U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:07 AM

570 posts, read 1,813,723 times

Advertisements

It's not a conspirancy, I know that, but they were never just for tornados. They just remind me of the Cold War and how people really thought that the Russians were going send nuclear missiles raining down on the US cities. That BS and fear bordered on conspiracy.

They are used to get peoples attention. I remember when they were first tested in the 1960's and they were called tornado sirens. I guess that sounded better than "air raid siren" or "there's-an-impending-disaster-headed-your-way-so-pay-attention siren"

Can anyone answer, do other cities have them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,676,118 times
No lie, I hear sirens on average every 10 seconds. NYC is drenched with cops. Where im at in the Bronx, the local police precinct is an impact precinct. These are areas with a large amount of crime. They get more cops than the average neighborhood. So I hear them constantly. I border another impact precinct, so I also hear them. Then the ambulances, fire trucks etc....

Im surprised my neighborhood has any crime. Considering the amount of cops. It's a testament to us.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'm bored right now...
What is a city that you can't walk through for 30 seconds without hearing a siren? New York and Chicago will obviously have the most due to density and numbers of total crimes, so other than those two...
ny and chi aren't special in that regard.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
It's not a conspirancy, I know that, but they were never just for tornados. They just remind me of the Cold War and how people really thought that the Russians were going send nuclear missiles raining down on the US cities. That BS and fear bordered on conspiracy.

They are used to get peoples attention. I remember when they were first tested in the 1960's and they were called tornado sirens. I guess that sounded better than "air raid siren" or "there's-an-impending-disaster-headed-your-way-so-pay-attention siren"

Can anyone answer, do other cities have them???
I think a lot of cities have them. Youngstown has them, and sounds them every (yes, EVERY) Saturday at noon. I grew up in the Massillon, Ohio area, (about 30,000 people) and I think I remember hearing an "air raid" siren once during a tornado warning. But I don't remember ever hearing them test it. One evening we were visiting my aunt and uncle in Wilmot, Ohio, (tiny village) and they used their "air raid" siren to let the kids know that curfew was in effect and they had to go home for the evening.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 86,089 times
I hear sirens in denver every day!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM

41 posts, read 127,499 times
i think it's the same every where now.lol

Old 02-26-2008, 07:34 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,985,336 times
No one mentioned San Fransisco ?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,702,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I've gone days without hearing sirens in Omaha, Denver, Minneapolis, SLC, and Des Moines. I can go a week without hearing one here in Rapid City.
Are you serious??? with cities that big?

Thats weird because I grew up in central Elyria, Ohio (just west of Cleveland) and I heard sirens at least every hour, sometimes every 5 minutes. Mostly police, than ambulances and fire trucks. I thought this was just about police and ambulance sirens though, what is with Tornado sirens? I have never heard a tornado siren in my life.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No lie, I hear sirens on average every 10 seconds. NYC is drenched with cops. Where im at in the Bronx, the local police precinct is an impact precinct. These are areas with a large amount of crime. They get more cops than the average neighborhood. So I hear them constantly. I border another impact precinct, so I also hear them. Then the ambulances, fire trucks etc....

Im surprised my neighborhood has any crime. Considering the amount of cops. It's a testament to us.
Yeah, but in the years to come (very soon!), NYPD is going to have a large decrease in amounts of officers. NYPD starts out at $25,100 a year... Suffolk County and Nassau County Police start out at around $85,000 per year. State Troopers start out at about $60,000 a year. Hm, which one should I choose? lol NYPD is falling apart... So much that they've resorted to hiring people with criminal records. So basically, the NYPD officer that's guarding the largest city in the country and you was a criminal and probably still spins reported crimes off as nothing in order to help his criminal buddies out. But NYC is still infested with cops, they seem to be on every corner.

Really gets you thinking...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:16 PM

552 posts, read 982,422 times
Tucson. It's mostly ambulance or fire engine sirens though, because of old people kicking the bucket/setting something on fire accidentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or