U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,567 times

Advertisements

Of the three, I would choose to live with the threat of hurricanes. There's no real warning for earthquakes and tornadoes can just suck you out of your bed in the middle of the night. With hurricanes you have so much warning time. I've lived in Houston, and was actually one of the two million people that fled the city during Rita. We had plenty of warning, so there was time to board up the house, get everything we valued, including ourselves, and get out of town. Even though it actually veered off to the east at the last minute, and all our house got was a little bit of rain, we knew we were safe. That said, if I still lived there, I don't know that I would leave again.

I grew up in Dallas and currently live in Oklahoma so I'm no stranger to tornadoes either. I've actually been in 2. One in Dallas when I was a kid. Our home was actually hit by one. Also, I was in a shopping mall in suburban Houston when it was hit by one. I thought I knew all about tornadoes until I moved to Oklahoma City. I have learned more about them than I ever wanted to know. For the most part I do feel really pretty safe because there is so much news coverage, and they will tell the public sometimes days in advance that there is a chance of "a significant weather event" happening. If there is any type of storm anywhere in the area, the news coverage is constant. Many people do have storm shelters, often in the garage, but unfortunately we don't. Every spring we discuss having one installed, then storm season passes, and we forget about it. Most everyone has a weather radio, but I just hate those things. They go off constantly, and 3 o'clock in the morning I don't really want to know that there's one 30 miles away, going in the opposite direction. They can be programmed just for your county, but if you live near a county line, like we do, you have to program it for both. One night, it literally was going off every 15 minutes, but there was nothing even remotely near us. I finally got up and just ripped the batteries out of it.

We have had quite a few earthquakes here in OK in the last year or so, but they have been small and I have not felt one. Did feel a very small one once many years ago while living in west Texas. I didn't realize that was what I felt until I got to work that day and someone told me about it. I thought it was just a really big truck rumbling down the street making the floors vibrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times
I enjoy all three.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Tornodos have the least chance of directly hitting you, but when it actually does, it's not pretty

Both Tornado and Earthquakes are extremely dangerous because of head injuries especially. hurricanes can cause so much damage but you can get out in time. The cascade effect hurricanes have with other disasters is terrible though.
Well storms like that happen in our country once every 2-3 years. I believe the stats are that if you stood in one particular spot in tornado alley and waited, you would be struck by a tornado on average once every 10,000 years - and even then 85% of tornadoes that hit are F0 or F1, which normally just cause broken glass, tree damage and possible roof issues.

I was in a store once too when the tornado sirens were tested and people not from the midwest started freaking out. It was all nice and sunny out as well with no alerts of possible storms! I've found people who aren't from the Midwest tend to be much more frantic and scared of tornadoes than people who live in tornado alley and understand the situation. It's not like they just randomly come out of the blue sky with no warning. You usually are alerted a few days in advance that big storms are probably going to pop up, and then if they actually do you get constant updates on the news and through radar. 95% of the time people sit watching out the windows as the storms finally get there - I can't remember the last time I was actually surprised by a big storm.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well storms like that happen in our country once every 2-3 years. I believe the stats are that if you stood in one particular spot in tornado alley and waited, you would be struck by a tornado on average once every 10,000 years - and even then 85% of tornadoes that hit are F0 or F1, which normally just cause broken glass, tree damage and possible roof issues.

I was in a store once too when the tornado sirens were tested and people not from the midwest started freaking out. It was all nice and sunny out as well with no alerts of possible storms! I've found people who aren't from the Midwest tend to be much more frantic and scared of tornadoes than people who live in tornado alley and understand the situation. It's not like they just randomly come out of the blue sky with no warning. You usually are alerted a few days in advance that big storms are probably going to pop up, and then if they actually do you get constant updates on the news and through radar. 95% of the time people sit watching out the windows as the storms finally get there - I can't remember the last time I was actually surprised by a big storm.
I don't know about you, but I can "feel" when it's tornado weather. You go outside in the morning and it's bright and sunny with blue skies, but it just feels off. Might not make sense to anyone else and I can't really explain it, but there it is. LOL

The other thing (at least where I live), is they tend to be a little overzealous with the issuance of warnings. It used to be if the sirens went off, that meant an actual tornado touched down in our county and we should get our butts in the basement. Now they issue tornado warnings for "doppler indicated tornadoes" or rotation and they spend what seems like hours focusing on the "hook echo" on the radar (gotta love meteorologists sometimes...like a bunch of kids on Christmas morning with their toys ). One time I was driving home, knowing there were storms headed my way. A tornado warning was issued and expired by the time I got home before the storm even hit!

Honestly, people not from the area who move here should fear hailstorms more than tornadoes.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:51 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,820,128 times
Like I said before Earthquakes and wildfires are the scariest things ever!

The earthquakes just happen randomly and sometimes it's starts out with gentle rolling then gets bigger and sometimes it starts with a big jolt then gets even bigger. The one on Easter lasted 40 seconds and you could hear it coming before it started shaking. It was like a thundering sound then it got worse. After an earthquake you have aftershocks that can be just as strong and sometimes stronger and the ones we've had lasted up to 30 - 40 seconds.

Wildfires are unpredictable too. When they start you don't know where or how big they will get and when you're evacuated, you have no idea if your house is still standing.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
I could deal with an earthquake by far. Of course, it's fatal if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it's over quickly. I was in Santa Cruz one year and awoke to an earthquake (cannot remember it's Rickter but wasn't more than a 5), and I think I was the only soul that managed to roll over back to sleep.

Been around tornados, too. You have some warning with those but they've been known to "jump" their targets. It's damage to peoples' lives can be catastrophic.

Hurricanes, no way! If it's a predicted bad one, I would leave. Again, the damage can be so catastrophic.

However, I have always feared losing everything in a fire. I cannot imagine the mind trips this must cause. I also hate ice storms. Hate leaving the house to even go to work when they hit.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I don't know about you, but I can "feel" when it's tornado weather. You go outside in the morning and it's bright and sunny with blue skies, but it just feels off. Might not make sense to anyone else and I can't really explain it, but there it is. LOL
Exact same thing with a hurricane. It's just something about the way the wind blows that day before. Next thing you know, all the animals start leaving and a storm has your area in its cross hairs.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,567 times
Quote:

Yep, me too. Maybe it has to do with the changing barometric pressure.

The other thing (at least where I live), is they tend to be a little overzealous with the issuance of warnings. It used to be if the sirens went off, that meant an actual tornado touched down in our county and we should get our butts in the basement. Now they issue tornado warnings for "doppler indicated tornadoes" or rotation and they spend what seems like hours focusing on the "hook echo" on the radar (gotta love meteorologists sometimes...like a bunch of kids on Christmas morning with their toys ). One time I was driving home, knowing there were storms headed my way. A tornado warning was issued and expired by the time I got home before the storm even hit!

Same here. I think sometimes the meteorologists are disappointed when nothing happens.

Honestly, people not from the area who move here should fear hailstorms more than tornadoes.
Very true. Hail the size of a baseball can do some serious damage to anything it hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Exact same thing with a hurricane. It's just something about the way the wind blows that day before. Next thing you know, all the animals start leaving and a storm has your area in its cross hairs.
Yep.

Sometimes I think people do start to take the warnings for granted, probably because they are issued so often. Back in May we had some really strong storms moving through late one night. The meteorologists were on TV tracking the storms. There were a couple of funnels they were tracking in our viewing area, but no where near us. All of the sudden our sirens start sounding. DH and I get the dog, and go to our safe place. We wait and listen until the sirens stop. We finally come out because it's not even raining at our house. We turn the TV back on and they still are not warning about anything in our area. The next day they report that there had been a mistake made by our towns emergency management department and the sirens were turned on by accident. I think because of this kind of stuff and constant news coverage, we just get desensitized to the warnings.

Of course you can tell someone who has lived in Tornado Alley too long, because we run outside and look up at the sky instead of running for cover. LOL

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
That's funny, it's so true. There are definitely days when I walk outside and think "damn, it's gonna be bad this afternoon". It's something about the humidity, the sun shining, heat early in the day and the lack of a breeze.

I always think of The Color Purple, when she walks out on the front steps and says "feels like twista weather".

You can also tell it's going to be really bad if you get a strong cold wind that blasts you in approach of a storm. It will be 90 degrees out, and then suddenly drop 15 degrees as the sky starts to blacked on the horizon. The bigger the storm the more hot air it pulls up into the storm itself/clouds. Then the downdrafts fall out to make up for the displaced air pressure out ahead of the squal line.

We've gotten 2-3 really good storms here this summer, one which prompted them to sound the sirens downtown in Chicago. Another one before that had us evacuated to the stairwells in my office building downtown. That one blew out windows in the downtown area, and had our building swaying like we were on a boat! It was really freaky. We're all staring out the windows, and suddenly notice we're falling back and forth as the building moved with the wind.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:21 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,453,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's funny, it's so true. There are definitely days when I walk outside and think "damn, it's gonna be bad this afternoon". It's something about the humidity, the sun shining, heat early in the day and the lack of a breeze.

I always think of The Color Purple, when she walks out on the front steps and says "feels like twista weather".

You can also tell it's going to be really bad if you get a strong cold wind that blasts you in approach of a storm. It will be 90 degrees out, and then suddenly drop 15 degrees as the sky starts to blacked on the horizon. The bigger the storm the more hot air it pulls up into the storm itself/clouds. Then the downdrafts fall out to make up for the displaced air pressure out ahead of the squal line.

We've gotten 2-3 really good storms here this summer, one which prompted them to sound the sirens downtown in Chicago. Another one before that had us evacuated to the stairwells in my office building downtown. That one blew out windows in the downtown area, and had our building swaying like we were on a boat! It was really freaky. We're all staring out the windows, and suddenly notice we're falling back and forth as the building moved with the wind.
Ahhhh....I love Tornado Alley.

We have hardly had any storms the last two years. However, there were a few tornadoes in 2008 (including the one that hit a boy scout camp and killed 4 kids). I am either lucky or unlucky...I'm never in the area where the worst of the storms hit. Obviously I don't want death and destruction, but I LOVE the severe weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.