U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 06:06 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,818,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I am currently living in DFW for work, and while I like the people and culture, I am not liking the climate. I am more use to coastal and temperate climates, where itís more seasonal and not as extreme. While I am okay with warm summers and cool winters, I am not okay with living in a place that is uncomfortably hot more than half the year. Itís often still in the high 80s/low 90s in the fall and late spring. The non-diversity of terrain is also a major downside. Very far from the coast or mountains. Is there another location that I would like better (ie the good things about Texas, but not the downsides)? Where to other Texans like to move to when they want a change? I can tolerate 3 months southern summers, I just donít want them extending into other seasons.
After 26 years of Houston's long and oppressive summers, we moved to Philadelphia in 2011. Never looked back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 05:42 AM

45,089 posts, read 36,303,462 times
I am not originally from Texas but I moved here about twenty five years ago. I love Texas overall, but I do miss crisp fall days. We get about six of them in late November or maybe December - LOL. Here in northeast Texas, we do get fall colors but very late in the year and it's pleasant but not the riot of fall colors that I've enjoyed in the midAtlantic region or Ohio over the course of my life.

So we just try to go on vacation to one of those areas or the northeast some time in the fall each year. This past October we went to Maine, for instance.

That way we get the best of both worlds - we get to live in Texas (a state we love) but we get to get a taste of other seasons on vacation.

The heat doesn't bother me unless it's still hot in late October - which can be the case sometimes. But I love the mild winters and there's no season more beautiful than spring in Texas, and even early summer, in my opinion. The only time I start getting antsy about the weather here is when it should be fall but it's still summer.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:21 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,002,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am not originally from Texas but I moved here about twenty five years ago. I love Texas overall, but I do miss crisp fall days. We get about six of them in late November or maybe December - LOL. Here in northeast Texas, we do get fall colors but very late in the year and it's pleasant but not the riot of fall colors that I've enjoyed in the midAtlantic region or Ohio over the course of my life.

So we just try to go on vacation to one of those areas or the northeast some time in the fall each year. This past October we went to Maine, for instance.

That way we get the best of both worlds - we get to live in Texas (a state we love) but we get to get a taste of other seasons on vacation.

The heat doesn't bother me unless it's still hot in late October - which can be the case sometimes. But I love the mild winters and there's no season more beautiful than spring in Texas, and even early summer, in my opinion. The only time I start getting antsy about the weather here is when it should be fall but it's still summer.
Uh huh.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
After 26 years of Houston's long and oppressive summers, we moved to Philadelphia in 2011. Never looked back.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v9ObdkAKtsg
I love that video. Love the 4 seasons in the Mid-Atlantic to Northeast. Looks like Houston could still get low 80s this week.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:05 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,130,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I don't believe you will find what you're looking for in Texas. If you are okay with leaving the state, take a look at Colorado. I feel like half of Denver is from Texas (the other half is from California). Just make sure you bring money....
This. ^

Colo Dept of Revenue published a list of licenses surrendered from transplants one year. The vast majority were from Texas and California. But Texans have been moving to Colorado for about 75 years now, so the Californians are a bit late to the party.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:40 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,170,205 times
Yeah, this time of year every place all over the world is "supposed" to be crisp and cool with lots of fall color.

People can be so simple.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Yeah, this time of year every place all over the world is "supposed" to be crisp and cool with lots of fall color.

People can be so simple.
It is in the northeast, other than a few anomalies.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It is in the northeast, other than a few anomalies.
Really? I had no clue.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Really? I had no clue.
You should visit. Southwest flies directly to many northeast locales from Houston and Dallas.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You should visit. Southwest flies directly to many northeast locales from Houston and Dallas.
I don't live in Houston or Dallas, so I don't know why I would care about that.

My favorite time to visit that area of the country is in fact autumn, but summer time in NYC is a lot of fun too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or