U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times

Advertisements

Tornado. You usually have warning (or you at least can tell the conditions are favorable for severe weather) and you can take shelter. Plus, it's possible for the tornado to hit your crappy neighbors house and leave your house standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 PM

551 posts, read 996,748 times
I think Tornado is the least worst of the three. You'll be safe if you have a house that is made of concrete, or live in an apartment building that was made like it could survive a bomb being dropped on it. Hurricanes while they have plenty of warning, can be very disruptive to cities for weeks or even months perhaps depending on their intensity. Earthquakes are the worst because they can come at any time without warning and there will be falling glass on you when you least expect it.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,238,355 times
I would think that hurricanes are the least dangerous when considering the warning time. Most hurricanes are tracked by the weather service and government for days before they actually make landfall. That gives people plenty of time to escape. Of-course the damage from a hurricane can be very extensive and leave neighborhoods without water or electricity for weeks.

Tornadoes are dangerous because they can hit with very little warning and can totally destroy a house. But they are more localized to a small area. A tornado can hit one house and entirely miss a house next door. They are very dangerous however and people get killed every year in the U.S. by tornadoes.

Earthquakes are very frightening and totally level many towns within seconds. Strong earthquakes can kill more people than hurricanes and tornadoes combined. Earlier this year Haiti lost 250,000 people from an earthquake that lasted less than one minute. But Chile also experienced a deadly earthquake this year and less than 500 were killed. Buildings can be constructed to hold up very well in earthquakes and why Chile survived much better than Haiti even though the earthquake was much stronger in Chile.

We get earthquakes in California also but the last 2 major earthquakes [Loma Prieta quake in the Bay Area in 1989 & the Northridge quake in LA in 1994] killed less than 150 people combined because earthquake reinforced building construction is mandated by state law.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,617,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I agree. Tornados and hurricanes for me. The worst part about earthquakes for me is they don't come with warning. I've jumped out of bed and ran for the door so many times lol
And plenty of aftershock with an earthquake.

I've never experienced the other two so I can't say, just wanted to add the comment above.

On a side note, isn't Portland prone to floods, earthquakes, and volcanoes?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,946,013 times
Hurricane is the worst by far.

A Tornado is sneaky and that is scary but hurricanes are brutal for a longer period of time with far worse widespread aftermath.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,813,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
And plenty of aftershock with an earthquake.

I've never experienced the other two so I can't say, just wanted to add the comment above.

On a side note, isn't Portland prone to floods, earthquakes, and volcanoes?

oh yeah the Aftershocks are gnarly too. It's like a roller coaster ride lol

and I'm not sure. They are prone to earthquakes, but I don't know about the other two.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,813,146 times
Try dealing with Wildfires with wind blowing in all different directions, pushing it in different directions, filling the air with black, grey, and orange smoke. You evacuate as ash falls from the sky and you hear fire trucks speeding by with their sirens on. A week later you come back to find your house still standing, but houses a mile away are completely destroyed along with all their posessions.

Earthquakes are scary here but the more I think of it, Wildfires are scarier than any tornado, earthquake or hurricane

Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Just based off the aftermath alone I would very easily go with tornado.

A vast majority of tornadoes are really weak, and the fact they impact a very small slice of land area means that even if you end up with a terrible tornado - at least the entire rest of the region and the city where it hits are left untouched and can step in instantly to help out.

You look at a bad hurricane or earthquake and the entire region is screwed up. It's a lot harder to get fast help and put the situation under control within one or two hours - let along one or two days.

Tornadoes might take out a street of houses or tear through a neighborhood/small town at their worst - but everyone outside that .25 mile wide path of destrution is available from the second the storm passes. You're talking about finding shelter for 100 people on a street or two of houses. Not entire city or an entire metro area.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,134,235 times
A hurricane is only the worse if it is a bad one and usually they aren't bad. Plus, with a hurricane there is little excuse to be caught in one. I would rather be 100 miles in land and loose my house again than just happen to be in the wrong place when a tornado touches down, or the wrong building when an earthquake occurs. Hurricanes usually end up no more than wind/rain events for cities like Houston, Miami, and New Orleans.

The only thing I don't like about hurricanes is the week of sitting out of town glued to the t.v. with your fingers crossed, praying that the storm moves to the east or west just an inch, then feeling bad because you're wishing the storm onto someone else.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 AM

181 posts, read 106,725 times
Hurricane, def. Cause you have days to prepare and decide if you want to get the heck out of the area. You can stash up on food and board your home up and get all furniture inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.