Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix or SW Florida
Phoenix 11 52.38%
SW Florida 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2016, 07:58 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,734,919 times

Advertisements

I might have a potential move to this area of Florida in the future (most likely the Naples area) and I'm wanting to know the differences and similarities, pros and cons, which one is better and which one is worse...
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:16 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,656,165 times
I'm not big on Florida, but I have to say if you had to end up there, Naples is a very nice area to be in. Gulf coast beaches with emerald green water, white sand, and seashells are fantastic. Since you're use to sunbelt cities like Phoenix I don't think Tampa or Fort Meyers would surprise you all that much, similar layout of commerce, residential areas, and development. Naples has a large retiree population. Are you a beach person? Beaches are really the only thing that excite me about Florida.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-02-2016 at 09:04 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I'm not big on Florida, but I have to say if you had to end up there, Naples is a very nice area to be in. Gulf coast beaches with emerald green water, white sand, and seashells are fantastic. Since you're use to sunbelt cities like Phoenix I don't think Tampa or Fort Meyers would surprise you all that much, similar layout of commerce, residential areas, and development. Naples has a large retiree population. Are you a beach person? Beaches are really the only thing that excite me about Florida.
Well, I do like swimming. I love water activities, some of my favorite sports and things to do. You can't drink alcohol on the beach in Florida though and that's the only true downside to beaches. I get why that is the case but still, nothing is better than a margarita on the beach.

Main concern is weather for me, and the fact that mosquitoes can't leave me alone these days it'll only get worse in Florida. Giant alligators are also a concern, I swear Florida is turning into the real-life Jurassic Park.

On the other hand, I'm open minded. I want change and well, Florida would be a change. It's definitely not on the top of my list but hey I could end up liking it. I haven't been to Florida in ages. And last time I went there was in elementary school. I remember certain parts of it, like I remember hating Orlando (super hot) but I liked Miami... since I was a kid I didn't keep important aspects but I did not like how small the waves were in Miami. I was used to California beaches at the time.

My parents are looking at moving to this area sometime in late spring and I have been offered to go with them. So it's on the table for me as even though it isn't the first place to come to mind for where I'd want to go, it so far is the most probable and likely chance of a relocation for me out of Arizona.

Naples is the target area of Florida but they have looked a bit north of there.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,656,165 times
From your posts, you seem to be more inclined to live in the west. You'll the miss the mountains. Roadtrips out of SW Florida, means a long way to get out of Florida and in to somewhere different. I like Arizona because you can take a short two hour drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff to cool off in the mountains in the summer. You won't have options like that in Florida and you'll need to fly to get a real good change of scenery. If the heat bugs you in AZ, it will bug you even moreso in Florida.

But you can certainly make the best of it and also embrace the changes. It will definitely be a change of scenery with very different cultural aspects. Life changes and moves are good life experiences that can shape you as you have no choice but to start writing new chapters in many ways. The newer type of development you're probably use to seeing in Phoenix/Scottsdale, and the Valley will be fairly similar in Florida. Screened in patios and pools are big down there, you may want to throw that suggestion to your parents when house hunting. I found certain parts of St. Petersburg interesting, Tampa was sorta mehhh.... Miami of course is always fun with much to explore in that area.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
From your posts, you seem to be more inclined to live in the west. You'll the miss the mountains. Roadtrips out of SW Florida, means a long way to get out of Florida and in to somewhere different. I like Arizona because you can take a short two hour drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff to cool off in the mountains in the summer. You won't have options like that in Florida and you'll need to fly to get a real good change of scenery. If the heat bugs you in AZ, it will bug you even moreso in Florida.

But you can certainly make the best of it and also embrace the changes. It will definitely be a change of scenery with very different cultural aspects. Life changes and moves are good life experiences that can shape you as you have no choice but to start writing new chapters in many ways. The newer type of development you're probably use to seeing in Phoenix/Scottsdale, and the Valley will be fairly similar in Florida. Screened in patios and pools are big down there, you may want to throw that suggestion to your parents when house hunting. I found certain parts of St. Petersburg interesting, Tampa was sorta mehhh.... Miami of course is always fun with much to explore in that area.
Yeah that's the downside. I've been extra crabby lately due to an abnormally HOT October. Seriously it's been ridiculous here. Florida would be hot also I know that but I really just need to start a new chapter in life. I dislike Phoenix for a lot of personal reasons but I do feel that I need a fresh start. Florida seems just as good as any.

Anyone who has seen my posts knows that I enjoy cold weather and dry weather (opposite of Florida I know) but if Florida brings me the change than so be it. I know quite a few Floridians and of course I'll have my parents so I won't be entirely cut off from socialization either I'll have places to start.

I barely go on road trips. I'm not sure that would change if I got a FT job in Phoenix due to the fact that most of my friends work weekends. Love Flag but it's not all that great going up there alone. And I've always wanted to live near water.

I do feel that I would like Miami more than this part of Florida, but this is the part of Florida that I would have a place to live haha.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,598,125 times
Good news is Naples is generally only about 2 hrs. from Miami, so easy to explore on day trips, likewise Tampa isn't much further, even Orlando Theme Park area is only a 3 hr drive and unique in its own way . Many parts of SoFla are closer than that and if you're looking for historical charm, DT Fort Myers has that and is only about 45 minutes away . Also, if you're looking for "Wild Florida" type exploring and hiking Naples is the best spot for that in addition to just having the Gulf for lounging, there are black bears, alligators and Florida Panthers all near that metro, and you can hike or kayak through cypress swamps. There are really quiet island beaches you can paddle out to that you'll have all to yourself. The 10,000 islands stretch of the Everglades is one of the more unique backpacking destinations there is IMO.

Edit: attitude determines everything. If you have it in your mind that you love water, if you do end up moving here, maximize your time spent there because paddling/swimming/boating/etc is one of the biggest charms of living here.

On the downside, it certainly is quite topographically isolated. You can always fly to Atlanta and drive a bit from there to the Eastern Mountains for cheap, but if you wanna drive that, it's like 10-11 hrs to true mountain scenery from Naples so not an easy venture. As for the heat, I'd say it's pretty rough, but not necessarily worse than Phoenix. It depends on whether you prefer dry or humid, but FL heat index generally not much different from Phoenix during summer. There's more shade though (depending on where you are), and there is water, but in summer, sometimes you need to get over to Atlantic instead of Gulf because there's more breeze and water is a few degrees cooler. Freshwater Springs are most refreshing summer option as they stay 72* year round but closest one of those to Naples is about 3 hrs, and there's also more shade in northern parts of state. Again, on climate, whereas in PHX during summer you can drive 2 hrs to Flagstaff and it's comfortable, you'd have to drive 10 hrs. to get to North GA for more comfortable summer temps. November to March however, the weather is absolutely phenomenal, no doubt, sometimes longer on either end, sometimes shorter, depends upon the year. Naples is a friendly place though so overall you can make it work. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,082,593 times
Naples is gorgeous and one of the nicer looking parts of Florida in my opinion. That being said it is mostly a retiree/family population and seems like it's severely lacking a young professional scene. I would look north to Tampa/St. Pete for a more lively city but if you're content with a very pretty, beachside area that is generally safe then Naples fits the bill.

Naples is probably most similar to Scottsdale if you're trying to compare to the two areas.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Naples is gorgeous and one of the nicer looking parts of Florida in my opinion. That being said it is mostly a retiree/family population and seems like it's severely lacking a young professional scene. I would look north to Tampa/St. Pete for a more lively city but if you're content with a very pretty, beachside area that is generally safe then Naples fits the bill.

Naples is probably most similar to Scottsdale if you're trying to compare to the two areas.
Ok, thank you for making this comparison. This is what I was worried about, young professional scene, as I'll be dating...

Old 11-04-2016, 05:55 AM

11 posts, read 9,913 times
Naples, Bonita, Estero has far more to offer, plus water, lots of cultural activities, great boating, super gold courses, aone great airport.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:36 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,102,139 times
I could recommend Naples to a lot of people for a variety of reasons. If you are young, trying to build a corporate career, trying to date while being young, like a vibrant nightlife, etc I would not recommend it. Fort Myers is bigger and slightly younger with more going on, but no where near Phoenix in terms of things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.