U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:10 PM

108 posts, read 60,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I love that video. Love the 4 seasons in the Mid-Atlantic to Northeast. Looks like Houston could still get low 80s this week.
Fantastic weather.

Quote:
It is in the northeast, other than a few anomalies.
Like where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,516,338 times
Lots of people from Texas lived in Denver.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:48 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,230,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Atlanta is your answer.
I wouldn't think so. Atlanta is more humid than DFW and only slightly cooler in the summer and winter.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:15 PM

45,136 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Quote:
Uh huh.

What does this even mean?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:43 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,004,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What does this even mean?
Oh this means I agree with you.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Oh this means I agree with you.
Well, alrighty.

If I ever move from Texas, which isn't likely but COULD happen, who knows, I would probably move to Virginia, to the coastal/Chesapeake Bay area. I do like 4 seasons, but weather isn't the only deciding factor in where most people live, and it's certainly not the deciding factor for me as I choose to remain in Texas (which, as I stated before, is not my native state).

For me, the deciding factor is family. That and of course, the ability to make a living. I have both in Texas. After those two factors, I consider the general vibe or friendliness of a place. I prefer the southern states in general and Texas in particular when it comes to that aspect. So once again, I have that where I live too.

Cost of living then comes into play - and I like the low cost of living in Texas. I love that I can afford a beautiful, spacious home in a lovely neighborhood in a friendly, pleasant town with lots of good amenities which I can afford.

THEN probably comes weather. Having lived all over the world, I realize that there's no place with what I would consider perfect weather. Therefore, I'm prepared to just put up with some unpleasant weather, for, say, 3 months out of every year. More than that and I'd be pretty dissatisfied. In Texas, the three months that are unpleasant to me are mid July through mid October. I'm just tired of the heat by October. But the other 9 months make up for that to me.

As for scenery and stuff to do - I find my region of Texas to have pleasant scenery and to have plenty of interesting stuff to do in my normal routine. It's not over the top drop dead gorgeous but it's very pleasant - rolling hills, plenty of trees and rivers and lakes and pastures. When I want mountains or the ocean or a tropical vibe or snow, I either drive or fly to some place that offers those things. It's called a vacation and I enjoy those. But I don't need to have vacation land at my fingertips every day - I enjoy the simpler things in life like sitting out on the patio and petting my dogs, listening to old school jam with my husband and laughing together.

Anyway, to each his own.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, alrighty.

If I ever move from Texas, which isn't likely but COULD happen, who knows, I would probably move to Virginia, to the coastal/Chesapeake Bay area. I do like 4 seasons, but weather isn't the only deciding factor in where most people live, and it's certainly not the deciding factor for me as I choose to remain in Texas (which, as I stated before, is not my native state).

For me, the deciding factor is family. That and of course, the ability to make a living. I have both in Texas. After those two factors, I consider the general vibe or friendliness of a place. I prefer the southern states in general and Texas in particular when it comes to that aspect. So once again, I have that where I live too.

Cost of living then comes into play - and I like the low cost of living in Texas. I love that I can afford a beautiful, spacious home in a lovely neighborhood in a friendly, pleasant town with lots of good amenities which I can afford.

THEN probably comes weather. Having lived all over the world, I realize that there's no place with what I would consider perfect weather. Therefore, I'm prepared to just put up with some unpleasant weather, for, say, 3 months out of every year. More than that and I'd be pretty dissatisfied. In Texas, the three months that are unpleasant to me are mid July through mid October. I'm just tired of the heat by October. But the other 9 months make up for that to me.

As for scenery and stuff to do - I find my region of Texas to have pleasant scenery and to have plenty of interesting stuff to do in my normal routine. It's not over the top drop dead gorgeous but it's very pleasant - rolling hills, plenty of trees and rivers and lakes and pastures. When I want mountains or the ocean or a tropical vibe or snow, I either drive or fly to some place that offers those things. It's called a vacation and I enjoy those. But I don't need to have vacation land at my fingertips every day - I enjoy the simpler things in life like sitting out on the patio and petting my dogs, listening to old school jam with my husband and laughing together.

Anyway, to each his own.
Great post. As long as you're happy, and I'm happy exactly where we are, great. That's what is so great about the US.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:10 AM

Here's an interesting site that gives stats on where people move to and from in the US.

State-to-State Population Migration

As you can see, Texas leads the nation in net migration FROM other states TO Texas.

However, of course even though Texas consistently grows in net migration (from other states, not counting immigration from other countries) rather than shrinks, here are some states that are popular destinations for people leaving Texas:

California
Colorado
Louisiana
Florida
Oklahoma

Out of those states, more people moved FROM Texas than TO Texas in Colorado, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Florida and California lost more people to Texas than they gained from Texas.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:40 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,171,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I wouldn't think so. Atlanta is more humid than DFW and only slightly cooler in the summer and winter.
They're more or less equal, with DFW actually having higher dew points. Contrary to popular belief, Atlanta isn't all that muggy. It's higher elevation moderates the surrounding weather quite a bit. You will get a lot more rain and cloudy days, however. Dew points:
https://www.climatesource.com/us/fact_sheets/td_us.gif

"Slightly cooler" is an understatement. Atlanta summer highs average several degrees lower than Dallas' with less likelihood of temps exceeding 100. There's also more relief from storms. The former easily has the more tolerable summers and it's not really close IMO. Winters are a wash.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:44 AM

I remember it snowed like crazy during one of the Super Bowls in Atl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or