U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 26,280 times

Advertisements

Hello, I want to move out of Florida, Miami specifically, and I'm thinking between Seattle, Portland or Chicago. I was wondering if i can get any advice or opinions on these place as far as which would be the better place to move to start out as a young professional, and also advice on any other city i might have over looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,794,282 times
Seattle and Portland both have a high cost of living, even higher than Miami. Chicago is surprisingly reasonable (referring to cost of living) for a truly world class city, with tons of opportunity for young professionals and more affordable neighborhoods. Not cheap, but as a whole probably less expensive than Miami. I honestly only went to Portland once so it wasn't enough to really speak for it, and I haven't been to Seattle at all, but I can tell you that if you want to live in a REAL city with abundant opportunity, you will like Chicago.

One note, Chicago is corrupt as hell. It even makes Banana-Republicish Miami look civilized as far as local politics go. And you can sense the corruption. But all and all it's a fantastic city.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,663,828 times
What exactly are you looking for?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,653,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lac6684 View Post
Hello, I want to move out of Florida, Miami specifically, and I'm thinking between Seattle, Portland or Chicago. I was wondering if i can get any advice or opinions on these place as far as which would be the better place to move to start out as a young professional, and also advice on any other city i might have over looked.
All three are good choices. Since you are "starting out as a young professional" do you have some good job leads in a particular one of these cities. That would be an important step towards identifying which city would be the best for you to embark on your professional career.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM

im looking for anything in either social sciences or legal, since i plan on doing law school. I did interships for the General Consulate of Spain and United Nations Associations. I've heard liberal arts major are higher a lot in business field though, i don't know why.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 PM

692 posts, read 2,421,255 times
Quote:
im looking for anything in either social sciences or legal, since i plan on doing law school. I did interships for the General Consulate of Spain and United Nations Associations. I've heard liberal arts major are higher a lot in business field though, i don't know why.
Professionally speaking.. Chicago hands down...
or like a previous poster mentioned more like hands out.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM

If you're going to law school Washington University in St. Louis is an excellent school, but not easy to get it. St. Louis University and University of Missouri St. Louis are great schools as well. I couldn't tell you about getting a job, but there are some law firms in the city. And St. Louis I believe is cheaper to live in than the other 3.

Any of them are wonderful cities, though. Have you gotten your resume out there just to see your offers or are you just asking about cities you want to know more about?

If you do want to look into St. Louis, here's a place to look at available jobs:
STLtoday - Jobs
Also: st louis, MO jobs classifieds - craigslist

And the nearby schools:
Washington University in St. Louis - probably the most expensive of the three, and probably the hardest to get into.
Saint Louis University : SLU - Catholic-run (if that appeals to you, I don't think their rules are really strict, though)
UM-St. Louis Home - Largest in the city as far as enrollment, from my understanding
Webster University has campuses nationwide, as well as one in St. Louis
Ranken Technical College - Home - Technical school. won't appeal to you

There's a few other schools in the city, but I don't know anything about them. If you did decide on St. Louis, housing is pretty affordable.
st louis, MO apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
STLtoday - Homes

Just a suggestion.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-25-2008 at 06:18 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 08:03 PM

I forget to mention that Im moving out with my fiancee, not just by myself so i dont know if that plays a factor. Shes in health care, Veterinary more specifically. Are jobs in Seattle really tough to come by?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:15 PM

My suggestion would be to get your resumes out there and see where you get the best offer, and weigh that with other factors, such as cost of living.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,293,464 times
Its probably worth posting on the individual city forums. There's a lot of specialized knowledge on the Chicago forum regarding cost of living and job prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or