The near beer I am referring to is 3.2 beer, something they sell in Oklahoma and Utah because the government doesn't think grown adults are responsible enough to handle real beer. Oklahoma is voting to do away with it 50 years past due this November. Hopefully it passes because that will be a small step in the right direction.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The near beer I am referring to is 3.2 beer, something they sell in Oklahoma and Utah because the government doesn't think grown adults are responsible enough to handle real beer. Oklahoma is voting to do away with it 50 years past due this November. Hopefully it passes because that will be a small step in the right direction.
I'm glad my state's alcohol laws are pretty loose. I love being able to buy beer almost 24/7 and stay at bars til 4AM.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 AM

4,370 posts, read 7,019,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Near beer can contain up to 2% alcohol.

And the OP doesn't say it was the cashier who scolded him.... A customer next to him in line could have said it .

Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,519,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Never came remotely close to culture shock travelling US, Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, then I visited India and shock finally arrived.
Pure filth there. Absolutely unbelievable people live in it.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:07 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,519,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Really??? Been in the South my whole life and have never heard of that. I am a Christian, a conservative, don't drink, and live in the South. Never heard of that or seen it. Not saying it doesn't or can't happen, but you will see the same ridiculous behavior from some liberals. Liberals can be just as "judgmental" (overused, misused word. EVERYONE judges multiple times a day about all sorts of things), biased, hypocritical, closed-minded, and intolerant as some Conservatives can....trust me. So the regional/religious/political stereotyping from anyone is equally ignorant. No matter where you live, generally, if you're cool with people, you can get along with most anyone. Most people are pretty much live and let live even if there's disagreement, myself included.

Where in his post does he criticize conservatives and praise liberals? He simply told what happened and indicated that it mirrored future experiences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.