U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 03:32 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,877,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
When looking at google Maps during rush hour times, Phoenix seems to always have the most green.
Our traffic has started to get bad at rush hour ever since about 3 years ago, before 2013, our traffic was a breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Our traffic has started to get bad at rush hour ever since about 3 years ago, before 2013, our traffic was a breeze
I lived in Phoenix from 03-09, I don't remember that breeze lol. I remember rush hour lasting from 2-7 just like every other 4 million metro. Granted I haven't been stuck on I-17 in a few years so I don't know what current trends are.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I lived in Phoenix from 03-09, I don't remember that breeze lol. I remember rush hour lasting from 2-7 just like every other 4 million metro. Granted I haven't been stuck on I-17 in a few years so I don't know what current trends are.
I say a breeze in comparison to Los Angeles, today it took me almost 3 hours to get from La Mirada out to the weigh station in Banning, 65 miles

Old 11-11-2016, 11:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 3,495,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I say a breeze in comparison to Los Angeles, today it took me almost 3 hours to get from La Mirada out to the weigh station in Banning, 65 miles
Yeah I can imagine most cities would seem like a breeze in comparison.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:22 AM

223 posts, read 204,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Greensboro NC.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna say Greensboro. I went to college there (North Carolina A&T) and had zero problems with traffic. One of the main resasons is because Greensboro has 3 interstates (40, 85, and 73) and none of them are tolled. Even the main roads in town move pretty well with all the other major roads 4 laned (Wendovver, Battleground etc.)

I've driven through Raleigh numerose times and I can tell you there have been times were traffic is slow to a crawl in rush hour. Usually starts between the Wake and Durham county line by 540 and continues through Wade Ave. 440 just forget it. 3/4s of that highway you will be going no more than 15 mph in rush hour due to this highway being only 4 lanes and everyone uses it. Hell the exit to Crabtree Mall is a nightmare, a pure nightmare. Don't have that problem at 4 Seasons Mall in Greensboro. 540 is pretty bad by the airport but once you past that the traffic is bearable. 40 going out to Garner however is really bad. And thats not even counting some of the main roads in Raleigh (Gleenwood and Capital is a nightmare).

Old 11-11-2016, 11:59 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,680,982 times
I forgot Rochester, NY. Smaller city yes but traffic almost non-existent. Also has a highway system built for a larger population as someone mentioned before for Cleveland.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The cities that have grown the least since the interstates were built generally have the best traffic - I never had traffic issues driving through Detroit or Cleveland.
Except for those with highways grandfathered into the Interstate Highway System, of course.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:47 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,436,151 times
Rochester always was fairly easy, even with the can of worms

Phoenix is a mixed bag. There are outer areas during rush hour that aren't bad. Anytime not rush hour is easy. Rush is a bear. There was a drop during the crash, but traffic is back. A few years ago you could get after of it, but not anymore.

When looking at a map for traffic overlays you lose perspective on the size of the city.

Just look at I-10 east. In the morning it is a hard pushing lot from 83rd Ave through the tunnel to 7th st. On the map you see a lot of 10 both before and after this stretch as green so it doesn't look that big of a spot. However, it's 10 miles. That is a longer distance than Cherry Hill into Philly. In some cities that would be your commute and in many it would probably take you more time than it does to cover those 10 miles. In Phoenix, it's just a portion and a big grind.

So it's different than other places, but miserable in rush regardless

Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Rochester always was fairly easy, even with the can of worms

Phoenix is a mixed bag. There are outer areas during rush hour that aren't bad. Anytime not rush hour is easy. Rush is a bear. There was a drop during the crash, but traffic is back. A few years ago you could get after of it, but not anymore.

When looking at a map for traffic overlays you lose perspective on the size of the city.

Just look at I-10 east. In the morning it is a hard pushing lot from 83rd Ave through the tunnel to 7th st. On the map you see a lot of 10 both before and after this stretch as green so it doesn't look that big of a spot. However, it's 10 miles. That is a longer distance than Cherry Hill into Philly. In some cities that would be your commute and in many it would probably take you more time than it does to cover those 10 miles. In Phoenix, it's just a portion and a big grind.

So it's different than other places, but miserable in rush regardless
Most of Phoenix's worst traffic at rush is inside the 101

Old 11-11-2016, 10:56 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,436,151 times
Yep. That is a geographically large area though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or