Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 PM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times

Advertisements

In other words, if you're trying to find a reasonable size city in the USA, but trying to get away from excessive crime, smog, cold weather, hot weather, and cost of living, which city do you think is the best compromise to get away from as much of those as possible, while still being in a city with 200,000 or more population and not just a small town?

This assumes jobs are not a factor. Such as if you're retiring or you work from home via the internet or whatever, so it doesn't matter where you live.

By "hot weather" I mean hot enough to make you sweat even when you're relaxing in the shade. By "cold weather" I mean cold enough to give you frostbite. 25F with 2 feet of snow is fine.

One more factor I forgot to mention is bugs. Cities that have too many bugs are less desirable. Taking into account how obnoxious the bugs are. If they sting or bite or spread diseases, they're a lot more obnoxious. If they get in your face a lot, flying inches away from your face, that makes them obnoxious too.

Last edited by eok; 11-03-2016 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:13 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
In your dreams.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:47 AM

11 posts, read 9,980 times
Not sure if you can get away from bugs, ants, or anything like that. You might look at smaller towns like in north Georgia or SC.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:57 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Asheville, NC and Johnson City, TN could be somewhere to look into.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Sacramento maybe?

Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In other words, if you're trying to find a reasonable size city in the USA, but trying to get away from excessive crime, smog, cold weather, hot weather, and cost of living, which city do you think is the best compromise to get away from as much of those as possible, while still being in a city with 200,000 or more population and not just a small town?

This assumes jobs are not a factor. Such as if you're retiring or you work from home via the internet or whatever, so it doesn't matter where you live.

By "hot weather" I mean hot enough to make you sweat even when you're relaxing in the shade. By "cold weather" I mean cold enough to give you frostbite. 25F with 2 feet of snow is fine.

One more factor I forgot to mention is bugs. Cities that have too many bugs are less desirable. Taking into account how obnoxious the bugs are. If they sting or bite or spread diseases, they're a lot more obnoxious. If they get in your face a lot, flying inches away from your face, that makes them obnoxious too.
Probably not what you're looking for but I really enjoy living in Columbus, Ohio. It's a very comfortable city to live, people are welcoming, the economy is diverse, cost of living isn't crazy and there are plenty of nice communities to choose from in the city and surrounding areas. Cbus does get hot though in the summers and our winters are mild/average compared to a lot of the Midwest and Northeast but if you're coming from the sunbelt or west coast it might be "cold".

I'd also look into Sacramento, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Louisville.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Asheville, NC and Johnson City, TN could be somewhere to look into.
I'd look all the way on over to the Knoxville area too, and although there will be plenty of bugs anywhere in east TN I've never found it to be so bad that they interfere with my quality of life (unlike when I lived on the gulf coast!)
I have heard that bugs are less of a problem in some of the western states. No idea how accurate that is.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:03 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Alot of retirees and telecommuters like Colorado Springs. Very low housing costs per square foot, the winter is cold but there are many days with warm, downslope winds. Very nice temperate summer weather. Rather orderly for a top 50 city. The air quality is fairly good.

Reno is a very nice place. It is sort of pricey, but Carson City is just done the road and is more affordable. Very orderly, clean with a moderate climate. More mild winters then most of the country and the summer are moderate enough that many don't have air conditioning.

Reno also has ski resorts, water recreation and all the cities in northern California are a few hours away.

Also maybe non-coastal parts of Washington and Oregon might be nice to look into. Spokane, Richland, Eugene, Salem.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:37 AM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
City Data for Reno says it has an Air Quality Index (AQI) of 218, which is much worse than the average city.

AQI numbers tell how polluted a city's air is. The higher the number, the more polluted. Louisville, KY, and Billings, MT, get AQI's of 93.1 and 15.4, which are obviously both a lot better than Reno's 218.

Not that air quality is such a big factor to me, but it makes me wonder how Reno gets such a bad number.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:21 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
City Data for Reno says it has an Air Quality Index (AQI) of 218, which is much worse than the average city.

AQI numbers tell how polluted a city's air is. The higher the number, the more polluted. Louisville, KY, and Billings, MT, get AQI's of 93.1 and 15.4, which are obviously both a lot better than Reno's 218.

Not that air quality is such a big factor to me, but it makes me wonder how Reno gets such a bad number.
Reno backs up against the Sierra Nevada Mountains. My guess is that the wind can cross the mountains and blow the pollution away. It was the dustiest town I've ever been to in my life by far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.