U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

I'm a small town girl from SC Kansas, wanting to relocate, start a new chapter in life and go somewhere new. Wanting to stick to somewhat small town but 1hr drive to city for medical job, doesnt have to be a big city but population between 20,000-60,000. Looking into areas like Dumas, Tx or Plainview, Tx or areas around North Platte, NE or Ogallala, NE. I'm a country girl, love horses and cowboys. Not too picky about weather coming from Kansas where the weather changes every hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 12:57 PM

149 posts, read 131,585 times
I am from CA originally but just moved up to Omaha, NE from Midland, TX. TX certainly has that southern charm and hospitality going for it and my family enjoyed our stay in TX HOWEVER, we are absolutely loving things in Omaha. I know that this city is bigger than what you are looking for but in my mind Eastern NE is just a much more balanced place to live than what I saw of TX. Rural TX is VERY rural, the cities can be crazy hectic. NE things are just a little more in the middle.

Have you looked into the outlying areas in Eastern NE at all? Places like Wahoo, Fremont, or south in a place like Nebraska City? All are fairly easy travels into the city for work but not TOO close. I would strongly suggest trying to get to the areas yourself and just get the feel of them, sometimes the feel just isn't right.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:06 AM

Omaha is too big for what I'm looking for, I kind of want to stay on the western side of Nebraska. I'm planning on visiting both states before making a decision! Thank you for the input

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM

4,235 posts, read 7,270,220 times
Nebraska only has about a half dozen cities with 20,000 people. Jobs in the medical community are plentiful in all parts of the state. The area around n Platte and Ogalalla is a fishermans paradise with good hunting and outdoor recreation. Cost of living is smaller communities is cheap if you don't mind a half hour or so commute one way.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:13 AM

4,985 posts, read 5,067,920 times
I would pick Nebraska, I'm not even sure why people live in Texas other than jobs, it has no appeal, no charm, no lure, most of it anyway. Nebraska has a bit of each.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,270,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I would pick Nebraska, I'm not even sure why people live in Texas other than jobs, it has no appeal, no charm, no lure, most of it anyway. Nebraska has a bit of each.
I do love Nebraska but I also love Texas. With the exception (IMHO) of the area around Texarkana, Texas has people almost as great as those you find in Nebraska. As far as scenery goes Texas has something for everyone and lots of it. Mountains, desert, miles and miles of miles and mile, ocean and more. If you have ever had the pleasure of driving across Texas when the flowers are in bloom in the Spring or the Desert is blooming after a Spring rain you know what beautiful looks and smells like. Yup Texas has it all! Except for the Cornhuskers LOL.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:37 PM

I just came back from a vacation in New England, that's gorgeous scenery in the fall but definitely not a place to live for me. Not a fan of desert like scenery, and my hair isn't a fan of humidity so South Texas is a no go. Are there many country bars or dancehalls in Western Nebraska?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:00 PM

432 posts, read 751,148 times
I think the first one you should scratch from your list is Lubbock if you're looking in the 20k-60k population range. Lubbock has 250k+ and doesn't really meet your preference for a "small town."

Old 11-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,628 posts, read 39,998,659 times
TX is really HOT. (I'm an ex-cornhusker and spent a lot of time in KS and also have home in TX) not west TEX.

Career / school / activities / interests?

For medical career and cowboys... Can you get a VA job and go to Sturgis or Spearfish SD, or Sheridan, WY ? (Ranchester is small, nice and close to Sheridan). Both WY and SD are income tax free (as are TX, WA, NV, FL, TN, NH, AK). THAT is GREAT for a young wage earner. Helped me flee employment 15 yrs early. Working nights helps a lot too, and plenty of daylight to 'cowboy'.

NE is VERY tax unfriendly.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Wanting to stick to Nebraska don't want to be too far from home, I work in EMS, like riding horses..I work a lot so don't have much time for anything else, not a party person, past the college days lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or