U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Until you are poor and homeless.
The cost of living will keep soaring in California and as the old saying goes Money Talks $$$$.
Nice weather, mountains, ocean, museums, cultural amenities etc don't mean anything if you don't have any $$$ to enjoy them.
That's why you are seeing a large migration to Indianapolis. With the tens of thousands of dollars people save living here every year compared to other cities you can travel all across the world. There is a sizable traveling population here and even some family members of mine do it.
Now that's a good way to enjoy life. Explore this world while you have the 1 chance to do it.
People are returning to their roots after tasting California, that's why they are "migrating" to your city. Your heartland is not more desirable than California. No offense but Money Talks $$$$ could never influence me to relocate to the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 10:47 AM

242 posts, read 161,963 times
California is so poorly run. It is run by anti-humanist busybodies that seek to cut gas usage in half over the next 10 years (sb-150 which thankfully got beat in the assembly). No wonder people want to leave that cesspool. Unfortunately they are escaping themselves which means their stupidity spreads to formerly saner states such as Colorado, and Washington State.

Texas was a big enough state to begin with so they were in better shape to resist the Californicators.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:37 PM

18,538 posts, read 19,527,203 times
Just got this in a email fro CA.

Reasons folks are drawn to California
By JONATHAN LANSNER
STAFF COLUMNIST
Want to know why California feels so crowded?
Last year, 514,000 people moved here from other states, according to new data from the U.S. Census Bureau. That’s on top of 334,000 who came from foreign lands. It’s an influx that explains everything from crowded freeways and malls to pricey homes and apartments.
So I wondered how economic and demographic data might show what draws people to California. I filled my trusty spreadsheet with data from the census, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Trulia.
First, I created a ranking of states by their relative per capita movement to or from California from the new census migration data. That gave me a yardstick of where the California fan club resides (New Jersey likes us the most by this math) and what states’ residents were most disinterested in living here. (Idaho doesn’t care for us!) Then I compared the Golden State’s business and population patterns for the 10 “fan club” states from which California draws best – New Jersey, Alaska, Alabama, Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Illinois, Maine, Indiana and Massachusetts – vs. the 10 “disinterested” states from which the fewest number of people relocate: Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nevada,
SEE DRAWN
● PAGE 4

DRAWN
FROM PAGE 1
Montana, West Virginia, Iowa, Utah, Oregon and Arkansas.
Here’s how California matches up to other states and what’s so appealing about the Golden State:
● Sunshine sells. California’s average 59 degrees is the 13th-warmest temperature among all states and certainly looks toasty to folks considering relocation from our 10 fan club states (average 50 degrees) or the chillier 10 most disinterested states (average 48 degrees).
● We’re pretty dense, and many folks like that. Fan club state residents are used to “big” with an average population of 9.8 million, more than quadruple the 2.2 million average population in the 10 states from which California (population 39 million) draws most poorly.
● The Golden State loves ethnic and racial diversity, with 61 percent of the population made up of various minorities. That’s closer to the demographics of fan club states (35 percent minority) than the 10 most disinterested states (20 percent minority).
● California’s job market looks very appealing to folks from fan club states. The state’s job count has risen 13.6 percent since the recession ended. That’s almost double the pace of an average 6.9 percent growth in 10 fan club states. One reason we don’t draw from 10 most disinterested states? Their average 10.5 percent job gains.
CONTACT THE WRITER:
jlansner@scng.com

Old 11-25-2016, 01:54 PM

4,475 posts, read 2,659,202 times
Quote:
Actually a lot of people are moving here.
Net Domestic Migration is positive, Companies like Appirio, American Specialty Health, Raytheon, Research in Motion, Geofeedia are moving here and setting up huge operations.
Maybe you should actually come visit and live here for a little bit before making silly statements that aren't based on the facts.
I've talked to many transplants here from around America. 90%+ of them like it here and didn't know about the hidden gem of our city.
Ok, but the Census estimates show slow growth every year through 7/1/15. Examples don't overcome that.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:34 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
That email seems to leave out how many people left the state. I don't know about 2015-2016, but from 2014 to 2015,as well as before that, California had a negative net domestics tic migration rate.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:07 AM

4,475 posts, read 2,659,202 times
There's no real data. There are counts and estimates, which each have their strengths and weaknesses. Either is better than anecdotes and opinions by some guy on the internet.

In Indy's case, if it's booming that's different than any data I've seen, and very counterintuitive. So the guy-on-the-internet thing makes me additionally skeptical.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:47 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Unlike most states, California has balanced its budget since Jerry Brown took over (again). People like myself move because of the cost of living, along with some conservative-types who can't stand living under a liberal government. Once you have lived in California with its great food, weather, scenery, etc it's tough to move, but most people do it for practical purposes. And it really is worth it once you'v burnt out on the rat race in places like the Bay Area and L.A.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:04 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times
Quote:
When you are poor and homeless you'll think otherwise. Guaranteed it
We see this all the time in the coastal areas.
"I don't wanna leave New York! But i have no choice as my job is leaving or i can't get anywhere financially here" That is happening THOUSANDS of times every day. Paycheck to Paycheck living is pitiful and when you see coastal people refuse to move its impossible to logically feel sorry for them.
The Coastal areas have an ingrained cultural Ignorance that is finally coming home to roost and some people will have to find out the hard way. Rather it be running out of water like in California, Hurricanes like Sandy Slamming the Coasts, Losing their job and $$$ as employers move inland or overseas to cut costs, government services start shutting down due to the massive debt states like California, New York, Connecticut, Oregon, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island etc have. Plus the major tax hikes required.
This script plays out all the time in the coasts and when it impacts your family you'll start to understand it.
I live in Virginia (relocated from Cali) and have traveled across country 13 times.
If the only reason Indiana is receiving migrants is because they are poor/homeless/living paycheck to paycheck, well, that speaks volumes doesn't it?

If I were poor/homeless/living paycheck to paycheck I still would not join the supposed influx to the middle of the country, I would go further south, ALONG THE COAST......

Old 11-27-2016, 09:07 AM

1,785 posts, read 452,743 times
California is a great state to live if you work in one of the industries that pay enough to live here, but if you are part of the working class, this is one of the worst places to live. I see my co-workers with families working every day just to make ends meet, it's pretty sad. Me and my family live with my in-laws so we're doing okay saving money for down payment and moving the heck out of here, possibly to Minneapolis where wages and COL are good.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,824,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
The state is very beautiful but its also a very poorly run state, the city where I lived in california is now a land of rich and tons of have nots and a really declining middle class. Illegal immigration, crime, cost of housing, some of the highest tax rates yet really poor public schools, highest state sales tax rate in the nation by far ,taxes on gasoline, food, water, tags, etc .
This is more of a city issue than a California issue. The same thing is happening out here in the Eastern cities and is pushing people to the country. It's why the presidential election went the way it did. The Great Exodus of the middle class is happening across the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or